“Prime Rib” vs Ribeye Roast vs a chunk of Ribeye

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
What are people's preferences between prime rib and beef tenderloin?

They both have their place.

Tenderloin's biggest feature is its tenderness. It doesn't taste as good as many other cuts. In fact, it doesn't really have much flavor at all. That doesn't mean you can't make it taste good. Beef Wellington is a good application or au poivre is fantastic as well.

Rib roast doesn't require as much to make it taste good. You're going to be happy with just some salt and pepper. Maybe a little horseradish.

Reactions: mkadl

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I've done the "blast it then turn off the oven and leave it for a couple hours"
I tried that method one time and it was just slightly warm when I took it out of the oven. If I do one again I would try the reverse sear technique

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Janny

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Not anything noticable.
So the point in doing that way is that the bone is removed by the butcher and thus deliver the same net-net flavoring and cleaner cutting/presentation once finished?

Reactions: Mr Janny

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
They both have their place.

Tenderloin's biggest feature is its tenderness. It doesn't taste as good as many other cuts. In fact, it doesn't really have much flavor at all. That doesn't mean you can't make it taste good. Beef Wellington is a good application or au poivre is fantastic as well.

Rib roast doesn't require as much to make it taste good. You're going to be happy with just some salt and pepper. Maybe a little horseradish.

I'm leaning tenderloin as I think it will be a bit more kid friendly.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
is making a primerib as easy as it seems? would like to try
Pretty foolproof if you have a good sized roast a small one will be tricky. Cook it for a while, turn oven off and let sit, do not open! Fire back up for a bit before finishing. Let sit. Serve. There are good YouTube videos for it.

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
Regarding the bone, which do most of you do?

Cut the bone off and tie it back on to the roast? Or do you cook with bone attached and cut the bone off after cooking?
I prefer it to be attached

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
Quick question. If you’re buying the rib roast per pound. How much does the bone cost in the per pound? Is it cost effective when feeding 8-10 people? I’ve always cooked without the bone. Thanks in advance.
Generally with the bone costs less overall as the butcher doesn't have do anything to the meat.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I cook a standing choice rib roast every year. I'd love to do an actual prime roast, but I'm a journalist, so I can't afford that. I'm lucky to afford even a choice roast. My grocery store puts them on sale for $7.99/lb at Christmastime. Prime is obviously better, but if the cook knows what they're doing, they'll still get great results with choice.

Reactions: JCity

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Along that same topic, cooking suggestions. I mean, I have instructions that I follow each year and am always looking for different options.

If the weather holds some, I love dropping it on the Traeger, but I don't have an insulated one, so it's really weather dependent....

I coat my roast in a garlic herb butter, then put it in the oven at 450 for the first 15 minutes to help jump start the bark, then turn the oven down to 325 and cook to temp. I keep a probe in the roast and pull it out of the oven when it hits about 123 degrees, get it under a foil tent and let it rest for 20-30 minutes.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You know what? **** you. That song is gonna be stuck in my head all damn day now.
You know what? Some day somebody's gonna make you want to turn around and say goodbye.
Until then, baby, are you going to let 'em hold you down and make you cry?

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee and JM4CY

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
For a "lower cost" option...take a nice marinated tri-tip (3-4 lbs)...sear in an oiled skillet on med-high heat 4 mins a side...put in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 10 mins a pound (for rare), 15 mins a pound (for medium). Pull out an let rest for 10 mins minimum. Cut against the grain.
Fantastic...

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
For a "lower cost" option...take a nice marinated tri-tip (3-4 lbs)...sear in an oiled skillet on med-high heat 4 mins a side...put in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 10 mins a pound (for rare), 15 mins a pound (for medium). Pull out an let rest for 10 mins minimum. Cut against the grain.
Fantastic...
Truth. Tri-tip is not as popular in the Midwest as it is in other places, and I'm not sure why. I have family on the west coast and tri-tip is something they cook a ton of. My uncle would always grill up a few of them for family gatherings. Slice them thin for sandwiches. Always a big hit

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Porchetta for the win
porchetta.jpg