2023-24 ISU WBB Season Thread

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I think Jalynn's highlight reel is the most impressive to me. She seems to be able to do a little bit of everything, shoot the three, drive to the hole, handle the ball, pass, and she was named the Texas High School Coaches Association player of the year for classes 1A-4A. (She played in Class 3A). That's a pretty impressive accolade for a state that produces a ton of Division 1 athletes in women's basketball every year.

Brown has the bigger reputation being a McDonald's all-American and she does some of the same things Bristow does. I just think Bristow does them at a quicker pace and more athletically. Bristow also averaged 22.3 points and 12.4 rebounds a game for her CAREER up until her junior year while shooting 90 percent from the line and 40 percent from three. She bettered her career averages as a senior, but I don't have the exact numbers because she switched schools and I don't think the new school kept records as well. Meanwhile, Brown averaged just over 20 points and nearly 11 RBs per game as a senior.

In fact, the only player in the incoming class who averaged under 20 points per game as a high school senior was Jackson, and she checked in at just over 19 a game. She also shot over 80 percent from the free throw line and about 43 percent from 3.

Joens averaged 24.6 and 11.9 RBs per game as a senior.

Crooks average 32.9 points and 13.3 RBs per game and shot 75 percent from the field as a senior. Those are video game numbers.

I'm not suggesting these averages will continue in college, but there's some great material there to work with. It's also a far cry from some of our usual recruits, some of whom barely averaged double figure scoring in high school. I'm thinking of the Jordan Jensen's (11.2) and the Lauren Mills (played net ball, not basketball). Even Meredith Burkhall only averaged 16 points a game as a high school senior.

I don't know, I just think that if you are a division 1 basketball player, you should be able to dominate in high school. These 5 girls showed that they could do just that.
This is exactly why I’m so high on the potential of this team. The numbers are there, but in my mind it’s the intangibles that will make this team even more dangerous. Leadership, practice ethic, cohesion, no fear…I’m excited to sit back and watch. They will def win their share of games and once in a while they will take their lumps…but it’s going to be a fun ride.

Reactions: StClone

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
So are we bringing in the Texas player of the year (Bristow), the Kansas player of the year (Brown), and the Iowa player of the year (Joens or Crooks?)?
Crooks Was Miss Iowa Basketball. The other player who had lots of accolades was Williams from Waterloo West who, I believe, went to OU.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That game time though for a weekday game is problematic for those with an 8-5. Maybe that could get some hawk fans to not attend of course it also limits our fans from attending as well.

Would be great if a benefactor bought up a ton of tickets and this was a game where we could get as many students or even more who attend mbb games.
Students are free I believe.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hearing what the S&C crew is putting Crooks through for workouts, if that doesn’t get her to be able to last; nothing will.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

Article is behind the paywall.

Fennelly said he has Ryan, Diew, Belanger and Isnelle Natabou penciled in as starters if the Cyclones were to play a game today. As for the last spot: That's up in the air between Addy Brown and Jalynn Bristow. Regardless of who starts, there will be plenty of playing time for them along with Audi Crooks, Arianna Jackson and Kelsey Joens.

• Informative

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Article is behind the paywall.

Fennelly said he has Ryan, Diew, Belanger and Isnelle Natabou penciled in as starters if the Cyclones were to play a game today. As for the last spot: That's up in the air between Addy Brown and Jalynn Bristow. Regardless of who starts, there will be plenty of playing time for them along with Audi Crooks, Arianna Jackson and Kelsey Joens.

Couldn't read but saw a Tweet from DSM Register teasing with "...Ryan has a decision to make". Assume that was clickbait nothingburger stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: fcclone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Was just reading that UNI and Drake are picked 1-2 in the Missouri Valley this season. That means our young team will be facing two teams favored to win their conference (Iowa and
uni) and a pair of #2s in Drake and NDSU.
It will be the year we will be challenged to NOT be blanked by all three intrastate rival programs.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Does anyone know how the scrimmage with South Dakota went?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Top passers article. Ryan clocks in at #5 behind #1 Clark and #4 Harmon. Drake's Katie Dinnebier is #8.

5. Emily Ryan, Iowa State (6.4 assists/game)
Championing a YMCA approach on the hardwood, Ryan's effectiveness often comes from her deceptive head fakes, back-to-the-basket prowess and her patience on ball screens rather than straight-line speed, and her excellent passing is another fitting aspect of this approach. Since arriving to Ames in 2020, Ryan has been one of the very best passers in America, dishing out 5.9 dimes per game, and actually going on to finish fourth in DI with 7.1 assists per game her sophomore season.
Ryan's numbers dropped across the board last season, perhaps to fuel the supernova better known as Ashley Joens, but with WNBA scooping up both Joens and star center Stephanie Soares, Ryan's role as both a scorer and a facilitator only projects to grow entering the 2023-24 campaign. - NCAA.com

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...est-passers-womens-college-basketball-2023-24