2024 solar eclipse

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Thought about heading down to Cape Girardeau and getting a camping spot. However, I bet most things are taken. Probably will end up just staying home. Or drive down and back in the same day like a crazy person.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I know this is going to surprise everyone but @ChrisMWilliams thinks the eclipse stuff is a conspiracy

I think he has a point that they should say "this particular type/level/kind of eclipse won't happen again in this specific area of viewing" rather than just "this will never happen again in our lives". There is a boy who cried wolf aspect when you reach a certain age if you're just paying attention to the headline and aren't some kind of astronomy fan.

Reactions: Letterkenny

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Staying in The St. Louis area Sunday night and driving down. Heading to a random small town, Zeigler, IL (pop. 1,400). I checked their Facebook page and they have zero activity planned, which I like. If too hard to get into town I will just park on a random gravel road.

Thanks for the tips about bringing your own meal.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
If you're going to a watch party, play this song loudly on repeat all day. The people around you will thank you

• Haha
Reactions: 2020cy

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
will-ferrell-curious-like-a-cat.gif

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It was my plan to fly in down near Carbondale but being VFR only and some other personal considerations I had to scrub.

Reactions: khardbored

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I know this is going to surprise everyone but @ChrisMWilliams thinks the eclipse stuff is a conspiracy

If you're referring to what he said yesterday on 2GNC I didn't take that as him thinking it's a conspiracy, moreso he thinks it's hugely overrated (unless I missed specific conspiracy talk). I've seen some places say this is once in a lifetime/won't happen again for x00 years, then see other places that say the next one will be in 2044 - which is it?

As an outsider who admits to not fully understanding how big this event is supposed to be, I tend to agree. It's crazy to me that people will fly or drive in ridiculous traffic somewhere on a Monday just to see it get dark for an hour. Especially when you consider there could be complete cloud cover (or worse) wherever you end up during the event.

Everything you guys have mentioned about bumper to bumper traffic taking hours to go a few miles, small towns full of thousands of people, restaurants booked solid/gas stations running out of gas sound like things straight out of my nightmares.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
If you're referring to what he said yesterday on 2GNC I didn't take that as him thinking it's a conspiracy, moreso he thinks it's hugely overrated (unless I missed specific conspiracy talk). I've seen some places say this is once in a lifetime/won't happen again for x00 years, then see other places that say the next one will be in 2044 - which is it?

As an outsider who admits to not fully understanding how big this event is supposed to be, I tend to agree. It's crazy to me that people will fly or drive in ridiculous traffic somewhere on a Monday just to see it get dark for an hour. Especially when you consider there could be complete cloud cover (or worse) wherever you end up during the event.

Everything you guys have mentioned about bumper to bumper traffic taking hours to go a few miles, small towns full of thousands of people, restaurants booked solid/gas stations running out of gas sound like things straight out of my nightmares.
It is dark for 4 minutes if in the center of totality. And pretty ******* awesome too.