36,001 Enrollment at ISU

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Are they still doing nothing with the Towers area? My brother lived there way back when.

Yes, they still use towers for housing. Lately they also have been building new apartments a long lincoln way. They added two with them being 23 twenty and the Foundry. I know next year they are suppose to have another apartment come up right behind them and its suppose to be called the edge I think.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Interesting all warm weather schools. and areas with good populations other than maybe Bama. I think this makes ISUs' growth even more remarkable.

Don't want to be a debbie downer in this thread, but I'd like to see enrollment numbers at schools in general. Student Debt Crisis is a huge thing that will debilitate a lot of these kids enrolling in schools just to go to them, rack up debt, then leave for low income jobs. god I'm that guy now.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Are students able to get into the classes they want/need?

I just graduated in May and that was a huge issue for gen ed classes in my opinion. I couldn't get into any that I wanted. I eventually liked the classes I did get into (like Russian Film Study and Shakespeare) but they weren't my first choices.

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
Son was in Helser two years. Thought about them with the heat last week, the place is sweltering hot. But his best friends are still his Helser buddies, you bond in adversity.

Couldn't agree more. I made some good friends in helser my first year at ISU. Kinda funny they still use it because I remember them saying it was being planned to be torn down my first year at ISU back in 06 but they really had no where else to keep students.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Son's a senior. hasn't had a problem and enrollment going up every year he has been there. An engineering major if that makes a difference. He complains most about slow internet on campus, that they seem to have trouble keeping up.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

I personally haven't had an issue getting into classes. With that said I always sign up as early as I can and rarely do I change what classes I'm taking. Some students have complained about not being able to get into classes, but frankly I don't see that as a major problem at the moment.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Son's a senior. hasn't had a problem and enrollment going up every year he has been there. An engineering major if that makes a difference. He complains most about slow internet on campus, that they seem to have trouble keeping up.

He's not wrong. It's really bad at the library, the one place it needs to be fast.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
He's not wrong. It's really bad at the library, the one place it needs to be fast.

Yeah, howsa guy s'posed to get his midgets and amputees pron fix on if the internet is slow?

(you got to be a pretty specific age range to get that one)

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
I am from Minnesota and went to ISU in the early 1980's. I was accepted at the U of M. The all out-of-state cost was nearly the same or slightly higher than the comparable U of M cost. At that time, it seemed like the State of IA subsidized more of the college cost. I am not sure if that is the case anymore.

I see the same thing happening with my high school senior son. We live in TX and did a tour of former BIG 12 South Schools (including TX A&M). The in-state tuition at the TX schools is reasonable given the high college costs nationwide. Of course, my son decided he wants to go to OK State. He always liked ISU and OSU reminded him of ISU. After our tour of the OSU campus, I thought of OSU as "ISU South". Other parents with kids at OSU stated OSU has a unique financial aid system for TX residents that brings their tuition cost close to TX in state tuition. We shall see.

BTW, I was extremely impressed with the new / renovated football stadiums of the old Big 12 south schools. While I am very happy with the new SEZ, ISU has major competition. During our TX Tech tour early this Summer, the tour guide mentioned their recent renovation of their stadium and that it is the 3rd largest stadium in the Big 12. At that time, he was technically correct. I felt compelled to remind him that ISU would have the 3rd largest stadium capacity after our SEZ upgrade was completed later in the summer. He had a hard time believing that. Another parent on the tour (obviously a TTU Alum) also took exception to my statement. He stated that "There is no way a small school like Iowa State would have a stadium that big!". I told him our enrollment last year was over 34,000 students last year (TTU had over 36,000 students). The tour guide mentioned that he would need to fact check my statements. I find that the TX perception of ISU is that it is a smaller campus.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
[FONT=&quot]I received from Alliance for Iowa State via email today, and I thought it shared some interesting stats.

Demand for a degree at Iowa State University has reached unprecedented levels among Iowans and students all over the world. Iowa State's total enrollment for fall 2015 has climbed to 36,001 making this the seventh year of record enrollment and ninth consecutive year of growth for the state's largest university.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Land Grant Mission[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the last decade, enrollment has increased 40% (25,741 in 2005). As Iowa's only land-grant institution, Iowa State prides itself on providing accessible, high quality education. Sixty percent of the student body is comprised of Iowa students from all 99 counties. Total undergraduate Iowa student enrollment has reached a new record level of 19,285, while total Iowa student enrollment has also reached a record high of 21,064. Students also come from every U.S. state and 118 countries.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Strong Freshman Classes[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Iowa State's freshman class of 6,231 students includes 3,586 Iowans (both records). Iowa State continues its long history of being the number one choice of Iowa high school graduates and Iowa community college transfer students. Iowa State's first-year, full-time student retention rate is 87.4%, well above the national average (78%).
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Inclusive & Diverse[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Iowa State remains attractive to students from outside of Iowa with another record enrollment of nonresident and international undergraduates (11,749). Iowa State's enrollment also set records for U.S. multicultural students (4,325). More than one in five Iowa State students is either a U.S. multicultural student or an international student.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Supportive Culture[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To support the growth of the student body, Iowa State hired 123 new tenured or tenure-track faculty members and leased space for an additional 495 students to live in university housing. The number of students choosing to live with the Department of Residence has increased nearly 60% since 2005 (12,733). More than 70% of first-year students participate in learning communities at Iowa State.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]High Demand Graduates[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Iowa State offers the programs that are driving the economy; demand for degrees in agriculture, biosciences, business, and engineering accounts for the majority of Iowa State's record growth. Nearly 95% of Iowa State graduates are either employed or pursuing further education within six months of graduation.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Alumni Continue Their Adventure in Iowa[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The ISU Alumni Association also reached a milestone: a total of 100,223 alumni now reside in the state. A greater number of Iowa State graduates live in Iowa than graduates from any other institution.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Read more from Iowa State's recent news release.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]President Steven Leath will review university achievements and share his priorities for this academic year at his annual address this evening at 7:00 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Live video streaming of the event will also be available.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Wait what! The return of Windows, or Dungeons?

Windows. It's being renovated and will be similar to Conversations, the smaller and a little more specialized dining area in Oak-Elm now (compared to the larger dining halls of UDCC and Seasons).

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I find it amazing that students pay the high rent for those new apartments on Lincoln Way.

Those prices look very reasonable for a lot of people coming from more expensive areas. I live in a place that is still alright, but a noticeable price increase from Ames that makes me cringe when I pay my rent. My friends here from California and New York have the exact opposite impression. They probably would be shocked at how cheap a place like the Foundry is.

HoibergIsMyHero

Mar 15, 2014
Does anybody have that graph of the state of Iowa showing that most counties' high school students choose Iowa State? I can't find it for the life of me but have seen it in a few threads. I thought Pollard tweeted it too but couldn't find it in his history.

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012
attachment.php

Attachments

• B-jW2lECMAArF-a.jpg
    B-jW2lECMAArF-a.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 423

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I find this interesting because I was at ISU when we crossed over the 10,000 mark with 3:1 male to female students. Girls staying on campus (the overwhelming majority) had hours. Dating was bad but drinking much cheaper when you didn't have to buy for two.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I find this interesting because I was at ISU when we crossed over the 10,000 mark with 3:1 male to female students. Girls staying on campus (the overwhelming majority) had hours. Dating was bad but drinking much cheaper when you didn't have to buy for two.

Is that a self-portrait in your avatar? :jimlad: