Alvarez: Big 10 to look for 12th team

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Syracuse and Rutgers seem to be the most logical teams as they open the New York media market. The thing that will be interesting is will the big 10 tell all its schools not to play Notre Dame if ND won't join the conference that would be a quarter of the schedule that ND would be losing if that were to happen. I don't see that but that would be interesting. If ND does leave the Big east and joins the Big 10 then who does the big east get to join?

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
My thoughts for those who are hung up on ISU joining the Big Ten...

1) Iowa State offers no value to the Big Ten athletically. We don't expand their geographic/population footprint, and we don't bring any prestige (in football, anyway).

2) The Big XII North is the perfect conference/division for ISU. We have a chance to compete for a division championship every year, and we have excellent exposure in, and access to, the deepest well of HS football talent in the country - Texas.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
The Big 10 is like Spain. They were a power a few centuries ago, but they're irrelelvant now.

minnclone99

Nov 22, 2006
Rompots
Something interesting that I came across while I was browsing some wikis yesterday. The Big10 is as much of a academic/research conference as it is a sports conference like the Big12. The Big10 already has 12 members, but the "12th" member is academic-only (The University of Chicago).

Here's something else: Big10 bylaws state that members of the Big10 must be a member of the Association of American Universities. This is a rather exclusive club; ISU is a member, but K-State is not (other Big12 schools not in the AAU are Colorado, Oklahoma, Oki-St, Baylor, and Texas Tech). So, from the Big12 North, K-State could not join the Big10.

BTW, this AAU stipulation is what derailed Notre Dame from joining the Big10 a few years ago. Notre Dame is not a member of the AAU.

Association of American Universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Maroons will elevate to D1 football in three years and the original Monsters of the Midway will lead the B10 to new relevance.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Who does the Big12 get "IF" they would steal Mizzou?
Flip OU to the North and go get TCU?

I doubt OU would be the one flipping to the North. I would venture that OSU would flip up so OU/TX could maintain the Red River Rivalry yearly (but Nebby/ OU would replace it otherwise which would be ok).

TCU is the fashionable pick right now, but I would really like for us to go after Arkansas, Memphis, Utah or even Louisville/ Cincy first. Utah is a ways west, but would provide access to the Salt Lake market and give us some better West Coast exposure. Memphis obviously brings in the Memphis market. While they aren't real hot in football, it would do wonders for our basketball conference. Talk about dominant. Louisville and Cincy are further East but would def. be a great get in their respective sports. Also a better exposure to the eastern cities of the "Midwest." Arkansas doesn't add a better market per se but is a traditional rival for the south schools.

All that said, I don't think that Mizzou will be offered. I think Syracuse and Pitt are the most likely candidates. I personally think that Boston College would be an interesting catch. It's a strong Jesuit Catholic university which would open up the Boston market for them with strong athletics for the most part (not superb but strong). However, it doesn't touch a Big Televen state and isn't part of the AAU so who knows. Just a thought.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
OU moving north would make the BigXII VERY happy and the other teams not so much. By BigXII of course I mean Texas and OU. They could play for the title EVERY SINGLE YEAR. How awesome.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
The only reason I would want to join the B10 is to up our Revenue by 10+ million a year. HD every game Football game wouldn't suck either. Plus you can go to some pretty good bowl games too because you don't have to compete with South Teams.

Now....That being said.
If...The B12 could get the TV package figured out and shore up the Revenue sharing a little better then I would have no problem with it.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I know that everyone complains about the TV package, but I think it sounds harder then every makes it to be. I do agree that we should get to see our games every weekend, whether its on FSN or mediacom. But I don't think the Big 12 can get a deal like the SEC and Big 10 just due to the population in the Big 12 footprint.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
TCU is the fashionable pick right now, but I would really like for us to go after Arkansas, Memphis, Utah or even Louisville/ Cincy first.

I think TCU is too small for the Big 12 (about 9000 students with very limited graduate programs). I don't think they fit well academically. They wouldn't bring in any additional TV markets that aren't already covered by the other Texas schools.

I like Louisville. I checked out the traveling distances from Louisville to the other Big 12 schools awhile back, and they aren't that outrageous. I think they would have a number of positives to add to the Big 12, including some untapped TV markets, new recruiting areas, some good FB and BB tradition, etc.

Last edited:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I think TCU is too small for the Big 12 (about 9000 students with very limited graduate programs). I don't think they fit well academically. .

KState isnt very big I think their enrol is close to the same as UNI's. Their academics well are not the greatest.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If missouri was to leave, i would rather we replaced them with a northern and not a southern school if possible. We dont need the geographical center of the conference to move farther south. Also, if it were the case, ISU would feel more isolated from the conference.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Well what were to happen if Missouri leaves for Big 10 and Colorado to the Pac 10 then where does the Big 12 go? I don't see either of these happening but since your talking what ifs.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Actually, N. Ill could be good for the big 12 in that it could attract the chicago market.