2 Things can happen...

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
1) Colvin can get mad that McDermott called him out in a press conference and either be a baby/not change his ways or quit

2) He can do what Jiri Hubalek did when McDermott called him out and put the selfish acts aside and start doing what is best for the team. Jiri became a much better player after McDermott almost sent him packing.

I think somewhere in the last 2 years McDermott lost a little bit of his toughness due to transfers. He was trying to be more of a likable coach rather than the coach that made him successful at UNI. Hopefully he gets that back because this team needs it bad!!

Last edited:

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I agree completely, Colvin can be a baby and cry because mcdermont called him out and quit or he can be like jiri i hope its like jiri and becomes better then he already is but this is big 12 basketball and as a player you have to expect criticism from a large fan base everytime you step on the court and especially your coach

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Or he can transfer to Syracuse and play on a top 10 team and Gmac can lose to every good team we play.

Reactions: isucy1234

Chizit

Dec 21, 2008
Section L, Row 11
Coach mac is not being harsh enough. During the Houston game I could name 5 or 6 times where I would've take a certain player out and chew his ***. In the Duke game I would've chewed Brackins *** and maybe Colvin's. Coach doesn't seem to want to do this, but it sounds like he started doing it in the Duke game which is a good start, because this team needs to become mentally tougher.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Coach mac is not being harsh enough. During the Houston game I could name 5 or 6 times where I would've take a certain player out and chew his ***. In the Duke game I would've chewed Brackins *** and maybe Colvin's. Coach doesn't seem to want to do this, but it sounds like he started doing it in the Duke game which is a good start, because this team needs to become mentally tougher.
Im sure he chewed some *** last night after the game.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Don't get mad I'm just stating the obvious that there are at least 3 other threads talking about the same thing

Link the 3 other threads please. The one thread is all over the map. I wanted to talk about what Colvin can chose to do from here on. If you prefer the other thread, stay there

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I think somewhere in the last 2 years McDermott lost a little bit of his toughness due to transfers. He was trying to be more of a likable coach rather than the coach that made him successful at UNI. Hopefully he gets that back because this team needs it bad!!

I think you're right. His bullishness seems to have disappeared the last few years. He has nothing to lose now except his job so he might as well bring the fire back.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
1) Colvin can get mad that McDermott called him out in a press conference and either be a baby/not change his ways or quit

2) He can do what Jiri Hubalek did when McDermott called him out and put the selfish acts aside and start doing what is best for the team. Jiri became a much better player after McDermott almost sent him packing.

This is a good discussion topic right here.

You're right on the money. If Colvin wants to make that call, he starts to grow up into a man. If not, that's pretty sad, but not really abnormal at 18-19 years old.

I think somewhere that Mac does seem a little less tough, and it's strange. Hopefully, he brings it back and it works.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I think somewhere that Mac does seem a little less tough, and it's strange. Hopefully, he brings it back and it works.

This is simply my opinion but I think all the transfers have scared him. He knows he can't keep having this bad of retention and thus he doesn't want to **** off any players

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I think it's usually best to handle any off court personal problems, toughness problems, etc, in private than in public. People cite that Jiri was better after GMac called him out, but it was Jiri's 2nd year in the Big 12, and there should have been some natural improvement with a year of experience under his belt. And yes, some players respond better to criticism than others, and it's the coaches job to know his players and how best to get them to respond. Hope it works with Colvin better than it did with Wes and some others, but it may not.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I think it's usually best to handle any off court personal problems, toughness problems, etc, in private than in public. People cite that Jiri was better after GMac called him out, but it was Jiri's 2nd year in the Big 12, and there should have been some natural improvement with a year of experience under his belt. And yes, some players respond better to criticism than others, and it's the coaches job to know his players and how best to get them to respond. Hope it works with Colvin better than it did with Wes and some others, but it may not.

You don't know what has already happened in private.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Of course I don't know what's happened in private. It still doesn't change the fact that I think such things are usually better handled in private and not with the media. I think it's safe to say that when disputes are handled in public, it usually doesn't turn out well, and Wes leaving may be a good example.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Brackins? The guy who yelled at his teammates to huddle up every dead ball? The guy who had the most intense face I've seen on any Cyclone in a long time not named Jesse Smith? The guy who killed people in his way when getting some tough rebounds? The guy who sadly didn't get much direct offensive involvement?

OK -- later in the 2nd half he forced some stuff -- MAYBE.

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
Of course I don't know what's happened in private. It still doesn't change the fact that I think such things are usually better handled in private and not with the media. I think it's safe to say that when disputes are handled in public, it usually doesn't turn out well, and Wes leaving may be a good example.

Haven't actually heard McDermott's comments. That being said, if he even remotely singled out Colvin, I disagree with it. If he has a problem with Colvin on or off the court, he handles it in his office, behind closed doors. I don't even think he should call the kid out in front of his teammates. I believe this is the case at any level of sports....simply no reason to air the dirty laundry in the media. If a kid doesn't respond to the office "chat," then you just take the next step of benching him.