“Prime Rib” vs Ribeye Roast vs a chunk of Ribeye

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Cut it off and tie it back on. If I'm dropping $150-$200 on a piece of meat, I want it to be as good as it can be. And the bone has an impact on the end result.

That's the way I have always done it, but wasn't sure if there was a difference between leaving it on, other than its easier.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Chateaubriand was on the menu for $64 at the restaurant Saturday night. Prime rib is worth the cost.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
What? $100 worth would easily feed like 8 ppl, lol.

We just burnt through an $80 Ribeye Roast (boneless) w/ 4 Ppl. We averaged 12-16 oz cuts. Also if he buys bone-in… that’s going to increase your gross weight, but greatly reduce your net. I guess if you/your guest want 4 oz slices of true prime rib… you can spend $100 on 8 ppl. If that’s the case I’d just buy a beef tenderloin and call it good.

• Winner
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot and mkadl

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
Along that same topic, cooking suggestions. I mean, I have instructions that I follow each year and am always looking for different options.

If the weather holds some, I love dropping it on the Traeger, but I don't have an insulated one, so it's really weather dependent....

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Along that same topic, cooking suggestions. I mean, I have instructions that I follow each year and am always looking for different options.

If the weather holds some, I love dropping it on the Traeger, but I don't have an insulated one, so it's really weather dependent....
I just made one for Thanksgiving. Rubbed with a little vegetable oil, and a large amount of salt and pepper about 48 hours before cooking. Let it come up to room temperature before cooking for sure. I put it in a 250 degree oven until the internal temp was 125. Then pulled it and let it rest about 10-15 minutes while I cranked the heat in the oven up as high as it would go (500 or above). Then threw the roast back in for another 10-15 minutes until the crust was where I wanted.

It's the first time I've tried that method. I've done the "blast it then turn off the oven and leave it for a couple hours" method. I've done it in the smoker. You can get good results in many different ways.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
What? $100 worth would easily feed like 8 ppl, lol.
$100 / $17/lb = 5.88lb of beef

Assume that cooks down to 5lb (I'd guess it doesn't cook down that much, but whatever)

A serving of beef is 1/4lb (3oz, a piece the size of a deck of cards). Even with 8 people and assuming a cooked weight of 5lbs, that's 10oz of meat per person. Figure dudes probably eat 12-16oz, and ladies eat 6-8oz, and it's totally reasonable to think that would feed 8 people.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Cut it off and tie it back on. If I'm dropping $150-$200 on a piece of meat, I want it to be as good as it can be. And the bone has an impact on the end result.
Interesting. I have never done this cut of meat before...but very interested. Is there a difference from tied on versus bone in final outcome?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
As far as which is better, I understand they're all the same cut, but a steak just always taste better than a roast IMO.

Hy-Vee in Waukee had some nice full strip cuts. With 1 inch steaks I counted 10-12 per $100. That's a deal. Was the reserve grade btw.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Interesting. I have never done this cut of meat before...but very interested. Is there a difference from tied on versus bone in final outcome?
Not anything noticable.

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl and JCity

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
What are people's preferences between prime rib and beef tenderloin?

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Quick question. If you’re buying the rib roast per pound. How much does the bone cost in the per pound? Is it cost effective when feeding 8-10 people? I’ve always cooked without the bone. Thanks in advance.

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
Sous Vide is the best cooking method second best would be the oven high heat then shut it down approach. If you have kids or idiots around and choose the oven method you need to be prepared to decapitate anyone that approaches the oven with an intent to open it.
Bone in is much better than boneless but to each his own.
I usually figure 1/2 pound per person.
The one I bought is prime Angus Waygu hybrid 7 ribs and the price was $24 a pound which was about the same as more pedestrian choices I saw advertised.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Sous Vide is the best cooking method second best would be the oven high heat then shut it down approach. If you have kids or idiots around and choose the oven method you need to be prepared to decapitate anyone that approaches the oven with an intent to open it.
Bone in is much better than boneless but to each his own.
I usually figure 1/2 pound per person.
The one I bought is prime Angus Waygu hybrid 7 ribs and the price was $24 a pound which was about the same as more pedestrian choices I saw advertised.

Problem with this method is if you only have one oven, and need to heat other things up too while the roast is cooking.