2023-24 ISU WBB Season Thread

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Roster updated online, so a good time to start a new season thread.

Newcomer numbers:
0 - Natabou
1 - Bristow
2 - Jackson
3 - Williams
13 - Belanger
23 - K. Joens
24 - Brown
55 - Crooks

Number change:
5 - Diew (from 1)

0Isnelle NatabouCJr.6' 5"Ceska Lipa, Czech Republic / Stredni Skola Sion
1Jalynn BristowFFr.6' 2"Wichita Falls, Texas / Holliday
2Arianna JacksonGFr.5' 9"Des Moines, Iowa / Roosevelt
3Alisa WilliamsFSo.6' 2"Denton, Texas / Braswell
4Shantavia DawkinsGSo.5' 7"Brampton, Ontario, Canada / Southwest Academy
5Nyamer DiewFSr.6' 2"Marshall, Minn. / Sioux City East
11Emily RyanGSr.5' 11"Claflin, Kansas / Central Plains
12Mary Kate KingGJr.5' 3"Dubuque, Iowa / Wahlert Catholic
13Hannah BelangerGSr.5' 8"Grafton, Wisc. / Grafton
15Izzi ZingaroFR-Jr.6' 4"Bolton, Ontario, Canada / Caledon Academy
23Kelsey JoensGFr.5' 10"Iowa City, Iowa / West Liberty
24Addy BrownFFr.6' 2"Derby, Kan. / Derby
55Audi CrooksCFr.6' 3"Algona, Iowa / Bishop Garrigan

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
Be interesting to see if all the Fs will sit on the post side, or maybe Brown will sit on the guard side? Probably the tallest team we’ve ever had! Williams isn’t trying to avoid redshirt year? Who of the returning players is going to make the biggest leap? The 2 slot is wide open. Who of the Fs can defend a 2? So many questions to figure out in practice.

Reactions: StClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm hoping this yr is the pleasant surprise. I was all on the hype train last yr. My hope for this yr is top half of the B12 and make the tourney. Would love to beat Iowa in Ames but I think that will be a tall order.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

Westside clone

Apr 5, 2022
Be interesting to see if all the Fs will sit on the post side, or maybe Brown will sit on the guard side? Probably the tallest team we’ve ever had! Williams isn’t trying to avoid redshirt year? Who of the returning players is going to make the biggest leap? The 2 slot is wide open. Who of the Fs can defend a 2? So many questions to figure out in practice.
I would be surprised if Belanger doesn't at least start the year at the 2. An all-American at D-2 will be a quality player at Iowa State, she is a shooter and a hustler and you can't have too many of those.

• Optimistic
  • Informative
Reactions: StClone and NWICY

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I would be surprised if Belanger doesn't at least start the year at the 2. An all-American at D-2 will be a quality player at Iowa State, she is a shooter and a hustler and you can't have too many of those.
Despite not recognizing her likeness recently, I watched a few available game highlights. Hannah moves well, passes serviceably, and does her best at drives/layups. Her three-point shooting may take a hit as taller, quick, players she'll now face may block her and rush her (though she has a very quick setup and release).

Last edited:

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Despite not recognizing her likeness recently, I watched a few available game highlights. Hannah moves well, passes serviceably, and does her best at drives/layups. Her three-point shooting may take a hit as taller, quick, players she'll now face may block her and rush her (though she has a very quick setup and release).
I have a hard time coming up with a competitive lineup from a guard standpoint.
We appear to be a team you might want to press - to me. I see considerable ball handling deficiencies. Not sure I see the shooting from that gang of candidates either. I absolutely love Ryan , but she is not really a creator for herself or others. Hoping Jackson is ready beyond her years. Dawkins has a long way to go imho. Hannah needs to be a killer 3 point shooter. I too worry about her size and quickness, her age should help her.
With the SF transfer I think we are serviceable at the traditional 5 spot. Lots of 4’s available - but very young. Just cannot see a winning combo. IMO - we needed another portal guard.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I have a hard time coming up with a competitive lineup from a guard standpoint.
We appear to be a team you might want to press - to me. I see considerable ball handling deficiencies. Not sure I see the shooting from that gang of candidates either. I absolutely love Ryan , but she is not really a creator for herself or others. Hoping Jackson is ready beyond her years. Dawkins has a long way to go imho. Hannah needs to be a killer 3 point shooter. I too worry about her size and quickness, her age should help her.
With the SF transfer I think we are serviceable at the traditional 5 spot. Lots of 4’s available - but very young. Just cannot see a winning combo. IMO - we needed another portal guard.
Dang…you seem depressed…I thought summer sunlight made people feel better? ;)

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I agree with others that the 2 spot is definitely the biggest question mark. But I think that the way that Fennelly and company approached the portal indicates that they feel relatively confident that at least one of Jackson and Joens, if not both, will come in and compete for playing time immediately.

I'm not quite sure what my expectations for the team are. But I do think that they will be fun to watch and see grow over the course of the season. Brown, Bristow, Natabou, and Crooks are probably the players I'm looking forward to watching the most since I think they all can have pretty high ceilings.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
The conference schedule will be interesting to see. Some teams will benefit from maybe getting more games against teams coming into conference who last year were garbage quite frankly.

Last edited:
Reactions: acoustimac