***2024 NCAA Wrestling - Session 6/FINALS (Sat., 6:00)***

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Finally watching the match. Penn State coaches calling for stalling repeatedly while David is doing mat returns likely influenced the refs to call so many asinine stalling calls during the match. Calling stalling on David for being pushed out of bounds as he came out of an escape at the edge of the mat is ridiculous. Nobody that isn't wrestling a Penn State wrestler gets called for that. Then the cherry on top. He gets a stalling call for going forward into a shot that results in a takedown. What. In. The. Actual. ****. The refs absolutely tried to steal this from David. If this was heavily bet on, there might be an investigation. I was very impressed with Mesenbrink's talent. He's not 1 point shy of DC yet, but a very solid freshman that will be trouble for the next 3 years. DC should've won by 3-4 points. The announcers were weird AF. David was clearly the better wrestler.
It looked like Cael bailed in a hurry as well.

Did he not even wait to congratulate a national champion from his alma mater?

Isn't that common courtesy?

Or was he that petty about not matching the 1997 Hawkeye's number of national champions?

Because, isn't team scoring somewhat changed with takedowns now being 3 and not 2?

Isn't it easier to increase the scoring margin now, which would add points to margins of victories?

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Yeah I am going to say based on the reactions to my post compared to yours, I do think I know. And I know exactly who was calling the matches tonight. I’ve followed wrestling and the MMA world for 25 years.
I don’t care about reactions on your post I’m just saying you have no idea how much those guys respect David and Nate Carr and their legacy. They can be impressed with MM, a lot of people are impressed with that kid he’s an absolute stud and great for the sport. But by saying that was the most unprofessional crap commentating and all they know is Penn State tells me you know nothing about who those guys are. They are legacies in this sport and live and breathe it every second of every day.

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
I don’t care about reactions on your post I’m just saying you have no idea how much those guys respect David and Nate Carr and their legacy. They can be impressed with MM, a lot of people are impressed with that kid he’s an absolute stud and great for the sport. But by saying that was the most unprofessional crap commentating and all they know is Penn State tells me you know nothing about who those guys are. They are legacies in this sport and live and breathe it every second of every day.
Cormier is terrible. Unprepared, doesn't know the rules and doesn't know the kids. Give me JB and Gibbons all day.

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
To the casual Iowa State fan that doesn’t know much about wrestling, maybe I guess?
You got me, I'm a casual college wrestling fan. Others who aren't seem to disagree with you. I'm a pretty serious MMA fan and DC is legit ass on UFC broadcasts who does not care to understand scoring or get better in that sport. I promise you DC does not "live and breathe it every second of every day" for college wrestling. The fact you even said that makes you a clown.

But hey, if it makes you feel superior to gatekeep a fringe sport other ISU alums are trying to get into, go ahead. Have a great night!

• Winner
Reactions: jctisu

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Cormier isn’t the best but he’s definitely not the worst. You guys must not know he is the head coach of one of the best high school wrestling teams in the country. The guy lives and breathes wrestling still and knows a thing or two.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Where do we make up DC's 20? Group effort from the 3 listed?
Bastida could very well be half of it. Then if a couple guys push into the 3rd place match vs the 5th place match that’s another 7. The other qualifiers who didn’t place win a couple matches and whoever takes over DCs spot wins a couple matches and we have 20 pretty easily.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
It looked like Cael bailed in a hurry as well.

Did he not even wait to congratulate a national champion from his alma mater?

Isn't that common courtesy?

Or was he that petty about not matching the 1997 Hawkeye's number of national champions?

Because, isn't team scoring somewhat changed with takedowns now being 3 and not 2?

Isn't it easier to increase the scoring margin now, which would add points to margins of victories?
Cael is a petty bit*ch

condor

Feb 2, 2018
Cormier isn’t the best but he’s definitely not the worst. You guys must not know he is the head coach of one of the best high school wrestling teams in the country. The guy lives and breathes wrestling still and knows a thing or two.
Why didn't Carr get choice of position when Mesenbrink took a timeout at :44 seconds in the 2nd period? He clearly stopped the action. Both DC and JB thought he should have gotten choice.

condor

Feb 2, 2018
I'll agree there are people out there I like better than DC on commentary, but I do appreciate DC for being wholly unpolished yet somehow find a way to deliver.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Walked into a bar Friday night just in time to catch the Carr's semifinal match against O'Toole. I noticed there was a vocal supporter cheering for O'Toole back by the pool table. I thought "seems odd that this bar would have Mizzou fans in it", but I glanced back, saw a black and yellow t-shirt, and thought "hmm, guess so".

This fan really whooped it up in the 3rd when it looked like O'Toole had it. I turned around and took a closer look, and this time, I noticed that the black and yellow t-shirt was emblazoned with the words "Hawkeye Wrestling".

Are you kidding me? Your wrestler just got absolutely worked by a Penn State wrestler in the same semifinal (a sight that is becoming quite common place), and yet, your very existence in that moment is defined by cheering vocally and aggressively against ISU?

Y'all would be so proud if you could have heard me roar it up when Carr took O'Toole down with 10 seconds to go. Let out a bellowing cheer that echoed throughout that cavernous, concrete bar. My wife asked me "I thought you didn't like wrestling that much?"

"I do tonight honey."

H

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Living and breathing a sport and coaching it well are both separate skills than being a commentator. The commentators were legitimately terrible all last night. They may love the sport, but they need to improve their skill in commentating it.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If you enjoyed watching this team the last 3 days as much as I did and have never been to a CRTC or Cardinal and Gold event, I can’t recommend more strongly how you should hit one of those up this summer/off season. This team is super personable and awesome to be around. I promise you that you will have a good time. Show up and support them at these!

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Ok

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Living and breathing a sport and coaching it well are both separate skills than being a commentator. The commentators were legitimately terrible all last night. They may love the sport, but they need to improve their skill in commentating it.
Hey now you don’t know **** dude! Do you know who these guys even are? In fact do you even know who you are man?!?

Hope the sarcasm was laid on thick here.