A lot of good things yesterday

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I like Petey...I think he gives about what we expected out of him.

But if we got Lucca back and that lineup included him instead of Petey...I'd probably wet myself.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
When Jiri was out at the beginning of the season, the guys would sometimes practice with what I thought was a really interesting line-up:

1. DG
2. Petey
3. Wes
4. Rahshon
5. Craig

Rahshon had his best season ever when he played the four, so we know he can. He is better around the basket than out at the wing. That way we have Wes and Petey as our main shooters and DG running the point. Craig needs to get more physical inside, but I think it could be interesting to see this line-up every once-in-awhile.

That would be interesting, but our rebounding already is less than stellar as a team, and this lineup is not very physical.

You are right in saying that Rahshon had his best season at the four spot, but that was when he had two pretty good guards getting him the ball where he could be most successful. We don't have that now. Plus, he got lots of steals and dunks off the press and breaks, which our team is not built for.

Plus, he is shooting the ball pretty well right now from the wing!

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
1. DG
2. Petey
3. Wes
4. Rahshon
5. Craig

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to try Lucca in spot #2 as well....hope we get to see it.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
That would be interesting, but our rebounding already is less than stellar as a team, and this lineup is not very physical.

You are right in saying that Rahshon had his best season at the four spot, but that was when he had two pretty good guards getting him the ball where he could be most successful. We don't have that now. Plus, he got lots of steals and dunks off the press and breaks, which our team is not built for.

Plus, he is shooting the ball pretty well right now from the wing!

It is true our guards were a lot better than, but most of Rahshon's points came off of offensive rebounds. That's what he's best at. His shooting is ok this season, but I still think would be more productive inside.

I think one of the reason's we are having a problem rebounding this year is that we have two of our best rebounders (Wes and Rahshon) all the way out at the wings. This definitely isn't helping our rebounding numbers!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think one of the reason's we are having a problem rebounding this year is that we have two of our best rebounders (Wes and Rahshon) all the way out at the wings. This definitely isn't helping our rebounding numbers!

This I agree with 100%. I don't think Clark would be as productive this year inside as he was in the past because of the guard play as previously noted...

But our rebounding is taking a hit because these two are outside, no question.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
It is true our guards were a lot better than, but most of Rahshon's points came off of offensive rebounds. That's what he's best at. His shooting is ok this season, but I still think would be more productive inside.

Good points. You know your stuff (for a chick). Kidding! Can you take Rahshon one on one, too?:smile:

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Good points. You know your stuff (for a chick). Kidding! Can you take Rahshon one on one, too?:smile:

Of course! Just ask him...I beat him at the rec a couple of times! Ok, well maybe not in an acutal game, but I did beat him at H-O-R-S-E! :biggrin:

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Of course! Just ask him...I beat him at the rec a couple of times! Ok, well maybe not in an acutal game, but I did beat him at H-O-R-S-E! :biggrin:

assuming dunks were not allowed in that game!!
unless you have the 'headscratcher' in your bag-o-tricks.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Maybe some of us just want to enjoy watching the team, be positive, and be hopeful. There is nothing to be done about the team this year and everybody here knows this. The only thing that can improve this team is guys getting healthy and Lucca being declared eligible. Some of us choose to not dominate every freaking thread with "woe is me" bullcrap. I get a little tired of your constant negativism. Trust me, every thread I start in the MBB section the rest of the year I'll try to have a little "#1" section for you where I'll list the things you'll say.

1. You're tired of us talking about waiting until next year.
2. We need to recruit better talent to be a regular NCAA tournament contender.
3. The coaches need to try and win NOW (always in caps).

I don't call people out much. But you make talking about the team in any way almost impossible because you end up flooding every thread with posts about how this program is disappointing. We know what you think, you've said it 8 million times now. And as I've said before, nobody likes waiting until next year. And unlike you who tries to catch games when you get the chance, there are lot of us go spend our time and money to go to all of the games we can. Trust me, I'd rather not drop what is probably thousands of dollars on Cyclone Football and Basketball each year to watch sub .500 teams. NOBODY LIKES WAITING FOR NEXT YEAR.

I think you need to go back and look at my posts...I don't believe I have "flooded every thread with posts about how disappointing the program is" as you state.

I just tire of the eagerness some have to try and heap praise on certain kids when they show a glimmer of hope (even against inferior talent like B-C). I have seen enough from Cory Johnson to believe he is not a legitimate contributor to a Big 12 caliber team. I am dubious as to the abilities of Boozer, Haluska, and Peterson. And, frankly, I did not understand the hysteria some had last summer when Vette decided to change from Indiana St. to Iowa St. Likewise, I am dubious of our "superstar" recruits from places like Rock Valley, IA and Fremont NE. I'm not knocking these kids from a personal standpoint...I'm sure they are probably great kids...but I want us to have great kids THAT CAN PLAY COMPETITIVE BIG 12 BASKETBALL! We need more kids like Wesley Johnson, Craig Brackins, and Lucca (assuming he is as good as billed)...that's all I'm trying to say.

As for your cheap shot about how many ISU games I am able to see...I will remind you that I live a couple of thousand miles away from Ames. While I attended ISU (and for the brief period I lived in Iowa after graduating) I never missed a single home FB or BB game...often having to drive over 150 miles during breaks to get back for the games (300+ mile one day round-trip). I also attended many away games during those years (never missing a game vs. Iowa for example)...never missing a single Big 8 Tournament or NCAA Tournament game. When I lived in Florida I traveled to see ISU BB in the NCAAs in Atlanta (vs. UCLA) and I traveled to see ISU FB in New Orleans (vs. Tulane). When I lived in Texas I went to every FB and BB game we played at UT, A&M, and Baylor (some BB games were on weekdays) as well as attending NCAA Tournament games in both Dallas and San Antonio. Now living in Louisiana I have seen ISU BB play in New Orleans and I have been to the Independence Bowl twice. I did boycott the Houston Bowl because I believed the McCarney era needed to end. And finally, I do donate money to ISU realizing that I am not going to get the ticket and parking benefits that those of you who are lucky enough to be close enough to attend the games get. You can challenge my thoughts but don't challenge my loyalty and love for the Cyclones!

necromancy

Sep 11, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
I just tire of the eagerness some have to try and heap praise on certain kids when they show a glimmer of hope (even against inferior talent like B-C). I have seen enough from Cory Johnson to believe he is not a legitimate contributor to a Big 12 caliber team. I am dubious as to the abilities of Boozer, Haluska, and Peterson. And, frankly, I did not understand the hysteria some had last summer when Vette decided to change from Indiana St. to Iowa St. Likewise, I am dubious of our "superstar" recruits from places like Rock Valley, IA and Fremont NE. I'm not knocking these kids from a personal standpoint...I'm sure they are probably great kids...but I want us to have great kids THAT CAN PLAY COMPETITIVE BIG 12 BASKETBALL! We need more kids like Wesley Johnson, Craig Brackins, and Lucca (assuming he is as good as billed)...that's all I'm trying to say.

I'm sorry that you "tire" of fans getting excited about players "showing a glimmer of hope". That is a really sad statement about you.

With respect to CJ, I believe you are flat out wrong. He already is a "a legitimate contributor to a Big 12 caliber team." He doesn't have the natural athletic skills of Brackins, Clark, or Johnson, but there are many examples of players who don't have the athletic skills but are still outstanding players.

Lastly, your claim that you are "not knocking these kids from a personal standpoint" is incorrect. Their lives pretty much revolve around basketball, so when you publicly discredit their basketball worthiness, you are really taking a direct, personal hit at them.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
As for your cheap shot about how many ISU games I am able to see...I will remind you that I live a couple of thousand miles away from Ames. While I attended ISU (and for the brief period I lived in Iowa after graduating) I never missed a single home FB or BB game...often having to drive over 150 miles during breaks to get back for the games (300+ mile one day round-trip). I also attended many away games during those years (never missing a game vs. Iowa for example)...never missing a single Big 8 Tournament or NCAA Tournament game. When I lived in Florida I traveled to see ISU BB in the NCAAs in Atlanta (vs. UCLA) and I traveled to see ISU FB in New Orleans (vs. Tulane). When I lived in Texas I went to every FB and BB game we played at UT, A&M, and Baylor (some BB games were on weekdays) as well as attending NCAA Tournament games in both Dallas and San Antonio. Now living in Louisiana I have seen ISU BB play in New Orleans and I have been to the Independence Bowl twice. I did boycott the Houston Bowl because I believed the McCarney era needed to end. And finally, I do donate money to ISU realizing that I am not going to get the ticket and parking benefits that those of you who are lucky enough to be close enough to attend the games get. You can challenge my thoughts but don't challenge my loyalty and love for the Cyclones!

It's fantastic you've been to all those games and still donate money.

I didn't see anyone take a cheap shot at you for not attending games these days.

What some of us (myself included) are stating...is we've been watching this team play all season. You, have not. In fact I don't know if you've watched one single game - I can't recall if you said anything about seeing the Oregon State or Iowa games. That's an observation/question, mind you. No cheap shot.

So, when it comes to fan evaluation of this basketball team - I'm going with the guys that are able to see them play.

No knock or cheap shot - just a fact.

Last edited:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
It's fantastic you've been to all those games and still donate money.

I didn't see anyone take a cheap shot at you for not attending games these days.

What some of us (myself included) are stating...is we've been watching this team play all season. You, have not. In fact I don't know if you've watched one single game - I can't recall if you said anything about seeing the Oregon State or Iowa games. That's an observation/question, mind you. No cheap shot.

So, when it comes to fan evaluation of this basketball team - I'm going with the guys that are able to see them play.

No knock or cheap shot - just a fact.

This was the direct quote I was responding to:

"I don't call people out much. But you make talking about the team in any way almost impossible because you end up flooding every thread with posts about how this program is disappointing. We know what you think, you've said it 8 million times now. And as I've said before, nobody likes waiting until next year. And unlike you who tries to catch games when you get the chance, there are lot of us go spend our time and money to go to all of the games we can. Trust me, I'd rather not drop what is probably thousands of dollars on Cyclone Football and Basketball each year to watch sub .500 teams."

The insinuations are clear...we go to all the games we can and you don't...we spend our money to support the Cyclones and you don't...we support the Cyclones and you don't.

I have never tried to hide the fact that I do not get to see the Cyclones as often as I would like...but I do see them whenever I can (like the Oregon St. game this year).

The beauty of my perspective is that I typically don't see the games against inferior talent (like the B-C game) where you buy the "fools gold" that a kid like Cory Johnson is a player. I will see him against UT and KU where he will be out of his league.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Pretty much everyone on our team is out of their league against KU and Texas right now.

And I didn't see nasty insinuations there - I saw facts. We're attending/watching games, you're not. We're well aware you're in a location that makes it impossible for you, but that's not our fault and we certainly won't feel guilty for reminding you we get to see this team each and every game - therefore have a much better handle on their play than someone that almost never gets to see them.

You complain about the cheap shots directed at you and then toss out stuff like fools gold. Gotta love hypocrisy.

Carry on...I'm outta here.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The beauty of my perspective is that I typically don't see the games against inferior talent (like the B-C game) where you buy the "fools gold" that a kid like Cory Johnson is a player. I will see him against UT and KU where he will be out of his league.

Cory Johnsom reminds me an awful lot of a player that Johnny had in the eighties. I'm drawing a total blank on his name, which is strange because I knew him from campus activities, and played ball with him a couple of times.

Anyway, he transferred from Illinois, and rather than redshirting, decided to play when he became eligible at semester break. Unfortunate, because he was trying to play inside, and just wasn't an impact player at 6-7.

In the off season, he spent a lot of time running and conditioning, dropped twenty pounds, and played on the wing his senior season. I still remember some soaring dunks and three pointers. It's too bad he didn't have another year of eligibilty, the last I heard, he was playing professionally in Australia.

Anyway, I think that Cory could be successful following the same route. He's a good athlete, but would gain some spring if he shed some weight. And for those of you who don't like him--I think that Clinton Mann is more of the same.

And doggone it, what was my old friend's name? I turn 47 tomorrow, obviously I'm getting old. :confused:

necromancy

Sep 11, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
You are a piece of work. Actually, by your standards, I don't think we have any players on our team. We won't until we have the #1 through #5 best players in the country. And until then, we'll have to suffer through your derogatory, negative posts about our current players.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Cory Johnsom reminds me an awful lot of a player that Johnny had in the eighties. I'm drawing a total blank on his name, which is strange because I knew him from campus activities, and played ball with him a couple of times.

Anyway, he transferred from Illinois, and rather than redshirting, decided to play when he became eligible at semester break. Unfortunate, because he was trying to play inside, and just wasn't an impact player at 6-7.

In the off season, he spent a lot of time running and conditioning, dropped twenty pounds, and played on the wing his senior season. I still remember some soaring dunks and three pointers. It's too bad he didn't have another year of eligibilty, the last I heard, he was playing professionally in Australia.

Anyway, I think that Cory could be successful following the same route. He's a good athlete, but would gain some spring if he shed some weight. And for those of you who don't like him--I think that Clinton Mann is more of the same.

And doggone it, what was my old friend's name? I turn 47 tomorrow, obviously I'm getting old. :confused:

Tom Schafer was his name. Cory doesn't remind me of him but that is an interesting thought.

Interesting tid-bit...my wife dated him for a while before she found me!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
You are a piece of work. Actually, by your standards, I don't think we have any players on our team. We won't until we have the #1 through #5 best players in the country. And until then, we'll have to suffer through your derogatory, negative posts about our current players.

Where the heck is Prole, IA?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron