Alvarez: Big 10 to look for 12th team

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines

Any expansion of the Big 10 would have to come from Jim Delany's office, and in the past he hasn't exactly been against expansion, but has said that it's on the back burner.

In my opinion, the Big 10 should drop a school, get rid of a non-conference game, and play a round-robin.

But since we're dealing with hypotheticals, Pitt or Rutgers would make a nice fit.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I am sorry, I just don't get it. It seems as though most people here would like to go to the Big Ten. Why?! It's a pathetic conference & I love making fun of it. I would absolutely hate moving to the big ten! Tell them to go get Cincy!

uh, maybe because they take care of their own, and tv, and um revenue SHARING maybe??? The BigXII takes care of texas and oklahoma. My preference is stay in the BigXII and fix the conference but when the power is with the teams that are benefiting it will be a VERY tough change.

Cyclonus

Nov 22, 2009
Milwaukee
Love for ISU to go but that is pretty unrealistic...

Got to agree with PITT being the best fit... great tv market... and everyone leaves the Big East...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I am sorry, I just don't get it. It seems as though most people here would like to go to the Big Ten. Why?! It's a pathetic conference & I love making fun of it. I would absolutely hate moving to the big ten! Tell them to go get Cincy!

It seems to support its members more fairly, itd be better moneywise for a school like ISU, and also we fit in better geographically. Having Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois in close proximity would be great. Not to mention since Iowa would now be a conference game, we could then schedule 4 cupcakes in the noncon and only have to win 2 games in conference to go to a bowl.

That said, the conference wouldnt take us. We dont bring any $$ to the table in the form of a new audience. Also, i dont see why the big 10 would want to be in a hurry to go to 12 teams anyways. Having less and not having a championship has helped them get 2 teams into BCS bowls.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
If ND loses their NBC deal I would love to see the Big 12 make a run to get a deal with NBC. This would basically give the Big 12 their own football network and you could still have agreements with FOX and ESPN/ABC but at least this could allow all the games to be shown on TV somehow.

Nonconference games could be shown on local/regional NBC stations if not picked up for a national game on ESPN/ABC. I think there would be more exposure and more money for the conference this way.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
It seems to support its members more fairly, itd be better moneywise for a school like ISU

As I pointed out in another thread, 6 Big 12 schools and 6 Big Ten schools are in the top 25 athletic budgets. The combined budgets of the top 6 Big Ten schools are about $40 million higher than the combined budgets of the top 6 Big 12 schools. ISU would be pretty much at the bottom of the Big Ten budget wise. From the budget disparity standpoint, ISU would be worse off in the Big Ten. Lots of "old" money in the Big Ten.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Where are all of those people that called me out last week when I started the thread about "Our Audition for the Big Ten"?????? I'll serve you your steaming plate of crow, all you got to do is tell me how smart I am and beg like dogs. :wink:

Of course we do whatever we can to get in the Big Ten, it is highly unlikely but it would be something I think we should pursue. Be crazy not to.

Sitting right here, and I still think you need your head examined if you actually think that the Big 10 is going to treat the Insight Bowl as Iowa State's audition for admittance to the conference... :wacko::nah:

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Our recruiting would go down the crapper if we joined the Big 10 IMO. I can't see us recruiting the state of Texas much without the Big 12 affiliation. Half the reason we get Texas kids is because they love the Big 12 and want to play in that conference.

I don't see us winning many recruiting battles in the midwest against other Big 10 powers. I realize the Big 12 isn't ideal for us but I don't see the Big 10 being much better.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
Let's offer a real deal and save a lot of merger hodge-podge later. The five teams in the north division that are playing second-fiddle to the Texas powers can all go to the Big Televen and make it a sixteen team conference.

Iowa State, Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri, from the old Big Eight could join with Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin to form a Western division. Most traditional rivalries would be maintained within the two conference divisions. The new conference could have a football championship game. Colorado could join the Pac Ten and the old Southwest conference schools could suck eggs.

Reactions: Cyfan322

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
Sitting right here, and I still think you need your head examined if you actually think that the Big 10 is going to treat the Insight Bowl as Iowa State's audition for admittance to the conference... :wacko::nah:

LOL...the point isn't the fact that the Insight Bowl was our only deciding factor in getting in, I meant it that it would be common sense that since we are playing a Big Ten team, this would show we could compete.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Who does the Big12 get "IF" they would steal Mizzou?
Flip OU to the North and go get TCU?

I'm guessing that's the most likely scenario but I'd love to see a strong push to bring Arkansas into the Big 12. It just makes sense geographically and they have more rivalry with Texas or A&M than anyone in the SEC. Plus I find it somewhat suspicious that the Razorbacks are scheduling more and more Big 12 teams each year in both FB and BB.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I'm guessing that's the most likely scenario but I'd love to see a strong push to bring Arkansas into the Big 12. It just makes sense geographically and they have more rivalry with Texas or A&M than anyone in the SEC. Plus I find it somewhat suspicious that the Razorbacks are scheduling more and more Big 12 teams each year in both FB and BB.
Remeber that most of those were tradional rivals from the SWAC days. Also Arkansas chose to leave the SWAC before the big 12 formed so I don't see them coming back to their roots a little and joining the big 12.

C

Cyclone42

Let's offer a real deal and save a lot of merger hodge-podge later. The five teams in the north division that are playing second-fiddle to the Texas powers can all go to the Big Televen and make it a sixteen team conference.

Iowa State, Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri, from the old Big Eight could join with Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin to form a Western division. Most traditional rivalries would be maintained within the two conference divisions. The new conference could have a football championship game. Colorado could join the Pac Ten and the old Southwest conference schools could suck eggs.

Something interesting that I came across while I was browsing some wikis yesterday. The Big10 is as much of a academic/research conference as it is a sports conference like the Big12. The Big10 already has 12 members, but the "12th" member is academic-only (The University of Chicago).

Here's something else: Big10 bylaws state that members of the Big10 must be a member of the Association of American Universities. This is a rather exclusive club; ISU is a member, but K-State is not (other Big12 schools not in the AAU are Colorado, Oklahoma, Oki-St, Baylor, and Texas Tech). So, from the Big12 North, K-State could not join the Big10.

BTW, this AAU stipulation is what derailed Notre Dame from joining the Big10 a few years ago. Notre Dame is not a member of the AAU.

Association of American Universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cyfan322

Mar 31, 2006
Ames

We'd be on TV EVERY Saturday!

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Something interesting that I came across while I was browsing some wikis yesterday. The Big10 is as much of a academic/research conference as it is a sports conference like the Big12. The Big10 already has 12 members, but the "12th" member is academic-only (The University of Chicago).

Here's something else: Big10 bylaws state that members of the Big10 must be a member of the Association of American Universities. This is a rather exclusive club; ISU is a member, but K-State is not (other Big12 schools not in the AAU are Colorado, Oklahoma, Oki-St, Baylor, and Texas Tech). So, from the Big12 North, K-State could not join the Big10.

BTW, this AAU stipulation is what derailed Notre Dame from joining the Big10 a few years ago. Notre Dame is not a member of the AAU.

Association of American Universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think either the Big Ten would have made an exception to the AAU rule for Notre Dame or ND is close to qualifying for membership for the AAU and would have had to join the AAU as a condition of joining the Big Ten. They (the Big Ten and ND) wouldn't have talked as long as they did if there wasn't a way around this.

There is also a rule that any new members need to be either in a currently Big Ten state or borders a current Big Ten state. I think the rule could be changed with a simple vote, but currently it would keep out any Big 12 school other than ISU, Missouri and Nebraska.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Drive4cy hit on the most important reason not to join. It would kill our recruiting in Texas and Oklahoma, and I doubt there's enough good leftover players in Minnesota and Illinois to make up for it. I'd love the football schedule but we may not have enough good players to even compete well in a weak big 10.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron