***#3 Iowa State vs. #20 Illinois (Sunday, noon)/B&B***

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm just relaying what i observed.
I agree. I knew. My crew knew. The people around us didn't. I think part of the confusion was tickets for the event if you were a season ticket holder must of had the section row seat on them. I had a lady super pissed at me at one point as she claimed a seat was hers when my son went to take a piss and it was open. She said that's my season seat. I said I'm sure it is but today its not.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
The seating was a god damned cluster f*ck. They should do it again based on the size of the crowd but they need to figure something out to have it be more structured and communicate this better to those that attend how it’s set up.
Also, we have wrestling parking passes and no one was at the "gate" yesterday on the north side of Hilton. Glad we came really early.
Agree this event needs some (OK, a lot) tweaking another time. Would be awesome if both wrestling and gymnastics went against the same team, but that's unlikely to happen.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Also, we have wrestling parking passes and no one was at the "gate" yesterday on the north side of Hilton. Glad we came really early.
Agree this event needs some (OK, a lot) tweaking another time. Would be awesome if both wrestling and gymnastics went against the same team, but that's unlikely to happen.
Agree. I was surprised to see no one checking parking passes. We knew seats were GA, so we got there about 11. Got our seats about a section over from normal, but did have a couple people showed up late thinking they had reserved seats. Also went and got my wife and I a Clone Cone right away and no line!!!

They need to not have the seat number on the ticket for this date when you download it. Quite a few were confused.

Nice crowd though!

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Agree. I was surprised to see no one checking parking passes. We knew seats were GA, so we got there about 11. Got our seats about a section over from normal, but did have a couple people showed up late thinking they had reserved seats. Also went and got my wife and I a Clone Cone right away and no line!!!

They need to not have the seat number on the ticket for this date when you download it. Quite a few were confused.

Nice crowd though!
We got there just before 11 went in the door by Johhny's - we had our parking pass checked .

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
There was someone checking if you went to north side, but nobody on the south side when we got there
The north side seems so hit or miss if anyone is working much less acting like they give a **** what you do.

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
I will never understand die hard wrestling fans. There were twice as many people in attendance than most meets and season ticket holders were inconvenienced by an event that is promoting 2 sports that need more support. There was plenty of notice about the ticket situation, and if you didnt figure it out, you should have looked it up before hand since it was more than a wrestling meet.

P.S.- If you got mad at your usher/event staff and decided to let them know about your failure to plan, don't do it again. Out of everyone in the building, I would say they have the least amount of say in the situation. And yes, I heard and saw more than a handful of folks doing that.

• Agree
Reactions: crablegs

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I tend to disagree. People who bought a season ticket would have the expectation that they get the same seat all season, unless notified otherwise at the time of purchase. Add to that the apparent fact that the ticket had the season's seat printed on it doesn't ameliorate all the notice they may have received. In that situation, I would have rolled, but I can understand why some people would be upset. It seems the school might have handled this better.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Just my preference, but I could live with a discontinuance of the Beauty and the Beast event from here on out. When I go to see a wrestling meet, I just want to watch wrestling. I have no problem with gymnastics, but I would rather just have one sport at a time. I'd feel the same about any combination of sports - just one sport at time please.

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
One thing I love about Iowa State is they truly try to make kids fans of all things Iowa State. This event was more for the kids.

This event had more people in attendance than any other meet this year and its not even close. It's good for the sport, if you want to grow it. But I've come to learn that wrestling fans continue to want to keep it a niche sport.

Wrestling won't grow unless there are people participating and watching. Most wrestling fans I know grew up wrestling or in a wrestling family. Very few 40 year olds are going to suddenly start wrestling.

The beauty and the beast event was a great event. It was competitive, if was entertaining, and there were probably hundreds of kids that saw 2 sports they have never seen. And maybe, just maybe there will be 100 kids that say, hey mom, I want to wrestle.

This event wasn't for season ticket holders. Heck, a lot of the seats weren't even there to be sat in.

JohnPrineforCy

Feb 1, 2019
I can't get my oldest daughter to watch any sports events with me, and I watch a lot of sports. This was the first time she actually got excited and sat down and watch the entire event with me. She is just getting started in gymanstics, so that caught her attention, but she also started asking questions about the wrestling and who do we want to win. It was a lot of fun and I am for this obscure events.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
One thing I love about Iowa State is they truly try to make kids fans of all things Iowa State. This event was more for the kids.

This event had more people in attendance than any other meet this year and its not even close. It's good for the sport, if you want to grow it. But I've come to learn that wrestling fans continue to want to keep it a niche sport.

Wrestling won't grow unless there are people participating and watching. Most wrestling fans I know grew up wrestling or in a wrestling family. Very few 40 year olds are going to suddenly start wrestling.

The beauty and the beast event was a great event. It was competitive, if was entertaining, and there were probably hundreds of kids that saw 2 sports they have never seen. And maybe, just maybe there will be 100 kids that say, hey mom, I want to wrestle.

This event wasn't for season ticket holders. Heck, a lot of the seats weren't even there to be sat in.

I don't think anyone wants to keep it a niche sport. It's the changes for a single event that ruffle feathers because people that paid for reserved seats want reserved seats, and you also change the time people need to arrive so they can now try and find seats. Sounds minor, and in the grand scheme it is, but it makes the event much less enjoyable.

If they had a one time change to general admission seating for a womens basketball, mens basketball or football game to accommodate something then you would see the same type of feedback.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

This is where I am at. Was I super annoyed with some aspects of it? Absolutely. But a shitload of people showed up and watched #3 team in the country, the team I care about. In the end, this is a good thing and worth some bumpiness. I hope they keep this up.

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
I don't think anyone wants to keep it a niche sport. It's the changes for a single event that ruffle feathers because people that paid for reserved seats want reserved seats, and you also change the time people need to arrive so they can now try and find seats. Sounds minor, and in the grand scheme it is, but it makes the event much less enjoyable.

If they had a one time change to general admission seating for a womens basketball, mens basketball or football game to accommodate something then you would see the same type of feedback.
That's on you. I saw thousands of people enjoying themselves. I also saw plenty of season ticket holders get there when Johnnys opened and reserve their seats. People knew. I'm more annoyed with the fans that were getting pissy with the event staff.

Reactions: crablegs

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
That's on you. I saw thousands of people enjoying themselves. I also saw plenty of season ticket holders get there when Johnnys opened and reserve their seats. People knew. I'm more annoyed with the fans that were getting pissy with the event staff.
That's just ridiculous for them to take it out on staff. They deserved to be called out for that type of stuff.

Reactions: oskyclone

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
My folks went on Sunday, their first wrestling meet in Hilton in probably 30 years.

They had no idea about the Beauty and the Beast event, but they adapted and figured it out (and they're old).

They actually liked the music, they felt like it added a little energy when there wasn't much scoring in a match. I can definitely understand why some wrestlers might not care for it.

They also really enjoyed Johnny's.

I hope they can find a way to make it a better TV product. Split screen and no announcers wasn't ideal.

Maybe I just need to tag along next time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron