1st post, Willing to pay $500 for

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The Huskers in there likely bought them from a scalper and did not donate $500 to park for 1 game.

Which branches to a different argument -- why are there ISU fans that would rather turn a buck by selling parking/tickets to opposing fans instead of going to the game themselves?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
And honestly, if our fans were spending $500 on parking passes for a single road game, I would find that kind of pathetic. I know we need the fans to give more for the program, but I've always been proud of ISU fans generally having meaningful lives and common sense.

They know they can make one outlay on parking and a season ticket, use it for 1 game, sell off the rest and still come out ahead of where they would have been by trying to purchase one single-game ticket and parking.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Which branches to a different argument -- why are there ISU fans that would rather turn a buck by selling parking/tickets to opposing fans instead of going to the game themselves?

Too much common sense?

These folks might also buy extra tickets with the express hope of turning a profit. I'm thinking about doing it for the Iowa game this year.

I guess it comes back to ISU football being entertainment for many fans. It isn't the core of their being like most Husker fans and to a lesser extent Hawk fans. If you paid $60 for a ticket and some idiot is offering you $400, I can absolutely see why you'd sell it. Especially if your tailgate set up has a TV and what not. $340 is a lot of cash for some folks. My guess is that this happens at a lot of schools, but there is enough demand by other fans of that same team to snap up those tickets.

In the end it all comes down to lack of historical success. ISU fans are used to losing, because its mostly all we know. They probably see it as "hey, I can turn a buck and hedge my day. I'll get to watch the game, and if the 'Clones win I'll be here for the party, and if they lose I'm still up a few hundred backs to help dull the pain".

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
but there is enough demand by other fans of that same team to snap up those tickets.

This quote pretty much sums up why ISU has historically been behind the curb in football. The demand NEEDS to be there from ISU fans, not the opposing fans.

A strong following with financial support breeds success.....or success breeds a strong following or financial support.

It is a chicken/egg argument, but programs have to have both to be consistently successful. If ISU never has fans that tell Husker/Hawk fans to get bent because they'd rather watch the game then make a quick buck, the ISU football program will never get to the same level as Iowa, because you can't consistently recruit against better programs if your program doesn't sell out its stadium and generate large donations that build upgrades for the program.

It will take a mindset change in the ISU fan base for the program to start winning on a consistent basis......hell, even if Rhoads is the guy that can do it, the donors will have to pay KF type money to keep him if he ever has the success ISU fans hope he can have, because if they don't, someone else will and Rhoads could be gone - then ISU has to start all over again.

Fan support is EVERYTHING in college football.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
People biotching about NU:
Everyone forgets that the state of Nebraska has 1 big NCAA football team, while Iowa has 2, and 3 if you count UNI. I would assume there would also be more Simpsons, Centrals, Wartburgs, in Iowa than in Nebraska.
So we have our fans and money spread out a little more than Nebraska. I'm more proud of that than people spending a ridiculous amount of money for a parking spot.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Yeah it's a tough deadline... They only give you severals months, same time every year, very difficult paperwork...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah it's a tough deadline... They only give you severals months, same time every year, very difficult paperwork...

Well i think part of the confusion is from it not being a problem to order later in past years. It just caught some off guard.

Part of that has to be from the closing of 85W for the new football facility, but even then, this has to point to some solid sales of those passes.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
My cousin and I both got letters in the mail informing us about the deadline to buy the parking pass....however we probably got that because we donated early as well.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This quote pretty much sums up why ISU has historically been behind the curb in football. The demand NEEDS to be there from ISU fans, not the opposing fans.

A strong following with financial support breeds success.....or success breeds a strong following or financial support.

It is a chicken/egg argument, but programs have to have both to be consistently successful. If ISU never has fans that tell Husker/Hawk fans to get bent because they'd rather watch the game then make a quick buck, the ISU football program will never get to the same level as Iowa, because you can't consistently recruit against better programs if your program doesn't sell out its stadium and generate large donations that build upgrades for the program.

It will take a mindset change in the ISU fan base for the program to start winning on a consistent basis......hell, even if Rhoads is the guy that can do it, the donors will have to pay KF type money to keep him if he ever has the success ISU fans hope he can have, because if they don't, someone else will and Rhoads could be gone - then ISU has to start all over again.

That's easy to say in your position, but if you traded ISU and Iowa's historical records, things would be flipped. If Iowa was historically a poor program, Iowa fan support would suck too.

It's a chicken/egg thing, but for the last 30 years, outside a terrible 3 year span, Iowa has been a decent program. WINNING is everything. Hayden Fry built a winner out of ****. ISU needs their Hayden Fry. My mom went to Iowa during the Cummings era and she talks about half empty stadiums and people giving away tickets for free. Hard to imagine today.

Reactions: CykoAGR

clonz

Aug 7, 2008
I have have sold extra tickets to an Iowa-ISU game before, I sold the tickets for $200 a piece and donated half of the money to ISU. I figured if I was going to sell them to an opposing fan at least some of their money could help fund our program. This was a game in Iowa City, I did try to find an ISU fan to buy them first.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
That's easy to say in your position, but if you traded ISU and Iowa's historical records, things would be flipped. If Iowa was historically a poor program, Iowa fan support would suck too.

It's a chicken/egg thing, but for the last 30 years, outside a terrible 3 year span, Iowa has been a decent program. WINNING is everything. Hayden Fry built a winner out of ****. ISU needs their Hayden Fry. My mom went to Iowa during the Cummings era and she talks about half empty stadiums and people giving away tickets for free. Hard to imagine today.

Just look at Carver. It is a lot easier to support a winner. The last decade for Iowa football has been very successful and they have capitalized on that success. What will happen if Iowa football has 3 or 4 years of 3-9 or 4-8 records like the end of Hayden's and beginning of Kirk's career? Both sides have a lot of bandwagon fans, especially Iowa. In a small state with two BCS schools, we both need those fans to fill up a stadium game after game. If Iowa State can put together a few years of success and be competitive, we will see the same results. If Fran can make Iowa basketball relevant again, Iowa basketball will see the same results.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Just look at Carver. It is a lot easier to support a winner. The last decade for Iowa football has been very successful and they have capitalized on that success. What will happen if Iowa football has 3 or 4 years of 3-9 or 4-8 records like the end of Hayden's and beginning of Kirk's career? Both sides have a lot of bandwagon fans, especially Iowa. In a small state with two BCS schools, we both need those fans to fill up a stadium game after game. If Iowa State can put together a few years of success and be competitive, we will see the same results. If Fran can make Iowa basketball relevant again, Iowa basketball will see the same results.

Same thing that happened last time: Dolph and Ed or whoever will be on the radio saying "Good seats still available."

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
What blows my mind is the number of Iowa fans who think Iowa was preordained to have the larger fan base, and that there is something special about the U of I Football program that makes them Hawk fans, other than historical success.

I realize this is wholly derailed, but still.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
It is very humiliating to see Hawks in donor parking. It's even more humiliating to see Cornshuckers in donor parking.

If Notre Dame couldn't stop them from taking over their stadium (approx. 30,000 Huskers in South Bend), it's not hard to understand why it is a problem for ISU.

By the way, when Notre Dame visited Lincoln the next year, Husker non-season ticket holders were paying hundreds of dollars to scalpers to make sure that Notre Dame fans didn't do the same thing in Lincoln.

http://api.ning.com/files/2kOXPworr...L9PXTfbtrMbDci1B2TcuKTYqQI9i2A3QPSne3qSBnESoT

Last edited:
Reactions: CyBobby

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

While you're right to a point, it's pretty easy for other fans to bag on ISU's support. Iowa and Nebraska fans have not had to deal with the kicks to the groin that ISU FB has provided us over the past 30 years. I'm actually proud of our environment and atmosphere. Yeah, it could be better and a lot of those people tailgating could be inside, but it could be a ton worse for the results we've seen. I don't think that iowa and nebraska fans have any room to bash because they have NO idea what it's been like to be an ISU fan.

Yeah, it will take a mindset change to move to the next level, but it is happening...slowly. Pollard is improving facilities and making gameday better. Rhoads is recruiting talent like we haven't seen. The money is coming in. There are still guys who put their parking pass up on ebay for the big game or their prime seats. But hopefully, that is decreasing.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Freaking Iowa State trying to be last again...and I will tell you how many hawks will roll into donor lots...never giving a dime....I have bought extra donor parking passes in the past every summer. Pathetic

I feel your pain bro, this is typical Iowa State. Have fun in those north lots surrounded by Iowa Hok fans....

Typical absolutely Typical ISU....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The reserved lots being full is a very good thing for ISU.

The Huskers in there likely bought them from a scalper and did not donate $500 to park for 1 game.

And honestly, if our fans were spending $500 on parking passes for a single road game, I would find that kind of pathetic. I know we need the fans to give more for the program, but I've always been proud of ISU fans generally having meaningful lives and common sense.

"Meaningful Lives"...Are you meaning that squawk-eye fans dont have meaningful

Lives ??...:twitcy: