36,001 Enrollment at ISU

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Try walking into one of the dining halls around 12:15 during the week and you'll get a better idea.

I cant even imagine. I remember the UDCC being crazy busy 10 years ago, much less now

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
95622.jpg

A_ship_off_the_coast_of_Giardini-Naxos_(4276835717).jpg

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We might need a NEZ.

This actually is an interesting question... have the number of student tickets available increased at all with this increased student body? I dont think it has, maybe we might need to expand the student section at some point.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
What are the faculty growth numbers?

They have been hiring 100-200 new tenured or tenured track faculty per year, this year they hired 123.

source: http://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2015/08/20/facts

[h=3]Students and faculty[/h]
  • About 36,000 students are expected on campus this fall, the seventh year of record enrollment and ninth consecutive year of growth (official enrollment numbers will be available in September)
  • 66 percent of Iowa State classes have 29 or fewer students
  • 5,805 entering students attended orientation in June to help with their transition to college life
  • More than 70 percent of direct-from-high school students are expected to participate in a learning community this fall
  • 34 students is the mean class section size
  • 89 percent of student credit hours are taught by faculty
  • 123 new tenured or tenure-track faculty will join Iowa State this fall
  • 4,729 undergraduate class sections are scheduled for fall 2015, an increase of 63 from fall 2014; 329 from fall 2013; and 655 from 2012

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Is there anywhere to see that 40% growth over the last decade compared to any other school in the country? I think that has to be one of the best growths in the country right? For a state school.

Percentage wise maybe not as much. This one comes to mind though:

UCF-Historical-Headcount.png

Looking around a bit

Arizona State has gone from about 61k to 82k

Alabama has had a rise from about 21k 10 years ago to 36k last fall.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
This actually is an interesting question... have the number of student tickets available increased at all with this increased student body? I dont think it has, maybe we might need to expand the student section at some point.

I haven't heard about any increases lately. If a student misses out on a student ticket, they can still get a hillside. Is it still easy to sneak in to the student section with a hillside ticket? If not they can still sit (stand) in the NE hillside next to the section. If we were to start having winning seasons and the rest of the stadium is selling out (or close to it), I don't know if JP would want to give up the revenue. Maybe if the student section was moved, but I don't think that will happen either.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I haven't heard about any increases lately. If a student misses out on a student ticket, they can still get a hillside. Is it still easy to sneak in to the student section with a hillside ticket? If not they can still sit (stand) in the NE hillside next to the section. If we were to start having winning seasons and the rest of the stadium is selling out (or close to it), I don't know if JP would want to give up the revenue. Maybe if the student section was moved, but I don't think that will happen either.

I wonder what the cost would be of expanding the existing decks over the north hillsides. The new seating in the former NE hillside could be a student section expansion and the former NW corner could be general seating. This would be years away if it happened at all.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

Im guessing they wil just make the NE hillside a student section hillside eventually. Clone zone on the NW hill.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

The hillsides are now jr cyclone club seating sections though so students couldnt buy those.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
The hillsides are now jr cyclone club seating sections though so students couldnt buy those.

That might explain why there is some room in the student section now. Lots of d*****bags bought hillsides and just came in the student section in the past. Can't do it anymore.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Percentage wise maybe not as much. This one comes to mind though:

UCF-Historical-Headcount.png

Looking around a bit

Arizona State has gone from about 61k to 82k

Alabama has had a rise from about 21k 10 years ago to 36k last fall.

Arizona State however is 4 campuses (Tempe (the main one), Downtown Pheonix, Glendale and Lake Havasu). My step-daughter's original major was at the Dowtown PHX campus which had 2 dorms and I think buildings that housed 5 or 6 different majors. I was surprised by how big it was. Her current major is on the main Tempe campus, but the campus itself didn't seem that large. I think ASU has a large commuter student body.

Last edited:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Arizona State however is 4 campuses (Tempe (the main one), Downtown Pheonix, Glendale and Lake Havasu). My step-daughter's original major was at the Dowtown PHX campus which had 2 dorms and I think buildings that housed 5 or 6 different majors. I was surprised by how big it was. Her current major is on the main Tempe campus, but the campus itself didn't seem that large. I think ASU has a large commuter student body.

I think UCF, the graphed school, is the same way.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I wonder what the cost would be of expanding the existing decks over the north hillsides. The new seating in the former NE hillside could be a student section expansion and the former NW corner could be general seating. This would be years away if it happened at all.

I would think they wouldn't do anything to the NEZ until they are ready to get rid of the Jacobsen building/remodel it. I think it would be hard to expand JUST over the hillsides.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
We might need a NEZ.

Some semi-truth in that.

In the context of past attendance figures (as a kid I can recall mid 30s being common) it is impressive to get 60k+ without really any recent success on the field. But in the context of demographic change it is not really that far off from expected IMO. The attendance of the 70's-90s was still a resultant from Iowa State College and a much smaller Iowa State greater community, in addition to some lousy FB and MBB. Move ahead to now and you get bump from both a couple generations removed from when ISU was a smaller university in addition to some MBB and football success. Even better the growth of the fanbase is not linear. The growth in the newest generation is larger than the Iowa State College alums they are replacing.

The fundamentals are there. If we ever have 5-10 years of FB success similar to what we have had the in MBB, I think many would be surprised at the size ISU's potential. If somehow we would have hired Synder we would already have NEZ.

Last edited:

Hoiball92

Apr 23, 2015
Des Moines
That might explain why there is some room in the student section now. Lots of d*****bags bought hillsides and just came in the student section in the past. Can't do it anymore.
I do that. I have a JCC and I just go to the student section.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Some semi-truth in that.

In the context of past attendance figures (as a kid I can recall mid 30s being common) it is impressive to get 60k+ without really any recent success on the field. But in the context of demographic change it is not really that far off from expected IMO. The attendance of the 70's-90s was still a resultant from Iowa State College and a much smaller Iowa State greater community, in addition to some lousy FB and MBB. Move ahead to now and you get bump from both a couple generations removed from when ISU was a smaller university in addition to some MBB and football success. Even better the growth of the fanbase is not linear. The growth in the newest generation is larger than the Iowa State College alums they are replacing.

The fundamentals are there. If we ever have 5-10 years of FB success similar to what we have had the in MBB, I think many would be surprised at the size ISU's potential. If somehow we would have hired Synder we would already have NEZ.

In what world would we have hired Snyder?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron