***2023 Iowa High School Football Playoffs***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Weird that half the town of Ankeny had to travel to Cedar Falls tonight to watch Ankeny play Ankeny.

Would be nice if we had a dome in Des Moines since the 5A semifinals and finals are usually between central Iowa suburb teams.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Watching the two teams from Ankeny play, one has to wonder just how good they would be if they had not split the district and were playing as one team?

• Agree
Reactions: Ankency

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Watching the two teams from Ankeny play, one has to wonder just how good they would be if they had not split the district and were playing as one team?
It would probably be like a small college. Great depth at every position and the resources that the district would throw at it would be colossal. I would think they would be near unbeatable.

I know you’re just playing “what if” but I think it would be too big for the students to have a positive high school experience. Plus, I would guess a lot of parents would be sending their kids to North Polk, Bondurant-Farrar, and Ballard (Huxley).

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
Weird that half the town of Ankeny had to travel to Cedar Falls tonight to watch Ankeny play Ankeny.

Would be nice if we had a dome in Des Moines since the 5A semifinals and finals are usually between central Iowa suburb teams.
Used to be only the championship game was in the dome. Semis should be played at the schools.

• Disagree
Reactions: clonedude

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Used to be only the championship game was in the dome. Semis should be played at the schools.

And for a long time I believe teams could opt to play the championship game outside.

The dome is the jam though for a high schooler to play in.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It would probably be like a small college. Great depth at every position and the resources that the district would throw at it would be colossal. I would think they would be near unbeatable.

I know you’re just playing “what if” but I think it would be too big for the students to have a positive high school experience. Plus, I would guess a lot of parents would be sending their kids to North Polk, Bondurant-Farrar, and Ballard (Huxley).
Looking that the current BEDs count both Ankeny and Waukee would be over 2800 students 9-11, that would not be counting the senior for each school. It's amazing how fast the two towns have grown over the past 20 years.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It was 27 degrees after the sun went down last night. I can't imagine anybody taking that over 70 degrees inside.
I think they would prefer maybe 50-60. You get used to some cold and to go from 20-30 to 70 is a big jump. Son said he was sweating just standing there, thought it was too hot.

The visiting team has to walk outside and stand there until they are let in, think they could have an inside route somehow.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I think they would prefer maybe 50-60. You get used to some cold and to go from 20-30 to 70 is a big jump. Son said he was sweating just standing there, thought it was too hot.

The visiting team has to walk outside and stand there until they are let in, think they could have an inside route somehow.
Not without sending them down the same tunnel which doesn't seem like a great idea. The UNI locker room in connected to the garage door entrance but they obviously can't use that.

There just isn't a way to cover that area between the PEC and Dome entrance because they've got to be able to get trucks and busses through there.

The IHSAA is also really, really good at screwing up the timing so that kids are standing outside longer than they should have to.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It was 27 degrees after the sun went down last night. I can't imagine anybody taking that over 70 degrees inside.

They play the finals at Camp Randall the weekend before Thanksgiving and many times everyone not playing looks pretty miserable.

And many of the teams could come from much further away than the two hours it is from Ankeny to Cedar Falls.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
SATURDAY, NOV. 11

10:00 (2A) - #2 Van Meter (11-0) vs #4 Monticello (10-1)
1:00 (2A) - #1 Central Lyon/G-LR (11-0) vs #5 Spirit Lake (10-1)

4:00 (3A) - #1 Creston (11-0) vs #8 S.C. Heelan (10-1)
7:00 (3A) - #2 Solon (10-1) vs #3 Williamsburg (10-1)

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
Considering both schools have put out P5 players, I’d say very good. The last year they were together, Lanning was qb and they won state.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
They play the finals at Camp Randall the weekend before Thanksgiving and many times everyone not playing looks pretty miserable.

And many of the teams could come from much further away than the two hours it is from Ankeny to Cedar Falls.
My nephew was on one of the teams playing in the Nebraska championship game several years back. They play that in Lincoln, if I remember right earlier in the week of Thanksgiving. I was trying to watch a stream of the game, and that year it was brutally cold … nobody, players or fans, looked to be having a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.