Best Campustown Bars by Decade

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Silver Night at Dean’s list around 2000-2001. Sips was a new bar in 2001. That was the one the athletes went to.

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
$.75 G&T's ($1.50 doubles) Thursday nights at Thumbs. Pound em proudly and forget about Friday.

Also, FAC for me and a couple buddies was always pitchers of PBR, popcorn and a pack of Camel's at Welch Avenue Station. Then $1.00 Chili Dogs at DQ before a regroup and rally for the rest of the night.

Reactions: Al_4_State

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
What year was that? I didn’t know that happened.
Summer of ‘09.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I've skipped a few pages, so not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but in the late '90s we would go to The Zone on Friday nights for penny pitchers. It was above the Corner Pocket. The most memorable moment from that place was the night Hoiberg and Loren Meyer showed up and bought a round for the bar. It was a fun place.
That's the place I was trying to think of yesterday.. Penny pitchers at The Zone was usually good for a memorable story.

Reactions: flynnhicks03

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
In that time frame...
Monday - Welch Ave (free pool/foosball)
Tuesday - I can't remember, hopefully I stayed home
Wednesday - Cy's Roost (buck burgers)
Thursday - Tazzles (all you can drink for cover charge)
Friday - People's after class, the pool hall downtown for penny pitchers for a few hours, Dean's List for nickel and dime drinks to close. Hunky Dory's sometimes replaced the pool hall
Saturday - drinker's choice
Sunday - sleep
Feels like I must have known you without knowing you. Sometimes we'd do $5 beer blast at Hunky Dory's on Thursdays instead of Tazzles.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Capones had a nice semester run then I don’t know what happened.
I remember that. I think it benefited from having space and being a tier below Cy's/Paddy's/Mickey's as far as name recognition and popularity. Then it became packed like any other bar around Welch.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
When I was there in the mid 90’s, I recall the main Campustown bars were People’s, Tazzles, Cy’s Roost, Welsh Ave, and Dean’s List.

Welsh Ave on Wednesdays for burger basket specials, Welsh Ave on Thursdays for pitcher night (and/or used those coupons from the coupon books you’d get at the bookstore), and Tazzle’s on Friday nights for the unlimited $4 drinks. Only hit People’s pending on bands playing and never hit the Dean’s List.
(1996-2001 era) My Junior and (2) senior years when I was 21 I remember Monday nights at Peoples for Long Island Ice Tea nights. Summer was always so easy going. Work all day then hit a place at night, saw the same people every place. It was great.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Summer of ‘09.

Wow. Never heard that (granted, couple of years after I left).

Doesn't really surprise me. That place was a dump when I lived there and that only the second year that it had been open. I still have no idea how any of those apartments met modern building codes. I remember one night we had some random guy show up on our balcony because he had climbed across one of the exposed exterior beams from another balcony at midnight.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Wow. Never heard that (granted, couple of years after I left).

Doesn't really surprise me. That place was a dump when I lived there and that only the second year that it had been open. I still have no idea how any of those apartments met modern building codes. I remember one night we had some random guy show up on our balcony because he had climbed across one of the exposed exterior beams from another balcony at midnight.
I remember touring that place when we were looking for off-campus housing. One of the bedrooms literally just had a curtain for a door, and this was when they were a year or two old.

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
Summer of ‘09.

My roomate at the time was a witness to this - it messed her up for awhile... One day I came home from work and the cops were there getting her statement.