2024 Mens CBB Coaching Carousel

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
While he certainly shouldn't jump to just any offer, the pay difference between what Drake is likely to pay and what a P6 program will be able to offer is pretty dramatic and certainly a good financial move.

And prior history (including greg's) has shown that if it doesn't work out at the P6 level, its likely there will be another opportunity after that at the midmajor level regardless of how bad it goes at the P6 school.
I didn't read this before my last comment, but I said similar, but more about finances.

At this point, if he went p6 and failed, he of course could go back to mid-major to coach again...but in todays world...that would also likely come with about $15-20 million after a failed p6 stint.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I didn't read this before my last comment, but I said similar, but more about finances.

At this point, if he went p6 and failed, he of course could go back to mid-major to coach again...but in todays world...that would also likely come with about $15-20 million after a failed p6 stint.

Not to mention there's just as much risk staying at a place like Drake as there is moving up. Sports is fickle. As good as things seem now, things could easily take a downturn even through no fault of his own. Injuries, transfers, etc can derail things quickly.

But that P6 contract? That's guaranteed money no matter how it goes

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not to mention there's just as much risk staying at a place like Drake as there is moving up. Sports is fickle. As good as things seem now, things could easily take a downturn even through no fault of his own. Injuries, transfers, etc can derail things quickly.

But that P6 contract? That's guaranteed money no matter how it goes

And it’s also a chance to challenge yourself at the next level. Idk maybe I’m crazy but if you’re whole career is sports, whether coaching, front office, or playing…the goal is to get to the highest level.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
And it’s also a chance to challenge yourself at the next level. Idk maybe I’m crazy but if you’re whole career is sports, whether coaching, front office, or playing…the goal is to get to the highest level.
For sure, and most of these guys are incredibly competitive and believe in their own abilities. I'm guessing doubt over whether they can win at the next level is less of a factor with most.

Reactions: Gunnerclone