Official Announcement of TJ as the New Iowa State Mens BBall Coach

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
I noticed Craig Smith was a hot topic back then, just for reference, he's 21-35 in the Pac12 so far with 0 NCAA tourneys in 3 years.
I was a Craig Smith guy as well - though I'm not sure if I ever posted on it (I'm usually open to seeing how things play out). Not only has he been below average but he's had Brandon Carlson as a holdover who is an all-conference 7-footer all 3 years. *Matt Norlander soundboard* "I was wrong"

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
That's because he is a **** and knows Craig Smith is the best realistic candidate for the ISU job. Hope I am proven wrong.
Utah Utes (Pac-12 Conference) (2021–present)​
2021–22Utah11–204–1611th
2022–23Utah17–1510–107th
2023–24Utah16–117–9
Utah:44–46 (.489)21–35 (.375)

I credit Joefrog for posting his preferred candidate, and credit him for absolutely nothing else. Not terrible, but 7-9 in the PAC about to miss the tourney again.

With each new hire I step back, try to not be emotional and give each candidate a chance. It's always a crap shoot and fit matters. I thought Hoiberg and Otz were both brilliant hires the day they were made. I also did not want Otz when Hoiberg left, thought he needed more experience. Embarrassingly, I thought the Chiz was a great hire, it was quite the coup at the time to attract a mighty Texas OC to come to Ames. In fairness I think he probably was going to have a breakout year the year after he left as he had built up the roster quite a bit. It is generally the same crowd that sours the internet, but surprising to see some of the names liking the negative posts.

Reactions: madguy30 and Cyhig

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Jamie going to Jamie. For someone that came in claiming we needed to expect more, think of ourselves as a major conference program, no one uses it as a crutch more.

What coaches you can attract, and get donors to pay for is a reflection of the AD. Other things as well.
Actually it's a reflection of not having a law or medical school attached to your university or local oil money.

Reactions: OrangeCarrot

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Self
Huggins
Kruger
Beard
Drew
Weber
Shaka
Boynton
Dixon

......Otzelberger.

Lazy, small time, small-penised move from JP. CW's buddy-pumping podcast made it clear this was going to be the route. Friends matter more than good business decisions. Ridiculous
Update?

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
In my 30ish years with Iowa State, I can't think of a single hire that was this lazy and underwhelming.

I've been a heavy defender of Pollard until today. I could look past tucking windbreakers into black jeans and being overly preachy to the fanbase because he got results, but this is just too damn much.
Update?

Help Support Us

Become a patron