2024 solar eclipse

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Probably can on your map too, but his link let's you zoom in on the path/map

Denver/Colorado will be a nuts for this one.
Path of totality goes just south of Denver, right over Colorado Springs, Aspen, Vail, Grand Junction

Probably no difference, but might be cool to see it at that altitude
I imagine the summits of the '14ers in the path will be crowded as hell that day. Wouldn't find a better viewing spot than at the top of a mountain.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Too cloudy in charlotte.
In North Central Iowa, part of the time there was a thin layer of clouds and we could see the crescent perfectly through the clouds. It would probably still burn out your retinas if you looked very long.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Can we cut it loose while no one there is able to see?
giphy.gif

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I’ve already had 7 people come to the ED complaining about eye related issues after the eclipse. Just so everyone is aware there is nothing we can do if there is actual damage and you’re just going to waste your time.

Make an appointment with an eye doctor if symptoms persist after 48 hours unless you are having very blurred vision or are experiencing a loss in vision such as a dark spot. Even then not a lot to do

*edit it’s also unlikely (not impossible just rare if taking precautions) there is permanent damage, don’t want to scare anyone with the “not much we can do” line

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
From what I hear, there’s a radical difference between the partial eclipse we’re getting in Iowa and actually being in the path of the total eclipse. I can’t say, because I’ve never experienced it, but those who’ve been there for a total eclipse say it’s indescribable.
It really is a huge difference. Just 1% of the sun exposed is many times brighter than a full moon. When that last little bit of sun is obscured it is like someone finally flipped the switch on the lights rather than inching down the dimmer. A bunch of us stayed at a friend's place near Cameron, MO for the 2017 eclipse. It was pretty cool to be out by their pool watching it all go down.

I was glad we were able to take our kids to it. Especially since this one was a bust for us up here in Minnesota since we had complete and constant cloud cover. The old man may be dead before the kids get a chance at another one.

Reactions: tnacin

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Waukee isn't letting kids out or near the windows. I understand with today's lawsuit environment if a kid has the stupids.

I remember back in probably 5th or 6th grade going outside and using those pin hole boxes.
Yeah, I remember doing the pinhole thing for the 1979 eclipse. They just gave us two index cards and we punched a hole in one of them. It is surprising that the kid in my class who got the lowest score ever in the Iowa Test of Basic Skills didn't burn his retinas to a crisp that day. Eating glue was too complex of a concept for him to master.

• Haha
Reactions: Jer

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I’ve already had 7 people come to the ED complaining about eye related issues after the eclipse. Just so everyone is aware there is nothing we can do if there is actual damage and you’re just going to waste your time.

Make an appointment with an eye doctor if symptoms persist after 48 hours unless you are having very blurred vision or are experiencing a loss in vision such as a dark spot. Even then not a lot to do

*edit it’s also unlikely (not impossible just rare if taking precautions) there is permanent damage, don’t want to scare anyone with the “not much we can do” line
What I read was that looking at it when it's near total eclipse is about the only way to cause serious damage. Anything else is too bright and it's basically physically impossible to force yourself to look at the sun long enough because of the discomfort. For example I doubt anyone in Iowa could have hurt their eyes even though we got close to 90% here. It was still really bright.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Ever notice when there’s a political post in a non-political thread which side it always comes fr… never mind.
I know one side is a bunch of ultra sensitive snowflakes.

Reactions: Acylum