36,001 Enrollment at ISU

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
That new dorm near Buchanan will only be a bandaid. They've got to start building dorms left and right to play catchup with all these students.

This is correct. They've done some work but frankly not enough, and growth has happened at a rate too quickly to keep up with.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It's Freddy court. His roommate is a friend of mine and made that back in about 2001 for a class. Still holds up in terms of quality for the era of editing and just likeness to cribs.

Isn't that all multi-bedroom units with living rooms and full kitchen? Why would you stuff all that in a room?

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
This is correct. They've done some work but frankly not enough, and growth has happened at a rate too quickly to keep up with.

Has the crazy rate of apartments being built in the last ten years helped? There are so many more complexes in Ames than there was when I went to school there.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Has the crazy rate of apartments being built in the last ten years helped? There are so many more complexes in Ames than there was when I went to school there.

Absolutely. The biggest issue with housing has been Freshmen living away from campus more often. I know that happens a lot of places, but I've always had the opinion it's good if Freshmen can live on campus. Some may disagree with me, and that's okay but that's at least the way I see it.

Also, they've had students living in dens a lot. The dining centers are also packed like never before.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Absolutely. The biggest issue with housing has been Freshmen living away from campus more often. I know that happens a lot of places, but I've always had the opinion it's good if Freshmen can live on campus. Some may disagree with me, and that's okay but that's at least the way I see it.

Also, they've had students living in dens a lot. The dining centers are also packed like never before.

I agree that living on campus at least your first year is a good thing. I know a lot of people who moved out right after that year, but still loved the experience and friendships you can create in dorms. I'm glad I stayed in Friley for two years to grow those friendships.

Go off campus right away your freshman year, you're more likely to hang out with people you knew from High School exclusively.

Reactions: Cy$

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Has that genius Leath hired more faculty or built more dorms? Are kids still living in common areas until others drop out or find other housing?

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I'm not sure they had anyone living in dens this year, they have leased a bunch of apartment space to accommodate while the new 800 student dorm gets built. There is a new dining center being built in Friley too. They are working on bike and ped improvements on campus as well. Several large facility projects are underway ($50 mil advanced Teaching and Research building, $30 mil addition to Bessey Hall, and $80 mil Student innovation center) that will add a lot of new space for classrooms, offices, and labs.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My sister-in-law got placed in Helser this year and she complains about it every day.

Son was in Helser two years. Thought about them with the heat last week, the place is sweltering hot. But his best friends are still his Helser buddies, you bond in adversity.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I'm not sure they had anyone living in dens this year, they have leased a bunch of apartment space to accommodate while the new 800 student dorm gets built. There is a new dining center being built in Friley too. They are working on bike and ped improvements on campus as well. Several large facility projects are underway ($50 mil advanced Teaching and Research building, $30 mil addition to Bessey Hall, and $80 mil Student innovation center) that will add a lot of new space for classrooms, offices, and labs.

I can confirm they do. It may be temporary but as of the first week of classes there were dens with students living in them.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Wait what! The return of Windows, or Dungeons?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Percentage wise maybe not as much. This one comes to mind though:

UCF-Historical-Headcount.png

Looking around a bit

Arizona State has gone from about 61k to 82k

Alabama has had a rise from about 21k 10 years ago to 36k last fall.

Interesting all warm weather schools. and areas with good populations other than maybe Bama. I think this makes ISUs' growth even more remarkable.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I find it amazing that students pay the high rent for those new apartments on Lincoln Way.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron