An honest discussion: what happened to Greg McDermott at ISU?

Bardman

Dec 7, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Does anyone find it a bit weird that McDermott has never once said anything publicly about Iowa State or his time there? I scoured the internet, there's no interviews where he reflects or any quotes like “when I was at Iowa State,” nothing. I understand being ashamed of your performance, but it’s still a bit weird to me. I’d personally pay money to hear him spill the beans in a tell all.

Reactions: joefrog and nrg4isu

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I have always been more curious of why he has had more success at Creighton. Similar to Shaka Smart not having success at Texas but a lot at Marquette.

There are some others out there too, that seem to struggle at one place but excel at another. Especially when it is at same or similar level.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and Bardman

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Does anyone find it a bit weird that McDermott has never once said anything publicly about Iowa State or his time there? I scoured the internet, there's no interviews where he reflects or any quotes like “when I was at Iowa State,” nothing. I understand being ashamed of your performance, but it’s still a bit weird to me. I’d personally pay money to hear him spill the beans in a tell all.

I'd like to know too.

But I can understand why he doesn't say anything. Hell, there really isn't anything to say.

Bardman

Dec 7, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I'd like to know too.

But I can understand why he doesn't say anything. Hell, there really isn't anything to say.
I just want to hear him be humble and admit what he learned. He’s proven he can coach, we can’t take that away from him at this point.

Reactions: cycloneML

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
You revived a 9 year old thread. What the hell, you still care. He admitted he didn’t know the type of players he needed to win in the Big XII. And he sucked as a coach here.

• Agree
Reactions: dafarmer and Aclone

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I just want to hear him be humble and admit what he learned. He’s proven he can coach, we can’t take that away from him at this point.
He and JP are still really close if that helps you sleep at night.

Reactions: madguy30

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick! WHY post this here?

Once again, we get to hear a sermon from the GMac fanboys on how he's a great coach and all the players he recruited with any talent whatsoever were thugs? Why can't we just admit that defending GMac and throwing ISU players under the bus go hand in hand? Of course, considering that our coach called his own damn press conference to throw players under the bus, it's not a shock that his fanboys do the same thing.

And comparing GMac to Izzo and Coach K? In the words of Sesame Street....."one of these things is NOT like the others" (HINT: the "different" one doesn't have any NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP trophies in his trophy case)

GMac is not our coach anymore (in case you didn't notice), so please take your damn whining to the Creighton messageboard and leave us be.
I miss ol' silent Bob.

Reactions: CYTWINCITIES

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Pre-portal world and Morgan screwed him with having guys wait to bail. Mac didn't realize that he couldn't slow teams down the way he did at UNI. His wife was really sick and he had that weighing on him. Iowa State's financial commitment to basketball wasn't what it is now.

Just wasn't a good fit for anybody at that particular point in time. Iowa State ended up better for it and Mac learned enough that he could make the jump with Creighton when they got in the Big East.

No hard feelings and everybody came out okay in the end. There's no need to keep beating this to death.

Reactions: cyclone13 and NWICY

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Up until ISU Greg was used to a game that had rules and everyone followed them (in the Valley). Came to ISU and the first thing that happend was two Guards went to him and said somthing like "we need to continue getting paid" and everyone at the major college level were are are back stabbing pricks. A direct quote I got "Greg was not readt for the Ceaspool that is major college sports".

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I blame the NCAA for not letting Lucca play. Also Wes Johnson transferring to Syracuse didn't help. There was plenty of talent and a pretty good assistant named TJ on the bench. But the teams lacked chemistry and depth.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'd like to know too.

Yep that era ended as good as it could have for both parties. He got out, we didn't pay a buy out and everyone ended up better off.