Announcement coming: "Cyclones.TV is the real deal"

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Not paying for B1G, I actually have a higher package than that to get some other channels I want, just saying that some of these networks aren't always on 'basic' cable.

So its not a fair comparison then. By all accounts i've seen, b10net is a couple bucks a month per subscriber, tops.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
sununva....as long as cyclones.tv still has all the content too, I'm okay, just hoped for something I could get with my non-mediacom cable, and something available possibly nationwide. Dammit, dammit, dammit.

Let's be realistic here... nobody outside of Iowa (and a few stranded Cyclone alums and fans scattered across the country) would bother watching.

The MC deal is good. Like Pollard says in the article, we're only the 3rd school in the nation with a dedicated channel. It's not like the LHN is showing nationally either.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
Even if i had mediacom, I think i'd still watch it over the internet

channel 22 still haunts my dreams

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I don't think the online version of Cyclones.tv is going to change. You will still be able to subscribe to that.....since it doesn't appear that Mediacom is going to carry everything that Cyclones.tv provides......like only carrying 5-10 men's bb games and one football game. The Mediacom thing is just another option, especially for those who already have Mediacom. We will have to wait and see what the subscription charges are for the new dedicated channel. Maybe those who subscribe to Cyclones.tv online will get a reduced price or something.

The only problem I have with this is that unfortunately, it will be shown to start out on the crappy channel 22 on Mediacom. That's not even HD, and the picutre only fills about 2/3 of the screen on my tv. Maybe the cyclones.tv will be better quality, but I have my doubts.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
This is actually a pretty good deal, cyclones.tv will still exist online, plus we get a dedicated hd channel on mediacom for those in iowa and surrounding regions.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Let's be realistic here... nobody outside of Iowa (and a few stranded Cyclone alums and fans scattered across the country) would bother watching.

The MC deal is good. Like Pollard says in the article, we're only the 3rd school in the nation with a dedicated channel. It's not like the LHN is showing nationally either.

First, I think you're underestimating the amount of alumni that don't live in Iowa. More than 'a few'.

2nd, my dislike is primarily self interested. It's not a bad deal, just not what I was hoping for.

Reactions: cyfanatic

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
And some wonder why JP has trouble selling ISU to FSN and other media outlets when our "fan" base is littered with such attitude. The BTN (and soon SEC) exists because the fans of those teams are not only wiling to pay for it, they would riot if they do not get it.

That is bull ****. The Big 10 network exists because non-fans of those teams are forced to pay for it. Mediacom sucks and I would never switch from satellite to that garbage podunk excuse for a cable provider, no matter what. Don't get all high and mighty about how much more of a fan you think you are just because you throw your attitude around at everyone on here.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Mediacom is cutting us a niiiiiiice check for the stream of Cyclones.tv. Makes sense when Mediacom already has the infrastructure in place and relationships to sell the ad space during games.

A little disappointed they don't seem to be setting up a Cyclones.tv on-demand portal like Starz, HBO, etc. have and just load everything Iowa State releases into that.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Sure, but that still eliminates all your casual fans who might find it in their guide and flip to it. Most aren't going to go to the effort of paying for it, plugging a computer into a tv, etc. Most who would that are in mediacom's reach are probably going to these games anyways.

Also, and I'm in this camp when I'm not at the games, it is much more comfortable and convenient to just flip on the TV and watch from the couch. My computer is set up in the basement at a desk, and it's not the most comfortable way to watch a game. I'm extending my wireless so I can watch upstairs, but I would bet that a lot of people just have a computer set up at a desk and that's it.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Just a 'meh' feeling for me...I'll still watch the games I can't go to online and keep DISH. MC will never get another dime from me.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Also, and I'm in this camp when I'm not at the games, it is much more comfortable and convenient to just flip on the TV and watch from the couch. My computer is set up in the basement at a desk, and it's not the most comfortable way to watch a game. I'm extending my wireless so I can watch upstairs, but I would bet that a lot of people just have a computer set up at a desk and that's it.

Over age 40, yes. Under age 40, no.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
It's not HD?

"Programming will be shown initially on MC22 beginning with a Cyclone basketball doubleheader on Dec. 9. The women's team hosts Fairfield at 1 p.m. followed by the men's club facing Nebraska-Omaha at 6 p.m. However, Mediacom will create a dedicated channel for Cyclone sports programming by early 2013. "

Not sorry, it's pathetic that in 2012 we are starting with a std def picture for this. I won't even consider watching/subscribing to MC until it's HD. This should have been a requirement from ISU.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I'm good with it. I'm guessing this deal with Mediacom doesn't change the online content and probably doesn't isolate Cyclones.tv to just Mediacom. This may open the door to other providers in the future once it is seen how well it does.

I really doubt Pollard would lock down all rights to Mediacom for 5 years, Mediacom is just the first to pick it up and since they are the most local it makes sense.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
So, they're using Cyclones.TV cameras, right? I don't want to watch Mediacom try to film stuff with a toaster.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Mediacom sucks and I would never switch from satellite to that garbage podunk excuse for a cable provider, no matter what.

I never get the hate for mediacom, or at least the love for satellite. Customer service sucks for both. Id actually give the edge to mediacom on it though because their social networking customer service (on twitter, facebook, and a couple support message boards) has been excellent when ive worked with them. Directv? Was a nightmare getting it set up for our tailgate setup. I literally spent 6 hours on the phone one day, and they still had issues with the order when we finally got them to deliver the stuff. Mediacom provides me all the channels i want and could have more if i wanted, the picture is fine (MC22 sucked, but with cyclones.tv doing the producing i'm counting on higher production value), and i honestly can't see where the huge 'omg satellite is miles better than cable' comes from.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Great to get the games back on in the State of Iowa, but I'm sticking with Cyclones.tv online subscription. Mediacom is horrible.

Also, sorry folks, but I see no where in that press release where it says dedicated HD channel -- just dedicated channel.