~8/8 Weather Thread~

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
Great lightning show and very loud thunder here in West Des Moines. Listening to my scanner, the metro fire departments are busy with false alarms from this weather. As I am typing this, a big bolt came down not far from me and put out all the street lights on the block because it was so bright!

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Round 2 is here and alive in Des Moines. I'm going to try to sleep on this one. See you guys in the morning.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Got nearly 4.5" in my rain gauge overnight in the Beaverdale area. Checked my basement and sump pump around 2am and it could barely get a rest for 10 seconds at times as quick as the pit refilled. The floor drain is just a couple feet from the pit thankfully but I am tempted to look into a battery backup option just in case I ever lost power for extended time. Have some seeping water in parts of the floor so would hate to think what it would be like if I didn't have the sump we installed this spring. Lot of lightning, some must have been pretty close as a few rumbles shook the house. I'm in the middle of a basement remodel project so the wife and I didn't sleep too good last night wondering if that would get wet but luckily none of the drywall was touched and I'm resigned to the fact there isn't much I can do in a 1956 house when you get 4.5" of rain in 3 hours to stop a little water seeping from the floor.

Could be worse, a co-worker is out today with standing water, my boss has 2 sump pits and has standing water and showed me a video of water running in pretty good through the foundation walls.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
In Ames, we got 4.6" of rain in our gauge, and less than 3 hours of sleep last night. At least 3 separate downpours which led to overflowing gutters and rain coming in a basement window. Our sump pump worked without a break for a long time. Early on it tripped the circuit breaker several times. Our electricity remained on, thank goodness. Otherwise I would probably be home going nuts with all the water we would have still had in the basement -- finished room, no less.

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
Had about 4.5" of rain in Ames. My basement carpet is wet, but it never has been before so I have no idea where it came in at.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm REALLY glad I checked my gutters and put the extra 10 feet of extensions on them when I got home last night. Water table is so high can't do anything about the floor seeping but with that much rain keeping as much of the runoff away from the house as possible probably helped more than I know. Have had to build up one of the window sills last year after I found water running into it and haven't had that problem since then thankfully.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Had about 4.5" of rain in Ames. My basement carpet is wet, but it never has been before so I have no idea where it came in at.

Guessing the floor. Water takes the path of least resistance so all you need is a pinhole leak somewhere when the ground gets that saturated.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
Got nearly 4.5" in my rain gauge overnight in the Beaverdale area. Checked my basement and sump pump around 2am and it could barely get a rest for 10 seconds at times as quick as the pit refilled. The floor drain is just a couple feet from the pit thankfully but I am tempted to look into a battery backup option just in case I ever lost power for extended time. Have some seeping water in parts of the floor so would hate to think what it would be like if I didn't have the sump we installed this spring. Lot of lightning, some must have been pretty close as a few rumbles shook the house. I'm in the middle of a basement remodel project so the wife and I didn't sleep too good last night wondering if that would get wet but luckily none of the drywall was touched and I'm resigned to the fact there isn't much I can do in a 1956 house when you get 4.5" of rain in 3 hours to stop a little water seeping from the floor.

Could be worse, a co-worker is out today with standing water, my boss has 2 sump pits and has standing water and showed me a video of water running in pretty good through the foundation walls.

Ha, you saying that just made me feel a ton better about my situation. I just bought a house (moved in Thursday) and woke up to a very small amount of water in the basement even with my sump pump. The house was built around the same time as yours. I was a little worried that I just bought a house with a leaky basement. You're right, it could be much worse.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Once again the storm got weaker as it headed towards my town. I love storms, but as a owner of an old house, I don't mind so much when they don't hit directly.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Ha, you saying that just made me feel a ton better about my situation. I just bought a house (moved in Thursday) and woke up to a very small amount of water in the basement even with my sump pump. The house was built around the same time as yours. I was a little worried that I just bought a house with a leaky basement. You're right, it could be much worse.

Not much you can do about older basements. Just make sure your sump pump is in working order and anywhere outside you can build up around the house and help the runoff go away from the foundation is about all you can do. Only other option is to gut everything downstairs and have someone come in and professionally water proof it but that can cost you as much as $5000+ depending on the size of basement and extent of the work that needs to be done.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron