Alvarez: Big 10 to look for 12th team

H

HGPuck

It is an interesting hypothetical to think about what team would fit. For me the two most natural are Notre Dame and Pitt. The question for either of them is if they would even want to join the B10, particularly ND. Most likely in my opinion would be to go after one of the Big East schools. For reference here is a map of all the D1 bowl subdivision football teams:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c4/Cfdia.PNG

Reactions: cyfanatic

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I'd see them going for Mizzou. They probably want to expand their TV viewing market. Mizzou would give them the entire state of Missouri including St. Louis, and KC. Two major markets for one team and it makes since geographically.

After all the crap the Big 12 has done to **** us off this year this would be great for us, but I don't see it happening. They already have the Iowa market from the U of I, and we don't bring another national power program to them.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Who wouldn't want to join the Big 10, except ND? I'm talking like the Pitt's, Mizzou's, Iowa State's...of the world.

At least Mizzou has some rivalries in the Big 12 with Nebraska and KU. We have none but already have a natural rivalry with Iowa and could probably form a pretty nice one with Minnesota.

cy2win

May 15, 2006
The Big 10 would want Mizzou more for the Waltons and Kroenkes. I don't see these families allowing Mizzou to move. ISU does bring academics and research which is a very important component for the Big 10. Mizzou fits this criteria as well, but the overall culture of Mizzou is not really a good fit in the Big 10. Mizzou fits in well with the Big 12. Mizzou has subtly acquired almost as much cash as Texas, they just don't flaunt it like Texas. I know ND has a great undergradute program, but I am not sure about their grad and research programs. I think if ND had to join a conference, it would be the Big East.

Given the Big 10s overall requirements, I am not sure any school geographically fits in with them. The Big 10 would have to grab someone from an unnatural geographical perspective.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I could see a school like Syracuse going to the big 10.

I would say no on Syracuse. They were going to join the ACC in 2004, but Boeheim put up a fight to stay in the Big East and while the school was fighting internally about the move Virginia Tech took their place with Boston College and Miami. I can't see Boeheim willing to budge again - but I think Pitt would be a great fit. For the BCS to work they really need all the Major Conferences to have a Conference Championship game - that would clean up a lot of the BCS mess.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Notre Dame will never join a football conference. Ever.

They won't have to until 2015, when their contract with NBC is up - unless they have some mediocre season with Kelly and NBC decides to drop them for something that will draw in more viewers, such as women's beach volleyball...

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
Where are all of those people that called me out last week when I started the thread about "Our Audition for the Big Ten"?????? I'll serve you your steaming plate of crow, all you got to do is tell me how smart I am and beg like dogs. :wink:

Of course we do whatever we can to get in the Big Ten, it is highly unlikely but it would be something I think we should pursue. Be crazy not to.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I am sorry, I just don't get it. It seems as though most people here would like to go to the Big Ten. Why?! It's a pathetic conference & I love making fun of it. I would absolutely hate moving to the big ten! Tell them to go get Cincy!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron