After one B12 game, it looks like this to me ...

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Texas has two incredible scoring guards in Hunter and Carr, but they aren't good defensive guards. Keyontae Johnson and Markquis Nowell were fabulous last night. Guard play was the difference in that game. Plus, K-State was quicker at several positions allowing them to win Texas's up-tempo game.
I wouldn't call Hunter an incredible scoring guard as he isn't nearly consistent enough. He's upped his game for sure, but does it fully counter all the lack of defense he now plays when he doesn't have ace defenders supporting him?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I wouldn't call Hunter an incredible scoring guard as he isn't nearly consistent enough. He's upped his game for sure, but does it fully counter all the lack of defense he now plays when he doesn't have ace defenders supporting him?
Yes, I was basing my observation on last night's game, more so than their body of work. Still, those two Texas guards are hard to handle: 18 of 33 shooting; 9-19 from three; 29 and 27 = 56 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Yes, I was basing my observation on last night's game, more so than their body of work. Still, those two Texas guards are hard to handle: 18 of 33 shooting; 9-19 from three; 29 and 27 = 56 points.
You know I like and defend you, just giving you ****:). Meow

• Love
Reactions: surly

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Texas has two incredible scoring guards in Hunter and Carr, but they aren't particularly good defensive guards. Keyontae Johnson and Markquis Nowell were fabulous last night. Guard play was the difference in that game. Plus, K-State was quicker at several positions allowing them to win playing Texas's up-tempo game.
Beard needs to stay home where he can beat somebody

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Kansas just got the refs to help them again against tech. Not sure how they can do it every year without the coaches going nuts on them
Well, there were two fouls that could have been called, but weren't. Off the ball, a KU defender hooked a TT player and dragged him backwards down the lane for about 4 seconds. They HAD to see that and just didn't care. Then the guy with the ball bumped hips with a KU player which caused both of them to go sprawling on the floor. So that was more likely a KU foul, but something where you do see a no-call sometimes. But the first foul was clearly that hook-and-hold that the refs call now. Just as in the Okie State game, blatant bias. We get it! They are the defending National Champs and our best hope for a Big 12 threepeat. But wow!!!

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Well, there were two fouls that could have been called, but weren't. Off the ball, a KU defender hooked a TT player and dragged him backwards down the lane for about 4 seconds. They HAD to see that and just didn't care. Then the guy with the ball bumped hips with a KU player which caused both of them to go sprawling on the floor. So that was more likely a KU foul, but something where you do see a no-call sometimes. But the first foul was clearly that hook-and-hold that the refs call now. Just as in the Okie State game, blatant bias. We get it! They are the defending National Champs and our best hope for a Big 12 threepeat. But wow!!!
I don't agree on that. That was not what is called a hook and hold. He grabbed on to the Tech centers waste as the Tech guy was attempting to move him out of the way for their guard, but that isn't going to be called. If you watched the game, it was an extremely physical game where they let most stuff go. There were several times that guys got ran over and it should have been a block or a charge but the refs were just swallowing their whistle. I also don't think the KU guard fouled the TT guard that was driving, if you watch it you actually see the Tech guard hook his arm around the KU guy to get past him and that was what caused them both to get tangled up and he lost the ball. I mean even on the final KU dunk it was a foul on the Tech guy but they didn't call that either. And this is what you get most nights in the Big 12. Heck, it is how ISU plays.

Reactions: Raider

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
  1. Ku - customary AFH ref support
  2. Texas - continue winning without a beard
  3. ISU - comfortably over BU
  4. TCU - healing
  5. K-State - down a starter still stooled Huggs
  6. Baylor - missing Tang?
  7. WVU - look like always: tough, mean, can't shoot, boarding banshees
  8. OU - maybe a slot high
  9. TxT - regression toward the mean
  10. oSu - even the least shall challenge the beast
Re-sort. And my basis is where I believe they'll finish the year based on what I've seen to this point in time.

1. Ku - annoyingly good
2. TCU - ran Baylor out of their gym
3. K-State - win in Austin was significant v. the field
4. ISU - record matters
5. Texas - probably a slot or maybe two too low
6. Baylor - at 0-2 not sure they're up to recent standards
7. TxT - could'a/should'a
8. oSu - beat Huggs
9. OU - hired a porter instead of a coach
10. WVU - will HOF Huggins make it?

Last edited:

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Re-sort. And my basis is where I believe they'll finish the year based on what I've seen to this point in time.

1. Ku - annoyingly good
4. ISU - record matters
8. oSu - beat Huggs
TCU beat Baylor by 1 point and were down about 4.5 points on average the entire games. I wouldn't exactly say they ran them out of the gym.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

1. Ku - annoyingly good
4. ISU - record matters
8. oSu - beat Huggs
TCU ran Baylor out of their gym?

I'd probably put KSU at 2 right now, and would put OSU 7, Tech 8, WVU 9, and OU 10.

Reactions: NoCreativity

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017

1. Ku - annoyingly good
4. ISU - record matters
8. oSu - beat Huggs
WVU's first two games were on the road, I'd like to see them play at home before putting them below the Oklahoma's. I don't think Texas is too low, without Beard they will lose more games than originally expected. I would probably swap Baylor and K-State. Trust Drew to figure it out, while Tang despite his success is still in year 1. Your team already smashed my expectations, I don't think it's impossible they reach third, but I wouldn't say it yet.

Reactions: VeloClone

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
TCU ran Baylor out of their gym?

I'd probably put KSU at 2 right now, and would put OSU 7, Tech 8, WVU 9, and OU 10.
TCU was making fast break hoops off Baylor free throws. Yes, they ran them hard. EMAWs at #2 is a bit rich for my eyes but Saturday will clear up a lot of that depending on outcomes: K-State @ BU and ISU @ TCU being most compelling. Texas (@oSu) and Ku (@WVU) should win, and TxT should hand OU a cellar card in west Texas.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
WVU's first two games were on the road, I'd like to see them play at home before putting them below the Oklahoma's. I don't think Texas is too low, without Beard they will lose more games than originally expected. I would probably swap Baylor and K-State. Trust Drew to figure it out, while Tang despite his success is still in year 1. Your team already smashed my expectations, I don't think it's impossible they reach third, but I wouldn't say it yet.
I think Texas not a great team with or without Beard. They beat Gonzaga at home but also lost to mediocre Illinois team. Other than Carr, they don’t have consistent scorers.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Texas's biggest problem is Chris Beard, who has now been dealt with. Just how that reflects on the team's performance going forward is yet to be determined.

Illinois has fallen are hard times (B10 0-3) losing to Northwestern last night after watching Underwood go nutso.

Last edited:
Reactions: VeloClone

Help Support Us

Become a patron