A lot of good things yesterday

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
But anyways, the basketball game.

Our offense isn't built to blow anyone out. The biggest thing I noticed was that Petey and Garrett had a bit more of a transition pace when the opportunity presented itself. We can't pigeonhole ourselves out of the transition game completely, and we got some nice buckets last night by running the floor, if even just a little.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
I wasn't talking about her. That was made in response to someone else. She hasn't degraded anyone, I just don't agree that CJ is a better option than AT at the 5.

And how was I dragging Clark into anything? Did you actually read what I wrote, the part where I said how much he meant to the program?

I realize you weren't talking to me when you responded, you were responding to the other guy who was talking trash in the earlier comment.

But in regards to AT...I do understand that in some cases numbers don't tell the whole story, but AT just isn't one of them. He doesn't provide anything on the court that CJ doesn't. I honestly don't think either of them are good options for the 5, but if I had to choose who I would rather have on the floor (at the 5 or the 4) it would be CJ. When we take Jiri out we could move Craig to the 5 and put CJ in as the 4...just my opinion

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Apparently you seem to think I have yet to finish my Hooked on Phonics course or something. :wink:

I know where the larger issue you had there is. I also know you're taking issue with more than one person on this thread - someone far more educated about this team than you or I.

This just in...

We won last night!

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
And I apologize Cyfan13, I was kind of a jerk with my replies, I was just a little on edge from some in this thread and a similar thread on CR. Sometimes I get a little carried away feeling like I always have to defend certain players who seem to be the subject of constant berating, you definitely were not doing that, and I apologize.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I realize you weren't talking to me when you responded, you were responding to the other guy who was talking trash in the earlier comment.

But in regards to AT...I do understand that in some cases numbers don't tell the whole story, but AT just isn't one of them. He doesn't provide anything on the court that CJ doesn't. I honestly don't think either of them are good options for the 5, but if I had to choose who I would rather have on the floor (at the 5 or the 4) it would be CJ. When we take Jiri out we could move Craig to the 5 and put CJ in as the 4...just my opinion

What about moving Jiri to the 2...or even the 1? I mean...the guy does seem to like to play it a lot.

I liken him to a cat that tries to behave like a dog. Sorry cat, you may think and act like a dog, but at the end of the day - you're still a cat.

*said with best accent*

I'm a guard trapped in a center's body! :cry:

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
What about moving Jiri to the 2...or even the 1? I mean...the guy does seem to like to play it a lot.

I liken him to a cat that tries to behave like a dog. Sorry cat, you may think and act like a dog, but at the end of the day - you're still a cat.

*said with best accent*

Jiri would LOVE to play the 2! haha...You know those 7 foot Europeans like to play out on the wing!

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

*said with best accent*

Have you noticed how if Jiri and whoever is playing PG are in the back-court together with no defenders and Jiri has the ball, he will always dribble a couple times then pass off? No harm done really, but still kinda funny if you pay attention for it.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think snowcraig2.0 is officially the 'big brother' for all Iowa Born players... :wink:

p.s. I'm just kidding so don't jump my case or neg rep me...

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Somehow, before Big 12 play starts, I really hope JH can re-capture or re-orient himself to how he was playing at the end of last season. ISU really needs to him to be an anchor in the post.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
But anyways, the basketball game.

Our offense isn't built to blow anyone out. The biggest thing I noticed was that Petey and Garrett had a bit more of a transition pace when the opportunity presented itself. We can't pigeonhole ourselves out of the transition game completely, and we got some nice buckets last night by running the floor, if even just a little.

I agree with this. I think we can pick our spots and run a little to get some easy shots, as well as press a little to change things up to maybe create some easy baskets.

I know we got in a little trouble pressing at times last night, but small doses of it can result in some Rahshon thunder dunks, which then result in Hilton Magic coming on full force!

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
And I apologize Cyfan13, I was kind of a jerk with my replies, I was just a little on edge from some in this thread and a similar thread on CR. Sometimes I get a little carried away feeling like I always have to defend certain players who seem to be the subject of constant berating, you definitely were not doing that, and I apologize.

No big deal. We all have our own opinions and that's the point of this site. To state your opinion and to hear what others think. I was just stating my opinion from what I know and you were stating yours...no harm done!

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I think the debate between CJ and AT comes down to this: there will be situations where one is a better option than the other. Some teams will simply be too big for CJ to be successful. In this case, I would throw AT in there for a while. When a team is playing a shorter lineup (like last night), CJ's offensive abilities would get him the nod.

It's nice to have the depth, since neither guy is ideal in every situation.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
I think the debate between CJ and AT comes down to this: there will be situations where one is a better option than the other. Some teams will simply be too big for CJ to be successful. In this case, I would throw AT in there for a while. When a team is playing a shorter lineup (like last night), CJ's offensive abilities would get him the nod.

Good post.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Somehow, before Big 12 play starts, I really hope JH can re-capture or re-orient himself to how he was playing at the end of last season. ISU really needs to him to be an anchor in the post.

I would like it. Maybe he needs to get smacked in the mouth again - literally. No, I'm not talking about someone flat out hitting him. He just seems to wake up when someone beats on him a bit.

The guy has the abilities to be physical. IMO, he just plays physical when he wants to.

I saw some great post moves and solid rebounding out of him the 2nd half of last season - the NDSU and Mizzou games being the first - even with that important air-balled free-throw against Mizzu.

In the last two games though, Jiri has scored a total of 25 points (15 and 12), 14 rebounds (6 and 8) and is shooting just over 56%. All this in just 39 combined minutes (23 and 16).

He's also 2 for 2 from 3-point land in those games. :confused:

So, while he has started slow this season, that's been his shtick his entire career it seems and it looks like he's starting to wake up, around the same time he did last year.

I'd love to see another double-double from him against NDSU in few weeks just like he had against them last season.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Right...Greg uses his players like this often.

I remember last year many were perplexed with how in some games CJ would see only the bench and in others - he saw a lot of time.

Different teams, different schemes, different game plan.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Something else about Jiri, he seems to struggle a little against players smaller than him. Sounds weird, but there is a whole different trick involved in getting position on a guy who can get his hip underneath yours to move you off the block.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It's just hard to defend those guys, Greg mentioned it in his postgame. That's one thing that CJ does a great job of - defending the smaller "post players" - including on the dribble. Jiri and Alex can't give us that.

CJ's increased time and production last night directly related to Bethune-Cookman playing with a smaller lineup.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Well for that, Jiri needs to get back to his post moves - we know he's got 'em - we saw 'em last year - against some good competition too. Where's the little hook shot you've used so well in the past Jiri?

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
When Jiri was out at the beginning of the season, the guys would sometimes practice with what I thought was a really interesting line-up:

1. DG
2. Petey
3. Wes
4. Rahshon
5. Craig

Rahshon had his best season ever when he played the four, so we know he can. He is better around the basket than out at the wing. That way we have Wes and Petey as our main shooters and DG running the point. Craig needs to get more physical inside, but I think it could be interesting to see this line-up every once-in-awhile.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron