"Aggies to Secede" - Blogpost

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Is there any source for a*m to the sec than an unsourced blog? I'm not convinced there is really anything to this yet. Maybe I'm being blind to it still seems like run away speculation at this point.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
There's nothing. Of course there was nothing on CU and NU last year except rumors for a while.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Is there any source for a*m to the sec than an unsourced blog? I'm not convinced there is really anything to this yet. Maybe I'm being blind to it still seems like run away speculation at this point.
There is an article on ESPN that says the Texas governor has confirmed a&m talking with SEC.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
There is an article on ESPN that says the Texas governor has confirmed a&m talking with SEC.

Here is the original source for all other articles reference Rick Perry's comments:

Rick Perry on A&M to SEC rumors: 'Conversations are being had' | Texas A&M Aggies News - Sports News for Dallas, Texas - SportsDayDFW

Asked by The Dallas Morning News’ statehouse reporters about SEC speculation regarding A&M, Perry responded: "I'll be real honest with you. I just read about it the same time as y'all did. ... As far as I know, conversations are being had. That's frankly all I know. I just refer you to the university and the decision makers over there."

Texas A&M offered this reply when asked to respond: “President Loftin is committed to doing what is best for Texas A&M not only now, but also into the future. We continue to have wide-ranging conversations regarding all aspects of the university, including both academics and athletics.”

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe also offered a statement: “I'll put it this way, I'm taking it very seriously,” he told the Austin American-Statesman. “Obviously, there are a significant number of Aggie supporters who are interested in going in that (SEC) direction.”

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Not exactly.

"I'll be real honest with you. I just read about it the same time as y'all did. ... As far as I know, conversations are being had. That's frankly all I know. I just refer you to the university and the decision makers over there."

It could mean that he only knows what we know and based on what he's read, he thinks conversations are being had.

However I think he's just playing coy and is aware of contact between aTm and the SEC

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest

saying ""I'll be real honest with you. I just read about it the same time as y'all did. ... As far as I know, conversations are being had. That's frankly all I know. I just refer you to the university and the decision makers over there."

He read it the same time they did, as far as he knows....

That isn't really confirmed anything. conversations with whom. between whom. this is just a bunch of posturing. He is a politician, he isn't going to upset the Aggie fans that want out, and he isn't going to say anything real either that would offend someone else.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
What is DeLoss Dodd's endgame here?

Interesting this is going down when all the Presidents were at the NCAA President retreat this week, with commissioners, and select ADs.

Some interesting conspiracy theories out there that say Texas wants ND in the conference, and that ND is more interested in Big 12 because we allow schools to maintain their 3 tier rights.

I just don't get why all these A&M people want to go to the SEC. IF they do, they will be rode hard and put up wet.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
What is DeLoss Dodd's endgame here?

Interesting this is going down when all the Presidents were at the NCAA President retreat this week, with commissioners, and select ADs.

Some interesting conspiracy theories out there that say Texas wants ND in the conference, and that ND is more interested in Big 12 because we allow schools to maintain their 3 tier rights.

I just don't get why all these A&M people want to go to the SEC. IF they do, they will be rode hard and put up wet.

If we could actually trade A&M for ND I would be doing backflips.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
I just read a post on a Northwestern board from a guy who supposedly has insight into the Big Ten offices. The Big Ten is warming up to the idea of inviting Texas and Texas A&M into the Big Ten. They would invite Texas as a full member, allow them to keep the LHN but they would not participate in the Big Ten Network. Then they would add A&M and extend the BTN footprint into Texas. They think by adding both, it keeps that rivalry and the politicians in Texas happy, and thus makes the possibility very probable. The hope is that if they can add both Texas schools, Notre Dame would fall in line right away as the league's 15th member. Then they would go out and find a 16th school to become the nation's top conference.

Ridiculous theory, but this conference realignment stuff is just fascinating to follow.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I just read a post on a Northwestern board from a guy who supposedly has insight into the Big Ten offices. The Big Ten is warming up to the idea of inviting Texas and Texas A&M into the Big Ten. They would invite Texas as a full member, allow them to keep the LHN but they would not participate in the Big Ten Network. Then they would add A&M and extend the BTN footprint into Texas. They think by adding both, it keeps that rivalry and the politicians in Texas happy, and thus makes the possibility very probable. The hope is that if they can add both Texas schools, Notre Dame would fall in line right away as the league's 15th member. Then they would go out and find a 16th school to become the nation's top conference.

Ridiculous theory, but this conference realignment stuff is just fascinating to follow.

Yeah ******* right.

Like Texas is going to submit to the Big 10 or vice versa. Iowa would be absolutely ****ed, though. On the field that is.

Last edited:

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

I find that really hard to believe. A&M's big push for the SEC is to "fit culturally" and frankly they wouldn't be too keen about being in a conference full of "yankees". Also, allowing Texas to keep the LHN would also keep A&M from going with that plan.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Exactly. This is all about A&M escaping Texas. Any scenario that has those two in the same conference other than the one they're both currently in is ridiculous.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm very well connected in the Big 12 front offices.

Word is that this is all a smoke screen and tomorrow we're inviting Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, and Florida. They're all going to have their own networks and we're going to form the first super conference.

See how easy that is?

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
I'm very well connected in the Big 12 front offices.

Word is that this is all a smoke screen and tomorrow we're inviting Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, and Florida. They're all going to have their own networks and we're going to form the first super conference.

See how easy that is?

I like the way you think!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The idea of A&M and Texas eloping to the Big 10 with the Longhorn Network in tow is just ********.

This whole controversy is about the LHN. What does A&M have to gain by sticking with Texas and shifting leagues? If they're going to stay with Texas, they might as well stay put.

This **** is officially starting to jump the shark, which suggests to me that nothing is going to happen.