2 Things can happen...

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Haven't actually heard McDermott's comments. That being said, if he even remotely singled out Colvin, I disagree with it. If he has a problem with Colvin on or off the court, he handles it in his office, behind closed doors. I don't even think he should call the kid out in front of his teammates. I believe this is the case at any level of sports....simply no reason to air the dirty laundry in the media. If a kid doesn't respond to the office "chat," then you just take the next step of benching him.

That's the first time Mac has ever called a player out...That should tell you something. Maybe wait for the full story(assuming it comes out).

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Brackins? The guy who yelled at his teammates to huddle up every dead ball? The guy who had the most intense face I've seen on any Cyclone in a long time not named Jesse Smith? The guy who killed people in his way when getting some tough rebounds? The guy who sadly didn't get much direct offensive involvement?

OK -- later in the 2nd half he forced some stuff -- MAYBE.

Well said. The least of our problems is Brackins. Bo Ryan talked last summer about how competitive Brackins was in practice with the USA World University Games team.
That tells me it's not Craig.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
That's the first time Mac has ever called a player out...That should tell you something. Maybe wait for the full story(assuming it comes out).
I'm assuming that by saying wait for the full story to come out you are implying that Colvin is as good as gone. Otherwise, the full story would never come out it would remain private. I'm sure if Colvin transfers McDermott will have another press conference to defend himself just like when Wes Johnson left.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'm assuming that by saying wait for the full story to come out you are implying that Colvin is as good as gone. Otherwise, the full story would never come out it would remain private. I'm sure if Colvin transfers McDermott will have another press conference to defend himself just like when Wes Johnson left.

Wrong...

Not implying anything.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Haven't actually heard McDermott's comments. That being said, if he even remotely singled out Colvin, I disagree with it. If he has a problem with Colvin on or off the court, he handles it in his office, behind closed doors. I don't even think he should call the kid out in front of his teammates. I believe this is the case at any level of sports....simply no reason to air the dirty laundry in the media. If a kid doesn't respond to the office "chat," then you just take the next step of benching him.

We are kind of making this out to be some sort of watershed moment. Maybe it's not. The team was mad, the coach was mad, Chris did something to **** of the coach, and the coach said something about it. McDermott didn't say anything THAT bad about him. Heck, it could clear the air.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
We are kind of making this out to be some sort of watershed moment. Maybe it's not. The team was mad, the coach was mad, Chris did something to **** of the coach, and the coach said something about it. McDermott didn't say anything THAT bad about him. Heck, it could clear the air.
McDermott said "I just don't know if it is going to work out." That is a pretty serious comment to make about a player half way through his freshmen year that was very highly rated coming out of high school.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My feeling on this is that Mac surely had to have known what he was getting when he recruited him. If he wanted a player that would run the offense at all costs, and always defer to other players rather than himself, he should have recruited someone else. Colvin is unique on this team in that he is a player maker and someone who can instigate his own offense. I didn't watch him in high school, but I imagine that fact has not changed in the past year. If he wanted to brainwash a kid into running your offense to a tee, he should have looked elsewhere. I, for one, think Colvin has been one (perhaps the only one) bright spot this year, and Coach Mac needs to tread lightly with this situation to avoid WJ 2.0.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
My feeling on this is that Mac surely had to have known what he was getting when he recruited him. If he wanted a player that would run the offense at all costs, and always defer to other players rather than himself, he should have recruited someone else. Colvin is unique on this team in that he is a player maker and someone who can instigate his own offense. I didn't watch him in high school, but I imagine that fact has not changed in the past year. If he wanted to brainwash a kid into running your offense to a tee, he should have looked elsewhere. I, for one, think Colvin has been one (perhaps the only one) bright spot this year, and Coach Mac needs to tread lightly with this situation to avoid WJ 2.0.

We need players that want to be Cyclones...Leave it at that.

Screw this tread carefully ****...you're in or you're not.

Reactions: lakeliving

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

The Colvin business doesn't seem to be about how he plays. Again, HE'S BEEN PLAYING A LOT. It seems to be about his attitude. Chris thinks he should be playing more and is angry about it.

As an observer, I don't think he looks like he should be playing significantly more minutes right now. And I've maintained that the kid should realize he is in a great situation learning from a true point guard. Think how much better DG would be right now, if he had had that opportunity instead of being thrown into the fire or learning from someone who wasn't a true point guard (Petey).

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
We need players that want to be Cyclones...Leave it at that.

Screw this tread carefully ****...you're in or you're not.

I agree totally with this thought. And I am not in any way trying to say that McDermott needs to "tread carefully." Sometimes I wonder if he is tough enough. However, I still maintain that I don't care what has happened, a head coach should not be singling out any 19 your old kid to the media in a negative light. The only time it would be even remotely acceptable, in my book, is after the problem(s) have been resolved.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I agree totally with this thought. And I am not in any way trying to say that McDermott needs to "tread carefully." Sometimes I wonder if he is tough enough. However, I still maintain that I don't care what has happened, a head coach should not be singling out any 19 your old kid to the media in a negative light. The only time it would be even remotely acceptable, in my book, is after the problem(s) have been resolved.

I am willing to bet at that point he was so ****** of at the way this player acted, that whole day, it didnt really matter to him.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
This is Colvin's team in 2 years (and next year he's probably one of the anchors of it). This is a year to learn and get better. Not a year to complain about PT.