2023-24 ISU WBB Season Thread

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
The guards will be interesting. I think Jackson will be better than expected. Joens is a Joens so you know she will not be afraid of the moment. I think Belanger likely starts at the two, but that is no guarantee with the jump to DI.

I wouldn't rule out a big lineup like this either. It may require more zone on defense, but it also gets talent on the court. It is going to be tough to take Ryan out of the game.

Ryan
Diew
Brown
Bristow
Natabou

• Useful
Reactions: StClone

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
Tangent, but Arianna Jackson looks exactly like the actress Myha'la Herrold from Industry.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
ISU hired an additional staffer. This is essentially the slot Haley Faber occupied from the 19-20 season through the 21-22 season, although a different title.

EDIT -- as noted by @Three4Cy below, Faber was in more of an admin role now occupied by Jayne Lande, so this is an entirely new position.

Last edited:

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
ISU hired an additional staffer. This is essentially the slot Haley Faber occupied from the 19-20 season through the 21-22 season, although a different title.

I think this is a new position - Emily Hatfield was hired into the Faber position last year.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Hatfield took over the position vacated by Praley.
Faber was hired to replace Connie Middleton. When Faber was hired, they changed the position from a secretary to a more administrative role within women's basketball. When Faber left, Jayne Lande was hired to replace her.

The Jenkins hire is a new position.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Faber was hired to replace Connie Middleton. When Faber was hired, they changed the position from a secretary to a more administrative role within women's basketball. When Faber left, Jayne Lande was hired to replace her.

The Jenkins hire is a new position.
I thought Faber was considered part of the coaching staff, but old webpages in the Wayback Machine are proving me wrong. I stand corrected. I never realized Faber was basically hired to be the new Connie. So you are correct -- Jenkins is a new position.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO

EDIT -- as noted by @Three4Cy below, Faber was in more of an admin role now occupied by Jayne Lande, so this is an entirely new position.

Completes the trade with UNC.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
If you are not excited and intrigued by the upcoming Season you better check if you have a pulse.

So, I put forward what or who will be the biggest surprise of the 2023-'24 season.

We got a taller McDonald's AA (regrettably for the first time we could have two MD's AA on the roster, but whatever), a super forward out of Texas who was one of the top players out of that huge WBB state in Bristow, a player of awesome physical assets burning up social/sports media (Audi), and another physical, talented 6'5" transfer in Natabou.

There's lots more to consider but the things which percolate for me are that Arianna is going to be the biggest surprise for us. She is a natural leader who quietly can control a game. Iowa State will be a tall physical, team. I concur with another commenter ballhandling, early on (or season long), maybe a weakness.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
If you are not excited and intrigued by the upcoming Season you better check if you have a pulse.

So, I put forward what or who will be the biggest surprise of the 2023-'24 season.

We got a taller McDonald's AA (regrettably for the first time we could have two MD's AA on the roster, but whatever), a super forward out of Texas who was one of the top players out of that huge WBB state in Bristow, a player of awesome physical assets burning up social/sports media (Audi), and another physical, talented 6'5" transfer in Natabou.

There's lots more to consider but the things which percolate for me are that Arianna is going to be the biggest surprise for us. She is a natural leader who quietly can control a game. Iowa State will be a tall physical, team. I concur with another commenter ballhandling, early on (or season long), maybe a weakness.
I agree on Jackson. I haven't seen too much in the way of highlights for her, but her high school stats are really impressive. She was Des Moines Roosevelt's leading scorer all four years on impressive efficiency (45% from three for her career, and less than 1 turnover per game her senior year). Obviously high school stats don't directly translate, but hers are still impressive and they can always give indications about play style.

As some on this board have noted, we've often struggled defending smaller, quicker guards in the past few years. Jackson might be able to help out with that, while also, as you said, adding some ball handling and playmaking on offense.

Reactions: StClone

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
I would like to see Jamie price them at $10 ticket for all other sport season ticket holders then anything left for the general public charge $25 make some money off the hawkroaches.

Drake has done something similar to this for years with their ISU/Iowa home games.
Wouldn't surprise me if it was only available as part of a 3-5 game mini pack.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I have a hard time coming up with a competitive lineup from a guard standpoint.
We appear to be a team you might want to press - to me. I see considerable ball handling deficiencies. Not sure I see the shooting from that gang of candidates either. I absolutely love Ryan , but she is not really a creator for herself or others. Hoping Jackson is ready beyond her years. Dawkins has a long way to go imho. Hannah needs to be a killer 3 point shooter. I too worry about her size and quickness, her age should help her.
With the SF transfer I think we are serviceable at the traditional 5 spot. Lots of 4’s available - but very young. Just cannot see a winning combo. IMO - we needed another portal guard.
The SF transfer has to sit out a year, so she won't be playing this year.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Completes the trade with UNC.

Looking at the

You know it's interesting that CBF staff has never included any prior members of the women's team thru the years in any capacity, that I know of. Kelly Bolte maybe... perhaps there is more. But not on the long term.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

I'm more excited for this next season that many others in recent memory. Bridget and Ashley are goats in ISU WBB but for 9 years all the focus was on either player as the star of the team. Looking forward to a more team oriented style this upcoming season.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
the SF post will play, the transfer from LSU will sit out
Well then, I guess I'm not understanding what SF stands for. I was going with the traditional (when talking about basketball anyway) usage of small forward, which could only describe the LSU transfer.

Help Support Us

Become a patron