Ames Lager

CycloneJL

Jun 14, 2010
Cedar Falls
Morning y'all. I've kind of hinted that there are some positive things going on with West O and Ames Lager and I am happy to finally announce one of those things. I have taken the position of Sales and Distribution Manager with West O. As a fellow diehard, I am beyond stoked to move back to Iowa and the Ames/DSM area to help grow the brand, especially Ames Lager, in Central and Eastern IA. We appreciate the support of our brand and WeWill and are excited for the next step.

I have taken note of all the concerns with the product and the lack of availability and distribution. I can assure you those issues are behind us, but it will take some time for me to get us into every bar/restaurant/bottle shop, so please be a little patient. That said, we have purchased more fermenters and brite tanks to continue to ramp up production and our distributor partners have been on board.

Please continue to share in the thread where y'all want to see the suds!

Cheers!
Not sure how the distribution issue is behind you when nobody apparently distributes in Waterloo/Cedar Falls. I keep pinging WestO and they keep saying they're working on it

Reactions: jaj040

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
1000002541.jpg

The board at Confluence says they are releasing a beer called Juicy Wiggle next week. I can't find anything about it online. Who has the details?

Reactions: Erik4Cy

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Not sure how the distribution issue is behind you when nobody apparently distributes in Waterloo/Cedar Falls. I keep pinging WestO and they keep saying they're working on it
I understand your frustration, and I should have clarified my statement more clearly. I was stating our issues were cleared up in our current distribution areas. Please understand that more goes into distribution than simply making and selling beer. There are many moving parts with the three tier system. I can assure you that we are working on that area.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
It's my understanding (from asking brewers the same thing) that IPAs typically go bad quicker. Stouts, ambers, and lagers can hang on the shelf a bit longer and be fine.

Someone correct me if that's wrong.
You’re correct and beer doesn’t go bad like milk does, if stored in a cool dark place most beer will be drinkable for years but the flavors may fall off and change.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
It's my understanding (from asking brewers the same thing) that IPAs typically go bad quicker. Stouts, ambers, and lagers can hang on the shelf a bit longer and be fine.

Someone correct me if that's wrong.
The only beers I'm cautious on are a lot of the hazy and milkshake IPAs those should be kept cold and drank fresh

Reactions: MJ29

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Okay all the born on date stuff has me wondering...does beer go bad?

Beer doesn't really go 'bad' from an unsafe to drink perspective.

Hoppy flavors fall off after a while. If in a bottle (especially clear) they can start to skunk. That’s what the ‘flavor’ in Corona is.

Otherwise over time you can see some oxidation or other off flavors pop up.

There’s always the risk of infection, but that’s not really a time issue, but I suppose could be.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Okay all the born on date stuff has me wondering...does beer go bad?
Yes, years ago my brother and I painted our grandparents garage. They bought a case of Busch Light for us. About a year later we're back over and the rest of the case was still in their garage fridge. They don't drink at all. It was skunky as hell.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Beer doesn't really go 'bad' from an unsafe to drink perspective.

Hoppy flavors fall off after a while. If in a bottle (especially clear) they can start to skunk. That’s what the ‘flavor’ in Corona is.

Otherwise over time you can see some oxidation or other off flavors pop up.

There’s always the risk of infection, but that’s not really a time issue, but I suppose could be.
This is correct. If a beer is packaged correctly in a sterile manner it will never go "bad." It might get to the point where it tastes like garbage, but it will never become unsafe.

For example, I once had a porter that was bottled over 30 years prior. It was past its prime, but still tasted all right.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Details will be out early next week. Thursday at the latest.

Looks like a juicy IPA with no affiliation to Iowa State or We Will
I walked into the brewery, I see somethin’ I never saw, everybody was movin, groovin’, with this Juicy IPA in their hands.
We've teamed up again with Coaches vs Cancer to brew up a special batch of beer, and auction off the label to raise funds for cancer research. The lucky winner of this year's auction was none other than Jay Chapman, a local sports fan, and all-around community supporter, who's wild about the Juicy Wiggle!
Packed with enough fruity hops to keep your taste buds grooving, each sip is a burst of tangy grapefruit, zesty citrus, and sweet orange that'll make your taste buds sing. This beer is a party in a glass, waiting to get the good times rolling!

Reactions: Erik4Cy and MJ29