***#5 Iowa State at #18 Northern Iowa (Friday, 7:00)***

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Signaled PD

But what did he call after the review? Did he stay with the PD? Or change to inadvantant whistle?

I'm not asking what was right. I just want to be clear on what the ref actually said after the review.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I asked Dresser if Schwab was challenging exposure or takedown and he said everything.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
So, what was the official call? Did the ref call PD? Or did he claim it was an inadvertant whistle?
He pretty clearly signaled PD during the match. Whatever he said after the review was just justification after the fact. Pretty sure he went to the second official and set “ I f’ed up, what can I call”

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
He pretty clearly signaled PD during the match. Whatever he said after the review was just justification after the fact. Pretty sure he went to the second official and set “ I f’ed up, what can I call”

That's what seemed like happened. Did the ref actually announce a change to "inadvertant whistle?" I don't recall hearing an explanation at the meet.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
That's what seemed like happened. Did the ref actually announce a change to "inadvertant whistle?" I don't recall hearing an explanation at the meet.
I don’t think it was announced. But going by what was said afterwords, I think he might have told Schwab that.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Nothing was announced just talked to Schwab and then quickly to Dresser . Pretty sure you can’t overturn a pd but possibly could have awarded a td

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Weird was told we didnt matter in wrestling to them. Why would they care if that was the case?
Iowa wrestling "fans" pay attention three times a year. Against us so they can brag about the streak, against PSU so they can whine about losing to Cael again, and at Nationals because they are consistently top 3 and can cry about freak losses or something. That program irritates the heck out of me.

• Winner
Reactions: cyguy9320

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Iowa wrestling "fans" pay attention three times a year. Against us so they can brag about the streak, against PSU so they can whine about losing to Cael again, and at Nationals because they are consistently top 3 and can cry about freak losses or something. That program irritates the heck out of me.
There is nobody worse in the College wrestling world than the coaches and fans in Iowa City.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
There is nobody worse in the College wrestling world than the coaches and fans in Iowa City.
It perpetuates the stereotype of andro wrestlers, coaches, and fans. Every time they get air time the sport marches backwards, that's what really gets me.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
FloWrestling Radio Live - Videos - FloWrestling

Flo wrestling was talking about the Winn Dixie in Gunderson vs Bastida match. At about the 46 minute mark.
I am trying to figure out if Gunderson had Bastida controlled good enough to get back points. Seems like Bastida could of turned off his back.
I haven't listened to Flowrestling Radio yet but I plan too.

Another interesting thing was that when the ref blew the whistle Gunderson's legs were squeezing Bastida's head and there was clearly no arm in there. On the advice of my best friend Crabby I googled "Winn Dixie" and saw a ton of Jason Nolf doing this move. Every video I saw Jason kept the Head & Arm both trapped.

My final "nonsense" piece of information is this pic: 1644952837795.png
According to twitter world this is a Head Scissors and illegal. I'm not saying I agree with the rules but IF so then the correct action was made to stop the match. However, if that's the case then you could argue the ref screwed up by not awarding Bastida a point (similar scenario as someone putting in a full nelson for a split second... match gets stopped and a penalty point gets awarded.) Gunderson got lucky I guess you could say :)

Attachments

• 1644952580350.png
    1644952580350.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I haven't listened to Flowrestling Radio yet but I plan too.

Another interesting thing was that when the ref blew the whistle Gunderson's legs were squeezing Bastida's head and there was clearly no arm in there. On the advice of my best friend Crabby I googled "Winn Dixie" and saw a ton of Jason Nolf doing this move. Every video I saw Jason kept the Head & Arm both trapped.

My final "nonsense" piece of information is this pic: View attachment 95648
According to twitter world this is a Head Scissors and illegal. I'm not saying I agree with the rules but IF so then the correct action was made to stop the match. However, if that's the case then you could argue the ref screwed up by not awarding Bastida a point (similar scenario as someone putting in a full nelson for a split second... match gets stopped and a penalty point gets awarded.) Gunderson got lucky I guess you could say :)
To me that is a scissors but not illegal because it looks to be bastida's arm in with the head. I can't really tell on this picture.