A lot of good things yesterday

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
We're averaging 7 turnovers in the last two games and our starting point guard has 0 in the last two games. I'll take that no matter what the competition.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Re: cory looked just fine when

he was whipping Oden from Ohio State last yr. CJ is a player that is 10x better when he plays in long stretches, this year, except mon night, he is in only a few minutes here n there.

:biglaugh:

Thanks for the laugh.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I'm glad you all can find so many negatives in a win. The team did what they wanted to do, its not like it is an easy game to get up for, there was a week layoff. We are starting to see what this team is about and it is developing a personality. Not everyone is going to play good every night and there will be players every night that step up and take advantage of what is given and miss-matches.

A win is a win and this team needed this win. We could have won by 40 but Mac called the dogs off with 10 mins left in the game. Heck in the end they could have been have won by 30 easily with the bench players. What did you want them to do score 100 and win by 80, would you be happy then. I guess some of you will never be happy.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I'm glad you all can find so many negatives in a win. The team did what they wanted to do, its not like it is an easy game to get up for, there was a week layoff. We are starting to see what this team is about and it is developing a personality. Not everyone is going to play good every night and there will be players every night that step up and take advantage of what is given and miss-matches.

A win is a win and this team needed this win. We could have won by 40 but Mac called the dogs off with 10 mins left in the game. Heck in the end they could have been have won by 30 easily with the bench players. What did you want them to do score 100 and win by 80, would you be happy then. I guess some of you will never be happy.

You're exactly right! Hey, I think we should switch from the Big 12 Conference to the Mid-Eastern Conference...I think we would be competing for the Conference Championship this year (assuming we could get by Hampton). Heck, C. Johnson would probably have chance to be an All-Conference performer.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm gonna value the opinion of members that watched the team play last night and most other games so far - over those that have only had one or two opportunities to watch 'em play this year.

MJAnderson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2007
You're exactly right! Hey, I think we should switch from the Big 12 Conference to the Mid-Eastern Conference...I think we would be competing for the Conference Championship this year (assuming we could get by Hampton). Heck, C. Johnson would probably have chance to be an All-Conference performer.

I think you should switch to a UNC or Kansas fan if your not happy with our team. I don't know why you're even a fan if you can't enjoy cheering for them? We are what we are, if you think you could do a better job coaching you should contact Pollard. [email protected]

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I think you should switch to a UNC or Kansas fan if your not happy with our team. I don't know why you're even a fan if you can't enjoy cheering for them? We are what we are, if you think you could do a better job coaching you should contact Pollard. [email protected]

So, as a Cyclone fan, I am supposed to be happy with the current state of mediocrity (at best) that our program is in? Excuse me for believing that ISU BB should be a regular in the NCAA Tournament!

What makes you think I don't enjoy cheering for our team? What exactly "are we" according to you?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Nobody said you should be happy about it. Not turning every basketball thread into a complaining about the program thread would be nice though.

We are a program in transition right now.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Wesley Johnson didn't have great lateral movement on defense before his injury. I wonder how much of what we are seeing now is injury related and how much is him still learning how to play perimeter defense.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Nobody said you should be happy about it. Not turning every basketball thread into a complaining about the program thread would be nice though.

We are a program in transition right now.

Actually, MJAnderson did say I should be happy with our team or switch loyalties to KU or UNC!

I just get a little tired of the euphoria that comes over some when a marginal player like C. Johnson has a decent game against the likes of a Bethune-Cookman.

You are certainly right about being in transition...maybe we should change our name from the "Cyclones" to the "Wait 'til Next Years".

lomashad

Oct 19, 2006
I personally liked the 3 quarters court press. I know they gave a few baskets, but it was the first time the really used it this year.

I agree! It's a different look and really forces teams to chew the shot clock down for hurried shot selection! We have the depth to do it this year!

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
"You are certainly right about being in transition...maybe we should change our name from the "Cyclones" to the "Wait 'til Next Years"."

If your goal is the NCAA, you're right, next year....hopefully. But some people actually enjoy seeing improvement in our team...even if we aren't tournament bound.
It may be a while before we're in the NCAA's every single season...so some patience is required until we get there. People may choose to focus on the baby steps we make along the way, as I do....others choose to complain through the whole trip....but, its gonna be a long car ride and no-- we're not there yet.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
A lot of decent stats and position breakdowns on this thread, but it was Bethune Cookman. Undersized and outmaned by basically everyone they have played.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Actually, MJAnderson did say I should be happy with our team or switch loyalties to KU or UNC!

I just get a little tired of the euphoria that comes over some when a marginal player like C. Johnson has a decent game against the likes of a Bethune-Cookman.

You are certainly right about being in transition...maybe we should change our name from the "Cyclones" to the "Wait 'til Next Years".

Maybe some of us just want to enjoy watching the team, be positive, and be hopeful. There is nothing to be done about the team this year and everybody here knows this. The only thing that can improve this team is guys getting healthy and Lucca being declared eligible. Some of us choose to not dominate every freaking thread with "woe is me" bullcrap. I get a little tired of your constant negativism. Trust me, every thread I start in the MBB section the rest of the year I'll try to have a little "#1" section for you where I'll list the things you'll say.

1. You're tired of us talking about waiting until next year.
2. We need to recruit better talent to be a regular NCAA tournament contender.
3. The coaches need to try and win NOW (always in caps).

I don't call people out much. But you make talking about the team in any way almost impossible because you end up flooding every thread with posts about how this program is disappointing. We know what you think, you've said it 8 million times now. And as I've said before, nobody likes waiting until next year. And unlike you who tries to catch games when you get the chance, there are lot of us go spend our time and money to go to all of the games we can. Trust me, I'd rather not drop what is probably thousands of dollars on Cyclone Football and Basketball each year to watch sub .500 teams. NOBODY LIKES WAITING FOR NEXT YEAR.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
My thoughts exactly. CJ will never be more than a role player unless he finds a way to rebound. He only plays about 10 minutes per game, but 12 rebounds in 9 games isn't going to cut it for an inside guy. I had hoped that a year in the S&C program would help, but he still doesn't seem to win any battles for the ball.

He brings enough on the offensive end to earn the time that he gets. He needs to rebound much better to justify any additional playing time.

Coiry is usually using his rump to block the bigger man off the boards so we can get the rebound. The guy is thinking ahead and is smart. Corey looked very field goal efficient out there as CrossCyed would say.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Wesley Johnson didn't have great lateral movement on defense before his injury. I wonder how much of what we are seeing now is injury related and how much is him still learning how to play perimeter defense.

I totally agree. Wes is a great offensive player...never has been a great (or even good) defender. He's actually the worst defender on the team, and that has nothing to do with the foot injury! Hopefully he can focus some of his offensive energy into defensive energy...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Maybe some of us just want to enjoy watching the team, be positive, and be hopeful. There is nothing to be done about the team this year and everybody here knows this. The only thing that can improve this team is guys getting healthy and Lucca being declared eligible. Some of us choose to not dominate every freaking thread with "woe is me" bullcrap. I get a little tired of your constant negativism. Trust me, every thread I start in the MBB section the rest of the year I'll try to have a little "#1" section for you where I'll list the things you'll say.

1. You're tired of us talking about waiting until next year.
2. We need to recruit better talent to be a regular NCAA tournament contender.
3. The coaches need to try and win NOW (always in caps).

I don't call people out much. But you make talking about the team in any way almost impossible because you end up flooding every thread with posts about how this program is disappointing. We know what you think, you've said it 8 million times now. And as I've said before, nobody likes waiting until next year. And unlike you who tries to catch games when you get the chance, there are lot of us go spend our time and money to go to all of the games we can. Trust me, I'd rather not drop what is probably thousands of dollars on Cyclone Football and Basketball each year to watch sub .500 teams. NOBODY LIKES WAITING FOR NEXT YEAR.

Well done.

*high five*

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Coiry is usually using his rump to block the bigger man off the boards so we can get the rebound. The guy is thinking ahead and is smart. Corey looked very field goal efficient out there as CrossCyed would say.

I agree that CJ is a good player. He is pshyical (which is more than we can say about most of our bigs) and he hustles the entire time (which is also more than we can say about most of our bigs). Let's look at the numbers between him and AT.

CJ: 9 games FG13-19 (.684), 3's 0-2, FT's 5-7 (.714), 31 total points avg 3.4 ppg, and 1.3 rpg....Cory is only avergaging 10 min a game. Now let's look at AT.

AT: 9 games FG8-27 (.296), 3's 1-6, FT's 3-10 (.30), 20 total points averaging 2.2 ppg, and 2.2 rpg...while averaging 14.8 min a game.

I would rather have CJ playing over AT any day.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I totally agree. Wes is a great offensive player...never has been a great (or even good) defender. He's actually the worst defender on the team, and that has nothing to do with the foot injury! Hopefully he can focus some of his offensive energy into defensive energy...

Admit it, you're just furthering the defense discussion in hopes of getting #13 mentioned for his most awesome defensive skills. :wink:

MJAnderson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2007
So, as a Cyclone fan, I am supposed to be happy with the current state of mediocrity (at best) that our program is in? Excuse me for believing that ISU BB should be a regular in the NCAA Tournament!

What makes you think I don't enjoy cheering for our team? What exactly "are we" according to you?

I'm not saying that you need to be satisfied, but some patience would be nice. Coaches sign multiple year contracts because sometimes it takes a little time to build a strong program. McDermott has got some good talent on the team and I think he is heading us in the right direction.

The reason I don't think you like cheering for ISU is because, "win or lose" you are always complaining that we have no talent and that if we don't recruit McDonalds All Americans we will never be good. It's the same old story every thread. I understand we didn't play a high caliber team last night but they went out there and did what they were supposed to do. Give them some credit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron