2024 solar eclipse

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
eclipse_coolness.png

I had about 3.5 minutes of totality. It was awesome.

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Finally got to a hotel in Chicago. Left Ankeny before 7 and got to a spot just 15 mins before totality by Indianapolis. Definitely worth the drive! Was a surreal experience during totality.

The traffic up to Chicago sucked though. Maybe should have just spent the night in Davenport but wanted to visit Chicago as well.

Attachments

• PXL_20240408_190833729.jpg
    PXL_20240408_190833729.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I’ve already had 7 people come to the ED complaining about eye related issues after the eclipse. Just so everyone is aware there is nothing we can do if there is actual damage and you’re just going to waste your time.

Make an appointment with an eye doctor if symptoms persist after 48 hours unless you are having very blurred vision or are experiencing a loss in vision such as a dark spot. Even then not a lot to do

*edit it’s also unlikely (not impossible just rare if taking precautions) there is permanent damage, don’t want to scare anyone with the “not much we can do” line
Unfortunately, this does not surprise me in the least. Peeps be dumb.

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
I’ve already had 7 people come to the ED complaining about eye related issues after the eclipse. Just so everyone is aware there is nothing we can do if there is actual damage and you’re just going to waste your time.

Make an appointment with an eye doctor if symptoms persist after 48 hours unless you are having very blurred vision or are experiencing a loss in vision such as a dark spot. Even then not a lot to do

*edit it’s also unlikely (not impossible just rare if taking precautions) there is permanent damage, don’t want to scare anyone with the “not much we can do” line
they were all with me in ohio smoking cigs

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Did anyone else in totality see the little cutout dot on the bottom of the moon? It was like a notch.

We were in SE MO. Winona.

Yes, we did. Assumed it was a crater on the moon's surface. We also noticed a tiny bright spot at the bottom. Pretty sure that was a solar flare of some sort. Really cool to see details like that!

Reactions: CascadeClone

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Yes, we did. Assumed it was a crater on the moon's surface. We also noticed a tiny bright spot at the bottom. Pretty sure that was a solar flare of some sort. Really cool to see details like that!

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Here’s the difference between 94% and regular in Chicago. It gave me the “forest fire smoke in the sky” feel.

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
From what I hear, there’s a radical difference between the partial eclipse we’re getting in Iowa and actually being in the path of the total eclipse. I can’t say, because I’ve never experienced it, but those who’ve been there for a total eclipse say it’s indescribable.
Didn’t check the tread today as we partied and then watched the game tonight. We were in totality for about 3-4 minutes. Was very anticlimactic but kinda cool and then the drastic changes to the temperature and darkness over a 10 minute span was really cool.

My folks from Iowa did not buy fireworks along the way to visit like I sorta hinted at but I had some old sparklers that the kids loved. Pitch black and cool to look at the sun during totality. Everyone should experience a total eclipse but I’ll never do it again. Wife seems to think the same that we wouldn’t drive to do it. I said if I wanted to spend a bunch of money on a scarce hotel room and spend the day in a green space with 40k other people, I’ll go to the masters for a practice round.

Reactions: Tailg8er