“Prime Rib” vs Ribeye Roast vs a chunk of Ribeye

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Question for the meatheads of CF:

i need to buy a chunk of meat to make “Prime Rib” (no bone in it, which is what I think a true Prime Rib would be?)

I’d like to get it at Costco. What should I look for on the label?

Reactions: cyfan21

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
You will want a boneless prime rib roast. It's a rib roast, with the Prime designation. If you truly want prime rib, make sure it's not a choice or select rib roast.

Not sure what your reasoning for going boneless is, but I'm a big fan of having the bones be a roasting rack that also provides flavor. The bones are easy to take off, if not already done for you at the meat counter.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You will want a boneless prime rib roast. Prime Rib is Prime Rib, it is it's own cut.

Not sure what your reasoning for going boneless is, but I'm a big fan of having the bones be a roasting rack that also provides flavor. The bones are easy to take off, if not already done for you at the meat counter.

Im not cooking it, just paying for it.just Following orders.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Question for the meatheads of CF:

i need to buy a chunk of meat to make “Prime Rib” (no bone in it, which is what I think a true Prime Rib would be?)

I’d like to get it at Costco. What should I look for on the label?
Was trying to have a productive morning and this caused me to watch the OCB training video in its entirety.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Get the bone in (standing rib roast) if you can. Prime or choice would both be fine. The only no-no would be getting a select no-roll ribeye.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
They are all the same piece of meat a ribeye roast just isn't prime grade and always go with the bone.
Agreed. "Go with the bone"
It's not that hard to carve around and it adds a ton of flavor. If you want, you can cut them off ahead of time, but still cook them together. Or ask the butcher to remove the bones, and include them. Then when it's done, you just toss the already removed bones, and carve away.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Regarding the bone, which do most of you do?

Cut the bone off and tie it back on to the roast? Or do you cook with bone attached and cut the bone off after cooking?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Regarding the bone, which do most of you do?

Cut the bone off and tie it back on to the roast? Or do you cook with bone attached and cut the bone off after cooking?
Cut it off and tie it back on. If I'm dropping $150-$200 on a piece of meat, I want it to be as good as it can be. And the bone has an impact on the end result.