Announcement coming: "Cyclones.TV is the real deal"

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I've had terrible mediacom service...but that was 12ish years ago. Granted trying to get them to reset my password was a run around but their cable (internet) has been rock solid for me and when I had tv a few years ago was the same. Always more reliable than satellite. I think they've worked hard to address issues they had previously and that reputation (bad) is not deserved now.

I've had great Mediacom customer service. A while back my internet started getting choppy, I called in and talked to a real live person, and they sent a tech out the next day. The tech spent over 2 hours troubleshooting the issues and did not leave until his speed test showed higher than 12 mbps download speed. I haven't had any issues since that day and recently my speed was increased to 15 mbps. When we got Cyclones.tv I cancelled Mediacom Cable and kept MC internet. I will consider getting Mediacom Cable back now (if it is HiDef) but I plan to keep Cyclones.tv subscription for the on-demand stuff.
Seems to me that the guys hollering about poor Mediacom service are the old farts who got ****** off 15 years ago and won't let it go.

Last edited:

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Now that some of the games are on Mediacom, and if you have both mediacom and Cyclones.TV, doesn't that diminish the value of the purchase of Cyclones.TV?

Until the content on Mediacom is in HD, no.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Yes and no. Cyclones.tv still gives you the flexibility to watch it wherever, and probably in better quality, at least for a while. They will probably lose some potential subscriptions to it, but they will make up for it in money from Mediacom and increased viewership.

I mentioned this on the other related thread. I wouldn't be surprise if Mediacom added the Cyclone.TV content to their On-Demand menu where they already have a lot of other local sports programming housed. Just a guess.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Until the content on Mediacom is in HD, no.

This. Bobby legasse(sp) tweeted that the Cyclone Channel will NOT be in HD. The reason being that it allowed it into more households. I'm guessing they would need 2 dedicated channels to have the HD or non HD channels (duh but you know what I mean).

Slightly disappointing but this (our own mediacom channel) is still a good move IMO, even in SD.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Umm, yes. I do have a subscription. I started it in the days of mediacom basketball games and no local radio station that I could receive at night. It was a cheap insurance policy that I would be able to at least hear every game.

Just seeing your gridiron club avatar made me think of something...the AD should give cyclones.tv subscriptions to as many people that support the department that they can (I realize they may not be allowed to for the clubs like gridiron and wrestling since those aren't official university groups).

Just to be clear, I was supporting you. I assume you watched it on UNLV's website/network. My point was for others, that it is becoming more common to get content via the internet and not an evil perpetrated by just out AD. So you had to pay to watch on UNLV's site?

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I have to admit, I still find the PC to Tv thing to be a pain. My best streaming is on my desktop which is in my home office which is a long ways from my Tv. My laptop just isn't as high of quality. Plus, I have to make the effort to hook it up, can't really surf the internet while watching a game, and it's a pain to flip channels during commercials. I have an Xbox which is great for streaming a lot of stuff but there's no way to get cyclones.tv. I'm a big Cyclone fan so I'm willing to just sit at my desk and watch on my desktop, but for casual fans, I can understand the hold up.

I watch Cyclones.tv on my TV, from my iPad, via my AppleTV. Once I have switched it from my iPad to my TV (again via AppleTV) I can surf the web on my iPad and participate in game chats, etc. If I leave the room with the TV, one touch of my iPad and it's back on there and I can carry it with me to get another cold one.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
It's not going to be in HD for now, but I don't see that as a big problem.

HD is still relatively new. Not everyone has it in their home yet, and not every channel has put out the money to originate or broadcast in HD. Eventually that will change and HD will be the norm. When that happens, then I think the public will demand that the channel be in HD. Just takes time.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Let's be realistic here... nobody outside of Iowa (and a few stranded Cyclone alums and fans scattered across the country) would bother watching.

The MC deal is good. Like Pollard says in the article, we're only the 3rd school in the nation with a dedicated channel. It's not like the LHN is showing nationally either.

It's more than a few scattered fans across the country. This is a good deal, a major carrier in IA with a dedicated channel and the digital network of Cyclones.tv working in conjunction. Cyclones.tv is the second most just site, per JP announcement. The 100+ other schools referenced, includes LSU, Florida, A&M, Nebraska, Oregan, Arkansas, Miss State, Duke, North Carolina, Cal, Colorado, etc. (per NeuLion's client list on their site). Only one of these schools has more usage.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Mediacom is cutting us a niiiiiiice check for the HD stream of Cyclones.tv. Makes sense when Mediacom already has the infrastructure in place and relationships to sell the ad space during games.

A little disappointed they don't seem to be setting up a Cyclones.tv on-demand portal like Starz, HBO, etc. have and just load everything Iowa State releases into that.

That's a really interesting idea!

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
So? Shouldn't matter...unless you are discounting a fan as being not as important due solely to their age?

I don't think he was discounting anyone. The OP said "a lot of people" and he was trying to define a line whether that is and isn't the case.

I am over forty, not very technical and I watch Cyclones.tv on my actual TV via my AppleTV, from my iPad. I had the iPad, but bought the ISU app and an AppleTV to do this. The AppleTV obviously has other uses. I invested in a Cyclones.tv subscription and spent another $5 on the app and $100 on the AppleTV to maximize my viewing experience. Again, the AppleTV has other uses. It's a sweet setup.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

HD is still relatively new. Not everyone has it in their home yet, and not every channel has put out the money to originate or broadcast in HD. Eventually that will change and HD will be the norm. When that happens, then I think the public will demand that the channel be in HD. Just takes time.

Its not 'relatively new' at all. Hell, i've had 3 hdtvs.

We know that cyclones.tv is produced in HD, just need mediacom to allocate the bandwidth for it. I think it is good that there is a tv option for this, but it really needs to be HD, at very least get it in HD in the core markets in iowa.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale

Just saying....you can't even buy a non HD tv anymore. I won't call HD relatively new.

I need to go do some looking but I'm guessing other 3rd Tier channels schools have are HD. It's sports, if you want to compete with the big boys you need HD.

ISUBrew

Apr 18, 2006

Please tell me you're trolling or joking. Either that, or you just hopped out of Doc Brown's DeLorean in 2007.

HD broadcasts have been going on for more than TEN YEARS NOW in Central Iowa, and since the 1990s in the coastal cities. EVERYONE can receive HD broadcasts, free-of-charge with a set of rabbit ears. They sell HDTVs for under $300 bucks on Black Friday. You can't BUY an SDTV anymore. Almost any SMARTPHONE sold since 2010 shoots at least 720p HD video.

Every Cyclones.TV broadcast is filmed with HD cameras, edited in HD editing software, and broadcast over the Internet in HD.

HD is the standard. Period.

For Mediacom to not carry Cyclones.TV in high definition is the most Mediacom thing ever -- half-assed, behind the times, and not in the least surprising.

I understand WHY Mediacom isn't dedicating an HD channel to Cyclones.TV -- they have a very finite amount of bandwidth (capacity) for HD channels, and a channel like Cyclones.TV with a niche audience isn't a great use of those resources.

That doesn't mean it doesn't suck or I think it's a waste of time.

I'm a Mediacom subscriber, and you can bet I will continue to stream Cyclones.TV through my Mac, or my iPad, or my AppleTV instead of watching the standard definition crap that is Mediacom.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
That is bull ****. The Big 10 network exists because non-fans of those teams are forced to pay for it. Mediacom sucks and I would never switch from satellite to that garbage podunk excuse for a cable provider, no matter what. Don't get all high and mighty about how much more of a fan you think you are just because you throw your attitude around at everyone on here.
You can always hit the bars.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I watch Cyclones.tv on my TV, from my iPad, via my AppleTV. Once I have switched it from my iPad to my TV (again via AppleTV) I can surf the web on my iPad and participate in game chats, etc. If I leave the room with the TV, one touch of my iPad and it's back on there and I can carry it with me to get another cold one.
Yeah, for cyclones.tv and an ipad with ATV means that you could go to set up in any room or at your friends house.

Help Support Us

Become a patron