Announcement coming: "Cyclones.TV is the real deal"

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
It's not HD?

"Programming will be shown initially on MC22 beginning with a Cyclone basketball doubleheader on Dec. 9. The women's team hosts Fairfield at 1 p.m. followed by the men's club facing Nebraska-Omaha at 6 p.m. However, Mediacom will create a dedicated channel for Cyclone sports programming by early 2013. "

Not sorry, it's pathetic that in 2012 we are starting with a std def picture for this. I won't even consider watching/subscribing to MC until it's HD. This should have been a requirement from ISU.

This is really quick. I'm shocked they are going to start airing content that soon and even more shocked that they expect to have everything up and going by early next year (I read that as 2 to 3 months top). I would have guessed full content by next football season.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's not HD?

"Programming will be shown initially on MC22 beginning with a Cyclone basketball doubleheader on Dec. 9. The women's team hosts Fairfield at 1 p.m. followed by the men's club facing Nebraska-Omaha at 6 p.m. However, Mediacom will create a dedicated channel for Cyclone sports programming by early 2013. "

Not sorry, it's pathetic that in 2012 we are starting with a std def picture for this. I won't even consider watching/subscribing to MC until it's HD. This should have been a requirement from ISU.

Hopefully the dedicated channel will be HD.

That said, even if its standard def, it should be better than the typical MC22 broadcasts were due to not being filmed with $5 cameras mediacom found on craigslist

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
So? Shouldn't matter...unless you are discounting a fan as being not as important due solely to their age?

Jezzus kriste, where did I say any weren't important? Merely stating that I don't think the other posters premise is accurate. The conclusion from that posters premise (drawn out to absolutes for illustration) was that because everyone has only a desktop, no one is interested in cyclones.tv. By arguing with his premise that everyone only has a desktop, it also affects the conclusion.

Linusvanp3lt

Sep 25, 2012
Also, and I'm in this camp when I'm not at the games, it is much more comfortable and convenient to just flip on the TV and watch from the couch. My computer is set up in the basement at a desk, and it's not the most comfortable way to watch a game. I'm extending my wireless so I can watch upstairs, but I would bet that a lot of people just have a computer set up at a desk and that's it.

I would disagree, and mean no offense by that. Trend is to laptops/tablets. Most have a mobile computer.

I actually have my old laptop permanently in my entertainment center, in a docking station. Then I have it permanently cabled to my TV. Last I bought one of these bad boys, Logitech K400 Wireless Touch Keyboard with Touchpad | Meritline.com. Now I can use the comp, on my computer, from my couch. It's great for ESPN3, Cyclones.TV, youtube, hulu, Netflix, etc.

Having on Mediacom is nice for Iowans as now many have the option to not subscribe to Cyclones.tv. Having the internet available is good for those out of state. I think Jamie did well to keep options open for consumers.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Jezzus kriste, where did I say any weren't important? Merely stating that I don't think the other posters premise is accurate. The conclusion from that posters premise (drawn out to absolutes for illustration) was that because everyone has only a desktop, no one is interested in cyclones.tv. By arguing with his premise that everyone only has a desktop, it also affects the conclusion.

You didn't say much at all with your post! Your post was short and left open for interpretation! I don't think the other poster insinuated at all that "everyone" only has a desktop computer at home...

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I never get the hate for mediacom, or at least the love for satellite. Customer service sucks for both. Id actually give the edge to mediacom on it though because their social networking customer service (on twitter, facebook, and a couple support message boards) has been excellent when ive worked with them. Directv? Was a nightmare getting it set up for our tailgate setup. I literally spent 6 hours on the phone one day, and they still had issues with the order when we finally got them to deliver the stuff. Mediacom provides me all the channels i want and could have more if i wanted, the picture is fine (MC22 sucked, but with cyclones.tv doing the producing i'm counting on higher production value), and i honestly can't see where the huge 'omg satellite is miles better than cable' comes from.

I'd agree with you on mediacom vs. satellite...not much difference. Luckily, I have a small local cable/phone/internet company that is awesome. So it's not always just MC vs. dish.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Also...I do like your spelling for "JC"...very creative...whatever it takes to get past the filters...lol (I am being sincere about that...I found it very funny)

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I never get the hate for mediacom, or at least the love for satellite. Customer service sucks for both. Id actually give the edge to mediacom on it though because their social networking customer service (on twitter, facebook, and a couple support message boards) has been excellent when ive worked with them. Directv? Was a nightmare getting it set up for our tailgate setup. I literally spent 6 hours on the phone one day, and they still had issues with the order when we finally got them to deliver the stuff. Mediacom provides me all the channels i want and could have more if i wanted, the picture is fine (MC22 sucked, but with cyclones.tv doing the producing i'm counting on higher production value), and i honestly can't see where the huge 'omg satellite is miles better than cable' comes from.

Customer service is subjective from one person to the next, but the superior equipment and HD channel access on either satellite provider is unquestionably better than Mediacom.

Unfortunately, no one can have it all. Mediacom offers local options that a national provider can't -- like Cyclones.tv. You're happy with your service from Mediacom, so the benefit to you is huge.

To each his own.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
You didn't say much at all with your post! Your post was short and left open for interpretation! I don't think the other poster insinuated at all that "everyone" only has a desktop computer at home...

That was the point of putting:

JThe conclusion from that posters premise (drawn out to absolutes for illustration) was that because everyone has only a desktop, no one is interested in cyclones.tv.

That in. In order to make the distinction clearer, I took his statement and drew it out to absolutes. I was clear in doing it that I was doing it.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Well, we all have our opinions. I don't think Directv is great either, but it's the better option for me, living in Ames. I had mediacom for years, and would never switch back to it.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I don't have a problem as long as Cyclone.tv has the right to broadcast the content on other providers. If ISU locked into Mediacom I think that is very short sighted.

Linusvanp3lt

Sep 25, 2012
I don't have a problem as long as Cyclone.tv has the right to broadcast the content on other providers. If ISU locked into Mediacom I think that is very short sighted.

It all depends on the contract. IF they paid a premium for exclusivity then it could be fair, or even better than a lesser contract with options for additional carriers. Have to forecast future cash flows of other carriers, and compare that to the exclusivity premium.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I think we all need to remember too that this is just the first, and maybe second steps in this whole process. If the Mediacom channel is supported (watched) then there will be room for expansion. If the demand is there, maybe eventually it can be a full-fledged HD channel broadcasting ISU Educational stuff and ISU Athletic Department shows 24/7/365.

Baby steps. Big thing now is that it will be available, and let's hope it is supported around the state. Plus, we should do all we can individually to support it so it can grow.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I think we all need to remember too that this is just the first, and maybe second steps in this whole process. If the Mediacom channel is supported (watched) then there will be room for expansion. If the demand is there, maybe eventually it can be a full-fledged HD channel broadcasting ISU Educational stuff and ISU Athletic Department shows 24/7/365.

Baby steps. Big thing now is that it will be available, and let's hope it is supported around the state. Plus, we should do all we can individually to support it so it can grow.

I agree and this is fantastic!

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale

I get what you're saying but my beef is non HD to start. It's 2012, we should expect HD content.

ty4cy90

Apr 27, 2010
Ames/Spirit Lake
Now that some of the games are on Mediacom, and if you have both mediacom and Cyclones.TV, doesn't that diminish the value of the purchase of Cyclones.TV?

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Now that some of the games are on Mediacom, and if you have both mediacom and Cyclones.TV, doesn't that diminish the value of the purchase of Cyclones.TV?

Yes and no. Cyclones.tv still gives you the flexibility to watch it wherever, and probably in better quality, at least for a while. They will probably lose some potential subscriptions to it, but they will make up for it in money from Mediacom and increased viewership.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA

I've had terrible mediacom service...but that was 12ish years ago. Granted trying to get them to reset my password was a run around but their cable (internet) has been rock solid for me and when I had tv a few years ago was the same. Always more reliable than satellite. I think they've worked hard to address issues they had previously and that reputation (bad) is not deserved now.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.

Maybe a little, but not all that much. If Mediacom were broadcasting every game shown on CTV, every interview, every feature, every highlight, and every replay......then yes. That is not what they are doing. Eventually, if the ISU Channel broadcasts EVERYTHING CTV produces, then CTV online would only be good for those people who do not have access to Mediacom. We are not close to that yet.