Adios, LaFuente

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I think, for anyone who went to college in the late 90s/early 00s, La Fuente HAS to be integral to some of your memories. I had my 23rd birthday there, and also had my bachelorette party meal there (so we could start off with a fishbowl margarita).

As others have said, Teca is just far and away better. The only thing that La Fuente had on them was superior chips (they're too hard at Azteca), and the queso fundido.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Wow this is sad to here. I was actually wanting to head up there sometime.

Fond memores from my time in school from 02-07, but yeah Azteca does almost all food better.

Did la Fuente sill do the Margarita Challenge? That will be missed. Will have to wear my shirt and drink a jumbo one down for this one.

Reactions: Angie

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Sad to hear it closed. I had a few good drunken memories from college there. The first time I did their margarita challenge, I ordered a normal lime one first, and a peach flavored one second. I remember that the peach was a terrible choice because it just tasted like nasty tequila. Drank them both though because, you know, "free shirt".

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Wow this is sad to here. I was actually wanting to head up there sometime.

Fond memores from my time in school from 02-07, but yeah Azteca does almost all food better.

Did la Fuente sill do the Margarita Challenge? That will be missed. Will have to wear my shirt and drink a jumbo one down for this one.
They stopped doing it years ago. Went through a couple huge margs to get one and they said they stopped doing the tshirts. I was sick and disappointed.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think, for anyone who went to college in the late 90s/early 00s, La Fuente HAS to be integral to some of your memories. I had my 23rd birthday there, and also had my bachelorette party meal there (so we could start off with a fishbowl margarita).

As others have said, Teca is just far and away better. The only thing that La Fuente had on them was superior chips (they're too hard at Azteca), and the queso fundido.

You clearly know nothing about chips.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You clearly know nothing about chips.

I know that flour is better than corn every single time. But, if you're going to do corn, you don't make it super hard and gritty.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I know that flour is better than corn every single time. But, if you're going to do corn, you don't make it super hard and gritty.
I'm not going to hit the disagree button because it's Christmas Eve and you're good people, but just this one time.

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm not going to hit the disagree button because it's Christmas Eve and you're good people, but just this one time.

Sorry - I meant to say "white corn," not flour. I don't cook, that's my excuse. ;)

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Sad to see a local business close, not too surprising though. It's popularity has been declining as more Mexican restaurants have opened. Azteca and mr burrito are probably my top two in Ames

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I was there December 10th. Business was pretty good and there was no indication of them closing.

However, I did talk to someone there (don't know if it was the owner or just someone who worked there a long time) who mentioned that La Fuente was absolutely hoppin' in the late 90's and early 2000's. The bar area that's always empty was packed every night.

I asked what changed - they said they changed nothing, but competition became a lot tougher.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Still miss O'Malleys. Great, dark restaurant. Loved the Alcoholicos Anonymos print they had about the tapped beer.
Loved getting a fried egg on top of some of their specialties.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Looks like I'm going to be the negative nancy here, but I got some of the worst food poisoning I've ever had from this place and never went back. It was a shame because the few times I did go before then I really liked the food and margaritas, but couldn't get myself to return after that mess.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron