MLB: ***2024 Minnesota Twins***

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think when we got him he had some Pagan like freezer burn to him. I love what I saw last night. But I think I need to manage expectations.
It's the offseason. Now is the time for wildly unrealistic and optimistic expectations.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
That’d be stupid IMO
Disagree. I think they need to shake up the lineup and while I like Polanco, he is injury prone, getting older and could still fetch good value in a trade. Julien or Lee likely takes over 2nd base short term. I don't know if LH starter is where I'd go, I'd be more apt to focus on a RH left fielder who make good contact. If they go after Seattle's Teoscar Hernandez I will flip out.

Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Disagree. I think they need to shake up the lineup and while I like Polanco, he is injury prone, getting older and could still fetch good value in a trade. Julien or Lee likely takes over 2nd base short term. I don't know if LH starter is where I'd go, I'd be more apt to focus on a RH left fielder who make good contact. If they go after Seattle's Teoscar Hernandez I will flip out.
Fair and I agree. I don't think they need to hit a home run with the trade. I feel like they have to be able to easily find an above replacement level LF for a reasonable price. I don't think they need to move Polanco to meet that need.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Fair and I agree. I don't think they need to hit a home run with the trade. I feel like they have to be able to easily find an above replacement level LF for a reasonable price. I don't think they need to move Polanco to meet that need.
The biggest reason for keeping Polanco is comparably his defense is better. The Twins have drafted too many below average defensive players and it's catching up to them. That said, if they don't move someone there is a glut of infielders. AK appears to be headed for 1st or DH. Wallner's position is iffy because again, defense. I like keeping Solano and Castro as utility guys, but something has to give.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Varland's sample size is still small. He was fine in may but terrible in June. I'm not a proponent of pissing around and enduring a starter with a plus 5 era when they can sign someone else who can be better and when the same guy has shown to be lights out in the pen. Use him where you setting him up to succeed. Try him again as a starter if you want but it should be a mildly quick hook to back to a setup guy.
Giving up on him after 15 total MLB starts with a high 4s ERA is shortsighted. It was 3 starts in June that inflated his ERA this season and it's just too soon to give up on a young starter after his first tough stretch, especially given his good results in the minors and stuff that should allow him to stick as a starter.

Give him another 15 starts at least and then reevaluate. It's easy to flip the switch and turn a starter into a reliever and it's both much harder to do the reverse as well as much harder to find a decent starter than reliever.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Giving up on him after 15 total MLB starts with a high 4s ERA is shortsighted. It was 3 starts in June that inflated his ERA this season and it's just too soon to give up on a young starter after his first tough stretch, especially given his good results in the minors and stuff that should allow him to stick as a starter.

Give him another 15 starts at least and then reevaluate. It's easy to flip the switch and turn a starter into a reliever and it's both much harder to do the reverse as well as much harder to find a decent starter than reliever.
Not giving up on him. Stating evidence that starting might not be for him and said it's a small sample size.

There might not be room for him next year and stocking him away in St Paul rotation makes no sense when he has clear, demonstrated high value in the major league pen.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

Not to mention, Varland has been pretty vocal about wanting to be a starter. He was coaxed into relieving this season, with the understanding that he would be a starter next year. I'd say you can lock him into a starter role to begin the season. Lopez, Gray, Ober, Varland, Paddock could be a great lineup.

I think they resign Gray because at 35 he isn't going to get top dollar and a long contract, which is what the Twins shy away from. A high dollar 2-3 year deal would seem to be doable.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
The biggest reason for keeping Polanco is comparably his defense is better. The Twins have drafted too many below average defensive players and it's catching up to them. That said, if they don't move someone there is a glut of infielders. AK appears to be headed for 1st or DH. Wallner's position is iffy because again, defense. I like keeping Solano and Castro as utility guys, but something has to give.
I think you're both overrating Polanco's defense at this point and underselling someone like Brooks Lee and even Julien. Advanced defensive stats average out pretty close between Julien and Polanco this past season. Julien just seems more likely to flub the occasional routine play which sticks with folks.

Castro is 100% safe, can play any position but catcher with enough hitting to not be a big negative there and is a big positive on the base paths.

• Agree
Reactions: Marcelason78

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Not to mention, Varland has been pretty vocal about wanting to be a starter. He was coaxed into relieving this season, with the understanding that he would be a starter next year. I'd say you can lock him into a starter role to begin the season. Lopez, Gray, Ober, Varland, Paddock could be a great lineup.

I think they resign Gray because at 35 he isn't going to get top dollar and a long contract, which is what the Twins shy away from. A high dollar 2-3 year deal would seem to be doable.
Someone like the Mets or something is going to throw some serious money at him. He seemed to love the team and Minnesota so he could be coaxed into taking a little less money potentially but he's still gonna get some serious cash despite his age because premium pitching is in such short supply

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think you're both overrating Polanco's defense at this point and underselling someone like Brooks Lee and even Julien. Advanced defensive stats average out pretty close between Julien and Polanco this past season. Julien just seems more likely to flub the occasional routine play which sticks with folks.

Castro is 100% safe, can play any position but catcher with enough hitting to not be a big negative there and is a big positive on the base paths.
I'd like to see Brooks Lee do it at the major league level some before getting rid of a known comodity like Polanco.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Not giving up on him. Stating evidence that starting might not be for him and said it's a small sample size.

There might not be room for him next year and stocking him away in St Paul rotation makes no sense when he has clear, demonstrated high value in the major league pen.

There's going to be room. Team needs at least 6 quality starters going into next season, given past history at least one of your intended starting 5 being out at any given time. If you don't count Varland the Twins are only at 4 currently and I just don't think it's likely the Twins will spent the money or trade capital to acquire 2 good starters.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I'd like to see Brooks Lee do it at the major league level some before getting rid of a known comodity like Polanco.
Hard to do when they have too many infielders now. Lee will be stud, but I’m anxious as to how the Twins will handle him.
Julien will have to play second as I don’t think they can afford to use him as a DH. Just think Polanco is the most likely trade piece as he may be the odd man out.

Reactions: somecyguy

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Someone like the Mets or something is going to throw some serious money at him. He seemed to love the team and Minnesota so he could be coaxed into taking a little less money potentially but he's still gonna get some serious cash despite his age because premium pitching is in such short supply
That's certainly a possibility. I think the difference maker will be length. If the Mets offer something stupid like 7-8 years, then the Twins might not have a chance.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Hard to do when they have too many infielders now. Lee will be stud, but I’m anxious as to how the Twins will handle him.
Julien will have to play second as I don’t think they can afford to use him as a DH. Just think Polanco is the most likely trade piece as he may be the odd man out.
Lee is also a consensus top 50 prospect, with several having him in the top 20, guys like that you trust more to figure it out.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I see Pat Reusse’s take is that the Twins might trade Polanco for what he says is their greatest need- a LH starter.
I am not opposed to any trade from depth. The only downside to trading Polanco is that he wouldn't have as much value. However, he might be a key piece in a Mariners trade because they need help now.

• Agree
Reactions: Marcelason78

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
If the traded Polanco for a pitcher, then I think they'd make Lee the full time starter there. Same reason I would be okay with trading Julien for a guy like Mich Keller.

Lee could be a CF, but if he was 2B, signing Taylor again for CF would be good.

Yunior Severino is another guy who is ready to debut and can play 2B.

Just a lot of 2B depth in the system right now.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Lee is also a consensus top 50 prospect, with several having him in the top 20, guys like that you trust more to figure it out.
Julien at DH depends on Buxton. If Buxton continues his suckitude, there is plenty of room for Julien. If Buxton hits great but has to DH, then it's tough.

Polanco, Festa and Emmanuel Rodriguez might be enough to get the Mariners talking about Logan Gilbert or George Kirby.

Pirates wouldn't want Polanco so he wouldn't help get Mitch Keller. Julien might though.

I fully expect that Lee will play more than half of next year and by the end of the year, he will be a fixture. His flexibility is nice. Polanco wouldn't hold him back from 2B long term. He could be the main CF. He could fill in at 3B if Lewis gets injured.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
If the traded Polanco for a pitcher, then I think they'd make Lee the full time starter there. Same reason I would be okay with trading Julien for a guy like Mich Keller.

Lee could be a CF, but if he was 2B, signing Taylor again for CF would be good.

Yunior Severino is another guy who is ready to debut and can play 2B.

Just a lot of 2B depth in the system right now.

Reports I've read suggest Severino likely wouldn't be much of a defensive upgrade from Julien at 2B

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Don’t get me wrong. I certainly hope you’re right for sure. I’ve seen his highlights. As a lifelong ISU/Minnesota sports fan, I’m a bit hardened and I just want to see it before I put any weight to it.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’ve seen Polanco and Julien play in person at 2nd base. The difference is drastic and not subtle. We need someone better defensively than Julien there or for him to get a lot better.