MLB: ***2024 Minnesota Twins***

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Reports I've read suggest Severino likely wouldn't be much of a defensive upgrade from Julien at 2B

Yeah, was recruited as a SS. Played more 2B and 3B this year with a little bit of DH. With his size, I bet he ends up at 1B.

My point was more about the overall depth. If Polanco is expendable because you have Julien, then you could say Julien is is expendable because you have Severino. Julian or Severino might not be the best options (Lee probably would be), but if you trade Julien to get Mitch Keller (for example) and Lee is needed in CF, Severino is probably still a decent option. They have a lot of possibilities for sure.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I’ve seen Polanco and Julien play in person at 2nd base. The difference is drastic and not subtle. We need someone better defensively than Julien there or for him to get a lot better.

How often have you seen them? I had read that Julien did make improvements this year. Not that he's good, but just not nearly so bad.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
How often have you seen them? I had read that Julien did make improvements this year. Not that he's good, but just not nearly so bad.
Julien is playable. But watch them long enough and you will know what I’m talking about. Which makes it even more mind boggling that Polanco can’t play third to save his life.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Julien is playable. But watch them long enough and you will know what I’m talking about. Which makes it even more mind boggling that Polanco can’t play third to save his life.

Oh, I don't think he will ever be as good a defender as Polanco.

Maybe he'll turn into Corey Koskie. He was brutal defensively early on and turned himself into a borderline gold glover.

And yeah, if Lewis got hurt next year, Polanco at 3rd and Julien at 2nd is an awful idea.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Lack of arm strength. Plus third requires quicker twitch than playing 2nd. Not everyone can do it.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Most likely the Twins will sign both Kepler and Polanco after the WS. A lot of speculation on one (or both) being traded for pitching. The other big decision will be who they put in CF.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Sounds like the Twins decided to go in a different direction. Wasn’t Bremer’s choice.

Given the amicable tweets all around and Bremer still having an official role with the Twins I suspect it's a bit more complicated than just being forced out.

Tpups21

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
Provus is really good. I listened to most of the games on the radio this year due to the horrible TV options in Iowa. Innings 4-6 with Gladden doing play by play were rough. Gladden is good at color but not play by play.
Never know what’s happening when Gladden is doing play-by-play.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
It was announced that Cory Provus is taking over for **** Bremer on TV broadcasts, but the bigger news is that it sounds like blackouts will go away. That is huge for people living in Iowa.
I intensely dislike Chris Atterbury as the radio play by play guy and he's the one taking over for Provis. I listen to the broadcasts more than I watch them on TV, because that's the way I grew up following the Twins, listening to Herb Carneal on the radio broadcasts. Still remember going to bed when I was in high school with a transistor radio held to my ear when the Twins were on a western road trip.

Last edited: