2024 ISU MBB State of The Program

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I know there are a number of postseason threads, but I've done a "state of the program" end-of-season summary every year for the nearly 20 years CF has been around. This is the easiest update I've ever had to write. Warning - You should know by now these are long posts. Also, I'm a realist, not a pessimist or optimist - despite how the following will read.

Current Overall Status = Great, 2nd Most Wins in School History
Direction of Program = Steep Trend Upwards

TJ came into a gutted program coming off a ****-show 2-22 season with no momentum. He came in with a plan of how to turn things around the quickest while pouring a foundation for the future. Little did he know that his first years would be during one of the all-time highs of Big 12 MBB, already the best conference in the land, and a changing conference landscape. Not only was there a crater to dig out of, it was at the base of a mountain we also needed to ascend. Oh yeah, NCAA athletics just so happened to be entering massive turmoil and change like never before.

Iowa State has some advantages - rabid fans, amazing home court environment, historically above average success over the past 20 years, and energy surrounding the program.

Iowa State also has some disadvantages - bottom of the league NIL support, location - to some degree, and recency bias against us.

I first talked to TJ on the phone in 2006 and have been in love with him ever since. He is Iowa State at his core, not just on the outside. He is a man of integrity, self-directed mandate to do things the right way, and genuinely open and honest even with kids that sometimes aren't used to that. He knows Iowa State better than any coach coming into a head coaching position could ever know a program and it's needs. The unique passion he has makes him sitting across the table from recruits a walk in the park.

TJ knew the only way to jump-start the program was to be excellent at the one thing that he would be able to get the right players for in quick order. Defensive talent is within Iowa State's NIL budget, the Portal has plenty of proven hard workers that you know what you're getting from the get-go, and he knew offense was the most expensive and least attainable short-term prospect.

With arguably the biggest turnaround in MBB history in his first year, he proved that Iowa State can be a contender, and immediately. The focus on defense meant that we could keep almost any game within reach, even with below average scoring abilities. The guys he brought in were hard working, passionate players hungry for development. Their passion to raise us out of the ashes has lead the teams to be some of the most beloved in program history, even without a ton of high-level talent.

As time has progressed, Iowa State has maintained that focus on defensive intensity as it's still aligns with the immediately impactful players we can get. But, each year we've brought in more and more scorers - both via the Portal and via HS recruiting. That, despite a Portal that is built to make play makers incredibly expensive and in short supply. However, the early success and trajectory has given offensive players a reason to at least take our phone calls.

With NIL what it is, Iowa State will always have a very difficult time getting the Top 20-30 scorers in the Portal in any given year, they're just too expensive. What Iowa State has shown is that because of our 5-star culture, our fanbase, and our on-court success, those Portal players just a tier down have a reason to consider taking less money to play at a place they know will set them up for life-long success and give them every opportunity to develop for the NBA if skills align.

We've missed out on some huge difference makers solely because of a lack of NIL funding, players/scorers that could have gotten us to the Final 4. But, we've also been able to attract guys like Omaha, Milan, Rock, etc that could have gotten very high 6-digit figures to go elsewhere but took our low 5 digit offers because of the intangibles listed above. Those are the guys that are bought into the passion and want to develop for the prospect of longer-term financial and life success.

As we come out of the third season of Otzelberger-mania, the transfers and recruits look better each and every recruiting cycle. Our disadvantages are being offset in many cases by our advantages - and more so every year. That's the recipe for success at Iowa State, and TJ knew it... despite a ton of doubters. Yeah, we still struggle on offense, but you can see the leaps and bounds we're making. A team that was picked to finish 7th in the conference finished the year 4th in the nation. A team that can go 10 minutes without scoring was one of the best teams in the country, yet again.

Looking ahead, the Big 12 continues to look like it will be the best league in the land, and potentially get even tougher. At the same time, our recruiting classes are Top 10 in the country and we've maintained a Top 5 defense. Offense will come, but it is much harder to get and develop so will continue to take iterative steps. Believe in the process and progress. It won't happen overnight, but it's not because it isn't a focus or goal of the staff - so don't doubt their realization of our ceiling without scorers.

So as we look ahead and what appears to be the brightest future we've ever imagined, let's take a look at a couple things before cynics continue to doubt the process. Despite a 2-22 season the year before, TJ has accomplished...
  • 3 NCAA Tournament Appearances
  • 2 Sweet Sixteen Appearances
  • Only ISU Coach To Reach 2 Sweet Sixteens (in 3 years no less)
  • A Top 5 National Ranking (at the fricken end of the season)
  • 2nd Most Wins In a Season (29 wins) in School History
  • Best Conference Finish In Years
  • Beat Overall #1 Team In Country Twice (and once by nearly 30pts)
  • Top 10 Recruiting Classes
  • One of 4 Finalists For 2023-24 National Coach of the Year
Again, as we enter the off-season, remember that despite the season coming to an end, we've done more in the first three years under TJ than almost any other school in the country that isn't a top-tier blue blood. That after a 2-22 season. That with a huge NIL disadvantage. That despite the toughest league being at it's all-time high. That without a Top 100 offense.

I've written these posts for almost 20 years and the past 3 years they've basically written themselves. Yeah, they're long winded and sound incredibly optimistic for a realist - but it's important to recognize how far we've truly come, how good we are compared to our historical averages or highs, and where the program looks to be headed.

Trust The Process. Trust The Progress. Soak It In. Enjoy It. It's Just Getting Started.

One additional note; While none of us like having to, now is the time to consider giving to the We Will Collective. Our advantages have gotten us where we are, but we need to keep building our NIL infrastructure to reach our true potential.

On a more personal note; April is Parkinson's Awareness Month. Please also consider donating to the Michael J Fox Foundation to support Parkinson's research. There are more charities than ever needing funds, but this one is especially close to home.

1711725817728.png 1711726039501.png

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Great write up. There's no better time to be a Cyclone fan. This statement really helps give perspective to TJ's genius. He's not only the perfect guy for ISU, but the perfect guy for the current transfer/NIL landscape.

"TJ knew the only way to jump-start the program was to be excellent at the one thing that he would be able to get the right players for in quick order. Defensive talent is within Iowa State's NIL budget, the Portal has plenty of proven hard workers that you know what you're getting from the get-go, and he knew offense was the most expensive and least attainable short-term prospect."

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
I think #TrustTheProcess is right. Given our NIL constraints, player development over 4-5 years is going to be key to breaking through and getting to a final four. It's amazing what Otz has done so far in short time frame.

Illinois' top 4 scorers are 22 years old or older. Coleman Hawkins has gotten a lot better for them over the last 4 years and is now hitting at a 38% rate from 3 which helps them spread the floor.

Iowa State's top 4 scorers are much younger (Curtis is Senior; Keshon a junior; Tamin a Sophomore; Milan a Freshman). I hope Milan can put on 15-20 lbs of muscle this off-season. He reminded me of a younger Giannis last night in terms of just getting pushed around, but over the last 10(?) years, Giannis has put on about 55 pounds of muscle.

Reactions: nrg4isu

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think #TrustTheProcess is right. Given our NIL constraints, player development over 4-5 years is going to be key to breaking through and getting to a final four. It's amazing what Otz has done so far in short time frame.

Illinois' top 4 scorers are 22 years old or older. Coleman Hawkins has gotten a lot better for them over the last 4 years and is now hitting at a 38% rate from 3 which helps them spread the floor.

Iowa State's top 4 scorers are much younger (Curtis is Senior; Keshon a junior; Tamin a Sophomore; Milan a Freshman). I hope Milan can put on 15-20 lbs of muscle this off-season. He reminded me of a younger Giannis last night in terms of just getting pushed around, but over the last 10(?) years, Giannis has put on about 55 pounds of muscle.
Yeah, between our football and basketball teams, we have a lot of potential that needs developed and we have a lot of staff members in key positions to do just that. Sprinkle in the Portal kids and the future is bright as a Super Nova.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I know there are a number of postseason threads, but I've done a "state of the program" end-of-season summary every year for the nearly 20 years CF has been around. This is the easiest update I've ever had to write. Warning - You should know by now these are long posts. Also, I'm a realist, not a pessimist or optimist - despite how the following will read.

TJ came into a gutted program coming off a ****-show 2-22 season with no momentum. He came in with a plan of how to turn things around the quickest while pouring a foundation for the future. Little did he know that his first years would be during one of the all-time highs of Big 12 MBB, already the best conference in the land, and a changing conference landscape. Not only was there a crater to dig out of, it was at the base of a mountain we also needed to ascend. Oh yeah, NCAA athletics just so happened to be entering massive turmoil and change like never before.

Iowa State has some advantages - rabid fans, amazing home court environment, historically above average success over the past 20 years, and energy surrounding the program.

Iowa State also has some disadvantages - bottom of the league NIL support, location - to some degree, and recency bias against us.

I first talked to TJ on the phone in 2006 and have been in love with him ever since. He is Iowa State at his core, not just on the outside. He is a man of integrity, self-directed mandate to do things the right way, and genuinely open and honest even with kids that sometimes aren't used to that. He knows Iowa State better than any coach coming into a head coaching position could ever know a program and it's needs. The unique passion he has makes him sitting across the table from recruits a walk in the park.

TJ knew the only way to jump-start the program was to be excellent at the one thing that he would be able to get the right players for in quick order. Defensive talent is within Iowa State's NIL budget, the Portal has plenty of proven hard workers that you know what you're getting from the get-go, and he knew offense was the most expensive and least attainable short-term prospect.

With arguably the biggest turnaround in MBB history in his first year, he proved that Iowa State can be a contender, and immediately. The focus on defense meant that we could keep almost any game within reach, even with below average scoring abilities. The guys he brought in were hard working, passionate players hungry for development. Their passion to raise us out of the ashes has lead the teams to be some of the most beloved in program history, even without a ton of high-level talent.

As time has progressed, Iowa State has maintained that focus on defensive intensity as it's still aligns with the immediately impactful players we can get. But, each year we've brought in more and more scorers - both via the Portal and via HS recruiting. That, despite a Portal that is built to make play makers incredibly expensive and in short supply. However, the early success and trajectory has given offensive players a reason to at least take our phone calls.

With NIL what it is, Iowa State will always have a very difficult time getting the Top 20-30 scorers in the Portal in any given year, they're just too expensive. What Iowa State has shown is that because of our 5-star culture, our fanbase, and our on-court success, those Portal players just a tier down have a reason to consider taking less money to play at a place they know will set them up for life-long success and give them every opportunity to develop for the NBA if skills align.

We've missed out on some huge difference makers solely because of a lack of NIL funding, players/scorers that could have gotten us to the Final 4. But, we've also been able to attract guys like Omaha, Milan, Rock, etc that could have gotten very high 6-digit figures to go elsewhere but took our low 5 digit offers because of the intangibles listed above. Those are the guys that are bought into the passion and want to develop for the prospect of longer-term financial and life success.

As we come out of the third season of Otzelberger-mania, the transfers and recruits look better each and every recruiting cycle. Our disadvantages are being offset in many cases by our advantages - and more so every year. That's the recipe for success at Iowa State, and TJ knew it... despite a ton of doubters. Yeah, we still struggle on offense, but you can see the leaps and bounds we're making. A team that was picked to finish 7th in the conference finished the year 4th in the nation. A team that can go 10 minutes without scoring was one of the best teams in the country, yet again.

Looking ahead, the Big 12 continues to look like it will be the best league in the land, and potentially get even tougher. At the same time, our recruiting classes are Top 10 in the country and we've maintained a Top 5 defense. Offense will come, but it is much harder to get and develop so will continue to take iterative steps. Believe in the process and progress. It won't happen overnight, but it's not because it isn't a focus or goal of the staff - so don't doubt their realization of our ceiling without scorers.

So as we look ahead and what appears to be the brightest future we've ever imagined, let's take a look at a couple things before cynics continue to doubt the process. Despite a 2-22 season the year before, TJ has accomplished...
Again, as we enter the off-season, remember that despite the season coming to an end, we've done more in the first three years under TJ than almost any other school in the country that isn't a top-tier blue blood. That after a 2-22 season. That with a huge NIL disadvantage. That despite the toughest league being at it's all-time high. That without a Top 100 offense.

I've written these posts for almost 20 years and the past 3 years they've basically written themselves. Yeah, they're long winded and sound incredibly optimistic for a realist - but it's important to recognize how far we've truly come, how good we are compared to our historical averages or highs, and where the program looks to be headed.

Trust The Process. Trust The Progress. Soak It In. Enjoy It. It's Just Getting Started.

One additional note; While none of us like having to, now is the time to consider giving to the We Will Collective. Our advantages have gotten us where we are, but we need to keep building our NIL infrastructure to reach our true potential.

On a more personal note; April is Parkinson's Awareness Month. Please also consider donating to the Michael J Fox Foundation to support Parkinson's research. There are more charities than ever needing funds, but this one is especially close to home.

View attachment 126607 View attachment 126610
Agree with your post, but how do we know we are ‘at the bottom of the league NIL support’?

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I just love the way TJ is building. The emphasis in the portal seems to be guys with multiple years of eligibility, and he's supplementing that with very talented high school recruits. Not only is that working at a high level, it also creates stability within the program where leadership and experience can be passed down, and the culture maintained.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Good writeup, Jeremey. Hard to disagree with anything you said.

It would be interesting if our NIL efforts were more transparent. Not $$$ per athlete but goals of We Will. I.e. Where are we realistically trying to get to? What is achievable? Where do we stand against our peers? Etc.

Maybe that data is difficult to get but it would be interesting to see/hear "Hey, we are trying to be in the top half of basketball NIL which means we need to raise $3 million (or whatever the number) solely for basketball. I understand why, but its a bit opaque for me and others I have talked to as it feels like we are peeing into the ocean with our individual donations because we don't see the big picture of how it connects to success against our peers.

This is no knock on We Will or Blum. He's done an amazing job connecting fans to We Will at a level I didn't think was possible.

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis

It would be interesting if our NIL efforts were more transparent. Not $$$ per athlete but goals of We Will. I.e. Where are we realistically trying to get to? What is achievable? Where do we stand against our peers? Etc.

Maybe that data is difficult to get but it would be interesting to see/hear "Hey, we are trying to be in the top half of basketball NIL which means we need to raise $3 million (or whatever the number) solely for basketball. I understand why, but its a bit opaque for me and others I have talked to as it feels like we are peeing into the ocean with our individual donations because we don't see the big picture of how it connects to success against our peers.

This is no knock on We Will or Blum. He's done an amazing job connecting fans to We Will at a level I didn't think was possible.
I would definitely donate more if I could see a budget sheet for the collective, for sure.

Not that I don’t trust Blum but it is giving money to an organization in an industry that was just created in the last few years and has 0 regulation.

Reactions: ProjectInCYte

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I would definitely donate more if I could see a budget sheet for the collective, for sure.

Not that I don’t trust Blum but it is giving money to an organization in an industry that was just created in the last few years and has 0 regulation.

I sort of understand this. But it would be a disaster. We don’t need other schools knowing exactly how much they need to outbid us. We don’t need fans knowing how much we paid for any player. I think about Omaha….i know he could have gotten more elsewhere. But we still paid him a lot to do nothing. And that’s the price of business. But we don’t need people worked up about that.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I sort of understand this. But it would be a disaster. We don’t need other schools knowing exactly how much they need to outbid us. We don’t need fans knowing how much we paid for any player. I think about Omaha….i know he could have gotten more elsewhere. But we still paid him a lot to do nothing. And that’s the price of business. But we don’t need people worked up about that.

Not sure what CNM meant but this wasn't what I meant. My comment was more towards an overall goal, i.e. "We need to raise $3 million for Iowa State basketball under We Will to accomplish our goals to make ISU basketball a top destination".

Right now its "give us money so we can compete" and then all we hear outside of Blum is "our collective sucks and we can't compete". That might be true but tell us what it needs to be so its competitive and we don't have to continually hear how little money we give...

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Nice write up.

ISU should be Top 10 preseason next year, regardless what happens, which is huge for the program’s perception. We should also have a much tougher non conf schedule next year.

I know absolutely nothing, but I think everyone should be prepared for surprises in the portal season - that’s just the reality of this era.

But TJ has proven that he’s able to bring in guys that just fit - even if they didn’t play that way before. Like Keshon, he never played defense like that at UNLV, but he bought in.

Someone like Hadley from Colorado would be a perfect fit - if we need him. So no matter what surprises come down, I fully expect us to be a Top 10 team again next year.

clone37

Oct 9, 2010

View attachment 126607 View attachment 126610
Excellent writeup. I agree completely with every word.

Reactions: NWICY and Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

Brent would have to speak to any updated numbers or projections. Last I heard was the goal was to get up to $2 million this year for We Will (across all sports). That doubles going forward as things keep rolling. While exact numbers are never known, it is far easier to get true (not fake or inflated) numbers for amounts raised, player offers, etc than anybody ever makes it sound like.

Donors don't only talk to people within the borders of Iowa. AD staff members don't just go to the office and not make connections in the industry. Players/recruits usually have no problem sharing emails or texts from schools, individual donors, company sponsors, etc. Think of all of it as a bit of a **** measuring contest and everybody wanting to back up with proof their stated measurements. It's like the weather thread where people share pics of the snow against a ruler when talking about amounts.

In perspective, we will be in the bottom 3 of the new Big 12 based on all projections, estimates, info, etc. That shouldn't surprise people though based on the public figures of donations per program also in those same levels (accounting for some differences in how each school shuffles money and budgets around on their reported figures).

Last edited:
Reactions: ProjectInCYte

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Would the Collective's 990 (Tax return) show up on Guidestar like other NFP's? That might give you some information regarding how the donations are divided between fundraising, programs and administrative expenses.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

Understandable. What I've heard (and seen) is the overhead/administrative costs for We Will are likely better than 99% of the collectives out there (meaning a fraction of the raised amount not getting to the players).

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I kinda feel like I want to challenge this comment:

With NIL what it is, Iowa State will always have a very difficult time getting the Top 20-30 scorers in the Portal in any given year, they're just too expensive.

…just because we just got someone out of the Portal in short order who looks like he’s not only our top priority, but a perfect fit.

Not a the kids are purely chasing the bucks. At least, not in the short term.

Secondly, about that “almost twenty years”. Jeremy, are we all really getting that freaking old?!!

Rhetorical question. :jimlad:

• Funny
Reactions: Jer