34,732 Enrolled This Fall at Iowa State

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
no, lactose intolerant. Plus almond milk is better :jimlad: I am soil science.

Lactose intolerant? I knew you were a pu$$y!! You haven't FedExed me any bourbon yet. I'm a fan of Lexington, KY. We'll be stopping there in November.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Sidewalks are disastrous between 10-2. You can always count on an idiot texting and walking in slo-mo while doing so. The food trucks have helped out but the infrastructure is pushed about as far as it can go.

The second they had to have people living in dens to me was the point Iowa State was ruining the experience of the dorms.

They've had people living in dens for 20 years.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I've heard that Leath wants to get to 40k. Obviously, they are going to have to do some major building to accommodate so many students.

As far as student attendance at FB games, they sold out student tickets. At this point, it's about getting students to stop partying and come inside. After NDSU, that was probably a tough sell for some.

When I heard him speak this summer he stated they have a plan to accommodate 35k (IIRC) without big compromises to quality but if they go north of that than they would have to work with Regents on admissions. They don't want to change admissions (and cannot change overall standards without Regents direction/approval) but they might have to if things don't level off.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
I know they just built a new dorm in Iowa City, but not sure if it's directed at increasing enrollment. I don't think increased enrollment will hurt Iowa or ISU at all. Both schools, especially Iowa need to start focusing on drawing more in-state kids. Especially those from smaller towns where class rank in smaller school districts doesn't really apply.

http://thegazette.com/subject/news/...ty-admission-wants-more-transparency-20140905

sleestakCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2013
The Gazette article linked above is a good read.

Many of the Hawk fans are claiming that Iowa is a 'tougher' admit because they admit fewer students that do not meet the RAI 245 index. Now we know why...

"The Gazette reported that the UI in 2013 admitted 20.8 percent of its applicants with scores below 245 — the threshold for automatic admission — while ISU admitted 36.9 percent of its low-scoring applicants, and UNI admitted 79.6 percent, according to regent documents.Donley told The Gazette that his office looked deeper into the numbers and discovered the “sophisticated statistical methodology” that both ISU and UNI use for students without class rank.
In a June 19 email obtained by The Gazette, Board of Regents Academic Program Officer Jason Pontius told Donley that the UI numbers for students admitted with scores below the 245 threshold are “artificially low.”
“However, we don’t know how much higher they are in reality,” Pontius wrote in the email. “I doubt even Iowa really knows.”

And...

"Donley points out in his piece that one-year retention rates of resident undergraduate students in ISU’s last two freshmen classes “were slightly higher than at the University of Iowa.”

“Similarly, the six-year graduation rates of ISU resident undergraduate students are also slightly higher than at the University of Iowa,” Donley wrote.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
The Gazette article linked above is a good read.

Many of the Hawk fans are claiming that Iowa is a 'tougher' admit because they admit fewer students that do not meet the RAI 245 index. Now we know why...

"The Gazette reported that the UI in 2013 admitted 20.8 percent of its applicants with scores below 245 — the threshold for automatic admission — while ISU admitted 36.9 percent of its low-scoring applicants, and UNI admitted 79.6 percent, according to regent documents.Donley told The Gazette that his office looked deeper into the numbers and discovered the “sophisticated statistical methodology” that both ISU and UNI use for students without class rank.
In a June 19 email obtained by The Gazette, Board of Regents Academic Program Officer Jason Pontius told Donley that the UI numbers for students admitted with scores below the 245 threshold are “artificially low.”
“However, we don’t know how much higher they are in reality,” Pontius wrote in the email. “I doubt even Iowa really knows.”

And...

"Donley points out in his piece that one-year retention rates of resident undergraduate students in ISU’s last two freshmen classes “were slightly higher than at the University of Iowa.”

“Similarly, the six-year graduation rates of ISU resident undergraduate students are also slightly higher than at the University of Iowa,” Donley wrote.

Here is a document better explaining it: http://www.regents.iowa.gov/news/DonleyopedRAI072814.pdf

Basically UI doesn't calculate RAI for all of its applicants.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Here is a document better explaining it: http://www.regents.iowa.gov/news/DonleyopedRAI072814.pdf

Basically UI doesn't calculate RAI for all of its applicants.

ISU does a better job of admitting students from smaller schools where class rank isn't applicable.

I had to jump thru a lot more hurdles to get admitted at Iowa than i did at ISU 20 years ago. The methodology was different back then but I was ultimately accepted to both schools and ended up going to ISU. Iowa may be changing things a bit since they did enroll their largest freshman class ever according to the Daily Iowan:

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2014/09/11/Metro/38960.html

Last edited:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Iowa also has the highest 4 year graduation rate of the 3 state schools

I imagine this is heavily impacted by what students choose to major in. Nearly 75% of UI undegrads are in their College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, compared to only 9% in their College of Engineering.

Comparatively, at Iowa State, just 24% are in Liberal Arts and Sciences but 26% are in Engineering.

This is an imperfect comparison, but nearly three times as many Iowa State undergrads (as a proportion of the student body) are in engineering, notorious for frequently taking 5 years, than are in engineering at Iowa.

Numbers:
http://www.registrar.uiowa.edu/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=gCgLAYlmIlg=&tabid=133&mid=579
http://www.registrar.iastate.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/stats/university/F14summary.pdf

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was below 245. For two reasons.

My class ranking was in the bottom 50% (With almost 450 students!) even though I had a 3.1 in High School. To be in the top 25% of our class you had to have a 3.9 or higher. Which caused my high school to change their grading scale dramatically.

They didn't accept all of my credits because I went to a trade school attached to my high school for half the day. None of those classes counted for the RAI score.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
53% of the student body is in the LAS program. I'm guessing the largest chunk would be 1st or 2nd year students prior to being accepted into the college program of choice. (Tippie etc) A large number of Iowa's programs are also pre-professional, which means pre-med, pre-law etc and they're designed to get people through in 4 years and onto the professional program

I would probably say there are more students enrolled in other BS programs at ISU than engineering. You have all the agriculture programs, school of design and computer technology as well. Do you have to apply for admission into the college of engineering or are the majority accepted upon admission to school?

Last edited:

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
ISU does a better job of admitting students from smaller schools where class rank isn't applicable.

I had to jump thru a lot more hurdles to get admitted at Iowa than i did at ISU 20 years ago. The methodology was different back then but I was ultimately accepted to both schools and ended up going to ISU. Iowa may be changing things a bit since they did enroll their largest freshman class ever according to the Daily Iowan:

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2014/09/11/Metro/38960.html
Gotta say it, but a lot of that has to do with the major they are graduating in. Liberal Arts College at Iowa is helping that some.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
53% of the student body is in the LAS program. I'm guessing the largest chunk would be 1st or 2nd year students prior to being accepted into the college program of choice. (Tippie etc) A large number of Iowa's programs are also pre-professional, which means pre-med, pre-law etc and they're designed to get people through in 4 years and onto the professional program

I would probably say there are more students enrolled in other BS programs at ISU than engineering. You have all the agriculture programs, school of design and computer technology as well. Do you have to apply for admission into the college of engineering or are the majority accepted upon admission to school?
Engineering is accepted upon admission. Also, the Ag program is not a joke. I think people not affiliated with that might view it that way.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Iowa also has the highest 4 year graduation rate of the 3 state schools

You also don't have a concentration of majors where 5 years is expected, or even required. For example, if an engineering student does a co-op and graduates in 5 years instead of 4 that is hardly a knock on the student or the program. There's a reason that 6 year graduation rates are so often the ones quoted, because the four year rate doesn't begin to tell the whole story about how people are doing.