“Frick” Santa Claus

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Have you been around most parents with young kids? Tons of “I need to take care of me to be the best parent I can be” types. Some combination of making sure their kids know they gave them the presents and being worried about some little detail ruining their kids while they spend very little time with them.

Haha yes. They think that children shouldn't be given everything or be dependent on technology, but HEY! Remember it was mommy who gave you, the 2 year old, a new iPod so you can watch Cocomelon on demand 24/7 while she catches up on the Real Housewives and Candy Crush.

Reactions: Ankency

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
Maybe the funniest thing my daughter has ever said was when a grocery checker asked her if she was excited for Santa. My then 4 year old matter-of-factly informs her that Santa is dead.
We had explained who St Nicholas was, so I think that's what she was getting at, but she didn't add that context.
Christmas isn't about the magic, or the fun, or the presents, so why would I promote any of that commercialized crap. I don't care about getting credit for the presents we give the kids, but I do want them to appreciate and be thankful for what they have/get. I might not tell my kids the truth all the time, but if they ask me a question I'm not going to lie to their face.

Reactions: AppleCornCy

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
From Article:

I was waiting for a line like this, I can't believe CF hasn't switched this into a religion topic yet.
I mean I don't think that is slamming religion at all, the study they cite refers to a cohort of kindergarten kids, I don't think it's any condemnation that a 5 year old who grows up in a faith community may not necessarily have a developed idea of which parts are allegorical and which are real. Because they're 5.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Can we at least agree giving large gifts from Santa is doing those less fortunate kids a disservice?

What’s your fix? Take away the experience for everyone because some can’t have the same?

Reactions: Ankency

CycloneFan2255

Nov 2, 2021
Can we at least agree giving large gifts from Santa is doing those less fortunate kids a disservice?

Totally agree. What I do in my home and how I spend my disposable income on my kids at Christmas , whether it’s from some pretend fat white guy or from their dad personally, I really should consider the finances of every other family in the world and how they are going to lie about life to their kids.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
What’s your fix? Take away the experience for everyone because some can’t have the same?
What part of large gifts don’t you understand? You think kids don’t notice that stuff and wonder why Santa punished them?

• Creative
Reactions: NWICY

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Totally agree. What I do in my home and how I spend my disposable income on my kids at Christmas , whether it’s from some pretend fat white guy or from their dad personally, I really should consider the finances of every other family in the world and how they are going to lie about life to their kids.
Kids already know their socio economic status, no need to add some jovial made up reason to the pile by having expensive gifts come from Santa.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
That is definitely a unique situation.
Not sure it’s all the unique although it is probably at the extreme end of the scale.

My daughter is also three and she is definitely skeptical. She is excited about the idea, but still is afraid of Santa at the mall (as we’re about half the kids we watched while waiting in line this year). She continually asks me how Santa gets in the house and wants to make sure he doesn’t come upstairs. When I explain the whole thing to her she usually says “that’s weird”. Which is hard to argue with :)

At the end of the day, She was really excited last night to leave him cookies and of course excited this morning when she found presents and half-eaten cookies. But there is still a sense of reluctance which is probably healthy.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
What’s a large gift? Where’s the line?
I think that’s something that you can use your common sense on and don’t need to be told by someone. Of course everyone will have a different line, but most people know a large gift when they see one

It really seems like you’re just being obtuse

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron