***2024 NCAA Wrestling - Session 6/FINALS (Sat., 6:00)***

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I had to watch the match again since some of you are defending the announcers. I think my initial impression of poor announcing was right.…

As others have mentioned, the stalling calls were just horrible (the second one unbelievable).
Agree that the announcers left much too be desired, but the stalling calls were simply egregious. What’s the background with the ref and does Dresser have any recourse? Or will Dresser just take the win and move on?

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I had to watch the match again since some of you are defending the announcers. I think my initial impression of poor announcing was right. And maybe it was just Cormier (all due respect; he was a great wrestler; that doesn't mean he's a good announcer). The commentators on an ostensibly neutral site (you tube) also largely critical of refs and announcers.

You can decide on your own but my title for the announcing:

The Story of Mesenbrink's Cheerleader with some Disrepect to Carr:

--"Mesenbrink loves wrestling"/he's out there working; having a good time (mentioned at least twice) (as if his love for wrestling exceeds that of other wrestlers, including Carr).
--No one can keep up with his Mesenbrink's pace (this was repeated at least three times)
Also: "Mesenbrink making Carr work"
Also: "Mesenbrink making [Carr] uncomfortable"
Also: The pace is now catching up [with Carr]
Also: Carr looking at the clock (mentioned twice--in 1st or 2nd prd)(Implied: he's stalling)
--Does [Carr] have the energy to ride him out?? (with about 20 sec's left in the 2nd)(and after he had almost accumulated 2:00 of riding time)(Mesen did get out w/about 2 sec's left but no cause to ask the Q to begin with).
--[Carr] "taking desperation shots"

At the end of the match, the announcers disagreed on who outwrestled who (meaning: someone thought the score didn't reflect this?).

As others have mentioned, the stalling calls were just horrible (the second one unbelievable).

Got to agree with you. Only gave Carr props because they had to.

Reactions: joefrog

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Agree that the announcers left much too be desired, but the stalling calls were simply egregious. What’s the background with the ref and does Dresser have any recourse? Or will Dresser just take the win and move on?
I don't know, but as a general principle if you don't suffer actual harm (in this case, a loss) there's usually not a case for recourse. On the other hand, everyone watched this one, and maybe some who have influence over the refs were taking notes.

Last edited:
Reactions: rx35285

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Got to agree with you. Only gave Carr props because they had to.
I don't know where the hell they got this fixation over Mesenbrink's pace or tank. He's a freshman for god's sakes, who hasn't wrestled a lot of really tough matches. Conversely, I don't recall anyone ever questioning Carr's tank until this announcer--who kept saying Carr was going to tire or falter even though he had two takedowns, two escapes, a boatload of riding time and the lead against the freshman golden boy. Maybe I missed it. Didn't someone here surmise that O'Toole gassed in his match against Carr?

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I don't know but as a general principle if you didn't suffer actual harm (in this case, a loss) there's usually not a case for recourse. On the other hand, everyone watched this one, and maybe some who have influence over the refs were taking notes.
Hope so, calling stalling one second before David’s second TD was just laughable. This guy should never be able to do a national tourney again.

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
I had to watch the match again since some of you are defending the announcers. I think my initial impression of poor announcing was right. And maybe it was just Cormier (all due respect; he was a great wrestler; that doesn't mean he's a good announcer). The commentators on an ostensibly neutral site (you tube) also largely critical of refs and announcers.

You can decide on your own but my title for the announcing:

The Story of Mesenbrink's Cheerleader with some Disrepect to Carr:

--"Mesenbrink loves wrestling"/he's out there working; having a good time (mentioned at least twice) (as if his love for wrestling exceeds that of other wrestlers, including Carr).
--No one can keep up with his Mesenbrink's pace (this was repeated at least three times)
Also: "Mesenbrink making Carr work"
Also: "Mesenbrink making [Carr] uncomfortable"
Also: The pace is now catching up [with Carr]
Also: Carr looking at the clock (mentioned twice--in 1st or 2nd prd)(Implied: he's stalling)
--Does [Carr] have the energy to ride him out?? (with about 20 sec's left in the 2nd)(and after he had almost accumulated 2:00 of riding time)(Mesen did get out w/about 2 sec's left but no cause to ask the Q to begin with).
--[Carr] "taking desperation shots"

At the end of the match, the announcers disagreed on who outwrestled who (meaning: someone thought the score didn't reflect this?).

JB loves David. I think he was trying too hard to not be biased and he came out sounding dumb. Carr was 2 to 1 on takedowns and rode him for two minutes. It wasn’t in question who the better wrestler was.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
JB loves David. I think he was trying too hard to not be biased and he came out sounding dumb. Carr was 2 to 1 on takedowns and rode him for two minutes. It wasn’t in question who the better wrestler was.
So instead he was biased towards the PSU wrestler? Got it!

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
Rewarched without all the emotion. 1st stall terrible, 2nd stall even worse, messenbrink calls injury time and david doesn't get to go down. That was atrocious officiating.
They mentioned that it was an official's time out (to check for injury/blood). If so this isn't an issue.

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
Has Sanderson been egregious towards ISU? Outside of burning us 15 yrs ago?
Don't think so. He was even back on campus in the past year for the gathering of a lot of wrestling alum. And I am one that has been disappointed in his actions 15 years ago, and can't stand Penn State ever since. I have been told to let it go, but I still burn a little.

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
Just watched Carr's match... 2 observations:
The TV announcers are clowns, and Carr gets called for stalling? Are you kidding me? Have those refs ever seen Fix or Woods?
I also rewatched 2x. I don't have any strong feelings about the verbal coverage, and I went in expecting to tear them up. The officiating, on the other hand, was egregious. The first stall call was bogus, but the second was egregiously horrible. David was stalling in the third near the end, but then stepped it up again with circling. I watched all week long, and I saw all kinds of stalling that was never called. The fact that they called it any time other than the 3rd was disgusting.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I also rewatched 2x. I don't have any strong feelings about the verbal coverage, and I went in expecting to tear them up. The officiating, on the other hand, was egregious. The first stall call was bogus, but the second was egregiously horrible. David was stalling in the third near the end, but then stepped it up again with circling. I watched all week long, and I saw all kinds of stalling that was never called. The fact that they called it any time other than the 3rd was disgusting.
Watch the match before his and then his. No idea how less stalls in that one.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Neither did, but with the heads colliding I think that they were checking. Probably didn't need to, and it only took a few seconds. Chalk that up to another officiating snafu.
I was thinking it was still a couple minute break. It was just an odd thing since the ref didn’t announce anything in the arena.