‘23 Growing to ‘24

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I think this offseason will be a very good indicator of what we'll be as long as NIL remains the wild west.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Correct. And I think the future is very bright for our young offensive players. I don't mean to give an impression that I don't.

I just feel like someone has to push back on the idea that the defense is experienced, or underperforming.
Its not been perfect, not at all. But again, its even younger than the offense, and to date, other than one game, has given the offense and the team every chance to go out and win a football game.

We're giving up 17.8 points per game defensively taking away the pick 6's. That'd be 16th nationally.

In every game against people not named Oklahoma, we're giving up 16.5 (That'd be 10th nationally) including pick 6's.

Outside of Oklahoma and pick 6's... so all but ONE of our games

We're giving up 14.2 points a game defensively.
And we have 3 losses in those games.

So that's why I see red when people criticize the defense for taking a step back or not being as good. Yes, the pressure and TFL's are not where we'd like them to be. But in all honesty if you told me

DL - 3 sophomores, 2 Juniors and a freshman
LB - 4 sophomores, 3 freshman and 1 Senior
DB's - 3 Seniors (1 starting), 2 Juniors, 3 Sophomores and 3 Freshmen

And you're be Top 55 or better in almost ALL defensive categories, top 30 in some , other than TFL's and Sacks..... and give up 14 points a game in 9 of 10 games minus points scored against the offense....

Hell yes.

alexssdean12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2018
Correct. And I think the future is very bright for our young offensive players. I don't mean to give an impression that I don't.

I just feel like someone has to push back on the idea that the defense is experienced, or underperforming.
Its not been perfect, not at all. But again, its even younger than the offense, and to date, other than one game, has given the offense and the team every chance to go out and win a football game.

We're giving up 17.8 points per game defensively taking away the pick 6's. That'd be 16th nationally.

In every game against people not named Oklahoma, we're giving up 16.5 (That'd be 10th nationally) including pick 6's.

Outside of Oklahoma and pick 6's... so all but ONE of our games

We're giving up 14.2 points a game defensively.
And we have 3 losses in those games.

So that's why I see red when people criticize the defense for taking a step back or not being as good. Yes, the pressure and TFL's are not where we'd like them to be. But in all honesty if you told me

DL - 3 sophomores, 2 Juniors and a freshman
LB - 4 sophomores, 3 freshman and 1 Senior
DB's - 3 Seniors (1 starting), 2 Juniors, 3 Sophomores and 3 Freshmen

And you're be Top 55 or better in almost ALL defensive categories, top 30 in some , other than TFL's and Sacks..... and give up 14 points a game in 9 of 10 games minus points scored against the offense....

Hell yes.
Call me crazy but this is why I think there needs to be medium points scored metrics. I don't think average should not be considered but being able to take away some large outliers would be really interesting.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Just for kicks I started writing down what I thought of next years team:

QB: Becht, Kohl
RB: Norton, Sanders, Sama
TE: Brahmer, Moore, Burkel, Klotz
OL: Black, Bonifis, Neal, Miller, Hasert? Maro?
WR: Noel, Higgins, ?

DL: Orange, Singleton
DE: Jones, Ezeogu, Petersen
LB: McLaughlin, Lovett, Sadowski, Bacon
C: Purchase, ?
S: Fryler, Cooper, Verdon

Feels to me like we need a 3rd WR, a 2nd corner and a left guard. LB may not be a strength, but there's a lot of young depth. In fact, there's a lot of depth at every position. Next year feels like a year where there's multiple new faces starting despite other starters returning.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Just for kicks I started writing down what I thought of next years team:

QB: Becht, Kohl
RB: Norton, Sanders, Sama
TE: Brahmer, Moore, Burkel, Klotz
OL: Black, Bonifis, Neal, Miller, Hasert? Maro?
WR: Noel, Higgins, ?

DL: Orange, Singleton
DE: Jones, Ezeogu, Petersen
LB: McLaughlin, Lovett, Sadowski, Bacon
C: Purchase, ?
S: Fryler, Cooper, Verdon

Feels to me like we need a 3rd WR, a 2nd corner and a left guard. LB may not be a strength, but there's a lot of young depth. In fact, there's a lot of depth at every position. Next year feels like a year where there's multiple new faces starting despite other starters returning.
I absolutely love Kohl and know that he and his family absolutely love Iowa State. But he's not going to ride the bench for 3 years. I expect he stays next year but then he's out if not starting. He's raw in areas but has a ton of upside to be a backup his entire college career.

Sama I don't worry about both because of the position and the location. Yes, he could get good money elsewhere, but he'll never have as much potential game plan focus to get him ready for the next level than at ISU.

Brahmer is probably the next most critical on Offense. I think he sticks around as he's going to be very prominent in an area we still have a lot of possible but unproven talent.

Orange worries me the most on Defense.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I absolutely love Kohl and know that he and his family absolutely love Iowa State. But he's not going to ride the bench for 3 years. I expect he stays next year but then he's out if not starting. He's raw in areas but has a ton of upside to be a backup his entire college career.

That sounds about right. Hell, it's what I'd do if I were in his (very large) shoes. Unfortunately for him, what is his ceiling for a landing spot? Something like NDSU?

Reactions: Jer

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

Sama I don't worry about both because of the position and the location. Yes, he could get good money elsewhere, but he'll never have as much potential game plan focus to get him ready for the next level than at ISU.

Brahmer is probably the next most critical on Offense. I think he sticks around as he's going to be very prominent in an area we still have a lot of possible but unproven talent.

I would be shocked if Kohl transferred this year (unless he transferred down due to playing time, which I don’t think he’ll do this year).

The reason why is P5 programs go after previously established starters at other P5 programs who they can either pay more to (Penix, LSU’s Daniels, Notre Dame’s Hartman, Oregon’s Bo Nix) or who have been replaced as a starter (McNamara, Mertz, Tennessee’s Milton, Slovis, etc)

The last program that threw NIL at a highly touted backup prospect (that I can remember) was Texas and Ewers. But, he was the top rated kid out of high school. Some blue bloods may throw the brinks truck at Archie now that Ewers is coming back, but I don’t think there’ll be much of a market among P5 programs for Kohl this year.

Last edited:
  • Agree

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

Agreed on Brahmer.

Sama being local certainly helps. Probably easier to retain Iowans than out-of-state kids

• Agree

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I would be shocked if Kohl transferred this year (unless he transferred down due to playing time, which I don’t think he’ll do this year).

The reason why is P5 programs go after previously established starters at other P5 programs who they can either pay more to (Penix, LSU’s Daniels, Notre Dame’s Hartman, Oregon’s Bo Nix) or who have been replaced as a starter (McNamara, Mertz, Tennessee’s Milton, Slovis, etc)

The last program that threw NIL at a highly touted backup prospect (that I can remember) was Texas and Ewers. But, he was the top rated kid out of high school. Some blue bloods may throw the brinks truck at Archie now that Ewers is coming back, but I don’t think there’ll be much of a market among P5 programs for Kohl this year.
Yeah, that's why I said after this next year. He was pretty raw coming in and obviously hasn't had a way to showcase improvement, and hopefully won't if Becht stays healthy and consistent, for a while. I don't think he'd sit for a 3rd season though.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Good list. Here's my order of concern:

Malik Verdon
Benjamin Brahmer
Domonique Orange
Tyler Onyedim
Jeremiah Cooper (I think he's a bit undersized otherwise he'd be more highly sought after)
Rocco Becht
Beau Fryler
Abu Sama
Jaylin Noel

^Those are guys that may have some suitors in the off season. I'm not too worried about losing starters along the offensive line or in the linebacking corps. Per usual, we'll probably lose some WRs & RBs looking for more playing time. JJ Kohl leaving wouldn't shock me either.
I don't know about Cooper - He's a very physical and strong 185 right now. For reference, Georgia's SS Bullard is 5'11 195.

And NIL suitors are looking for the best CFB players right now. Cooper is the best college player on ISUs roster, and is playing a position that is becoming the vogue position for the blue bloods to hoard talent and overcommit scholarships to vs. the number of guys needed. It makes sense in college based on age, but guys that can play interior DL and versatile safeties are the toughest to find. Unlike the NFL, college teams can play tweeners on the edge and can modify defense to work with the CB talent you have. There's no hiding safeties and interior DL.

But I agree, Verdon and Brahmer are the next biggest concerns. Hell, all those guys above are probably going to have options, and let's hope they see the net benefit of being at ISU as being their best option.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, that's why I said after this next year. He was pretty raw coming in and obviously hasn't had a way to showcase improvement, and hopefully won't if Becht stays healthy and consistent, for a while. I don't think he'd sit for a 3rd season though.
Don't forget SEP QB coming in. Could be likely starter after a few years of learning from Rocco. Kohl is gone (my guess) after next season if Rocco stays healthy and continues to improve. Fall camp will be intense. JJs shot to leapfrog Rocco. Time will tell. Good problem for team to have.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Don't forget SEP QB coming in. Could be likely starter after a few years of learning from Rocco. Kohl is gone (my guess) after next season if Rocco stays healthy and continues to improve. Fall camp will be intense. JJs shot to leapfrog Rocco. Time will tell. Good problem for team to have.
Can't blame Kohl at all if he looks elsewhere. Hope he stays, but wouldn't bear any ill will toward him if he leaves.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
But who's to also say that campbell doesn't become active in the transfer portal as well? They usually target an OL, DL, or WR. So, where one might be worried we lose a guy or two to NIL$, we can still gain some too.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
But who's to also say that campbell doesn't become active in the transfer portal as well? They usually target an OL, DL, or WR. So, where one might be worried we lose a guy or two to NIL$, we can still gain some too.
I'd have to imagine nearly all of the NIL funds available to the football program will be used for retention, not replacement. Not only does that probably yield better value given the relationship is already there, I imagine most replacements we could afford to bring in would be a noticeable step down over the guy their taking over for.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021

Kohl I can see leaving now. With the kid coming in next year, Hughes, .... as much as I hope he stays, from his POV... IDK what the upside is? He'll be a year removed from playing. Very minimal if any chance of becoming the starter. And give other schools another year to recruit or find a different QB...

Agree on Sama.
Black I would worry about a little on the OL. OL are really hard to get in the portal and a kid that big and strong with room to grow....

Cooper - Verdon - Freyler - worry me on defense. Right now, at the moment, we seem incredibly reliant on those 3 on defense. As the rest of the defense grows, that should become less the case. But we've seen over the last year or two much the defense struggles when they are out for a couple of games. Imagine them just being gone.

Agree on Orange. Although I think teams might want to see a full year of good production before biting too hard but he would be a concern as well.

TO also