2024 Mens CBB Coaching Carousel

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
I am not sure Oklahoma State made the right move. They have good young talent that could all move on now leaving them to start completely over in the nation's toughest league. Not to mention, that they got hosed with the one year post season suspension for doing much less than KU did and then received essentially no punishment.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I don't think there's anyway DeVries considers a move this year. He'd be messing with his kid's legacy. If he waits a year and an assistant takes over Darren and Tucker's status on Forest Ave would nearly be on par with Lewis Lloyd or the 1969 squad.

Would love to see us schedule them at the Well next year ( it would be Q1 ) then in Hilton the following.
You have to believe DeVries learned from Greg McDermott that making the jump to a P6 school isn't always the best move.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I am not sure Oklahoma State made the right move. They have good young talent that could all move on now leaving them to start completely over in the nation's toughest league. Not to mention, that they got hosed with the one year post season suspension for doing much less than KU did and then received essentially no punishment.
But they've had some good young talent for a while and they don't seem to either get much out of them or develop that talent.

Reactions: landerson

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You have to believe DeVries learned from Greg McDermott that making the jump to a P6 school isn't always the best move.

While he certainly shouldn't jump to just any offer, the pay difference between what Drake is likely to pay and what a P6 program will be able to offer is pretty dramatic and certainly a good financial move.

And prior history (including greg's) has shown that if it doesn't work out at the P6 level, its likely there will be another opportunity after that at the midmajor level regardless of how bad it goes at the P6 school.

Reactions: CapnCy

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
View attachment 125572
How could anyone see this leading their program
While he certainly shouldn't jump to just any offer, the pay difference between what Drake is likely to pay and what a P6 program will be able to offer is pretty dramatic and certainly a good financial move.

And prior history (including greg's) has shown that if it doesn't work out at the P6 level, its likely there will be another opportunity after that at the midmajor level regardless of how bad it goes at the P6 school.
i would try to get ok state if I were devries, very easy to slip back into crap at drake after his kid leaves.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

Drake is nearly already topped out and he's at ~$650k.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Drake is nearly already topped out and he's at ~$650k.

I saw that on one site, but also seemed unsure about it since Drake doesn't officially release the salary info being a private school.

But yeah, if he's at 650k, even a low-end P6 salary is probably going to triple that.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I saw that on one site, but also seemed unsure about it since Drake doesn't officially release the salary info being a private school.

But yeah, if he's at 650k, even a low-end P6 salary is probably going to triple that.
This stuff fascinates me. Like Ben Jacobson...has made great money compared to most of us, but probably could have left and made A LOT.

I see Boynton is due $9.1 million buyout. That's on tope of 7 years of very good salary.

If I'm Devries, as much as he could be Drake's longtime hero, his stock is rising and if he could pick a job (not just take a random P5 job), he will get paid and could be in a good situation basketball wise.