Another baffling prohm timeout

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
A timeout in men's college basketball still doesn't advance the ball to halfcourt, right? (I honestly don't remember, I tried to look it up and couldn't find anything saying that it does now.) So in that case, are you saying it would be better to inbound the ball against the press, then advance it past halfcourt just to call a timeout later? And even if you can advance the ball with a timeout, is it really easier to inbound against press defense on the sideline than it is when you can run the baseline?
Yes, the dribble past half court, then go to a specific spot to cLl. The to. Then they get their usual inbound spot where plays are called fo.r.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Yes, the dribble past half court, then go to a specific spot to cLl. The to. Then they get their usual inbound spot where plays are called fo.r.

That might literally be the worst option. You're saying that they should have voluntarily inbounded the ball twice vs. a press defense solely for the opportunity to run a sideline out of bounds play. That means two different times risking turning it over and still having an inbounds play where you no longer have a timeout, all to be able to run a play that would probably end up looking nearly exactly the same, unless they could score directly off the inbound.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

Stereotype

Apr 23, 2017
How is this idiotic? It's a big coaching issue.

I'm a huge bball fan, and was even on the prohm defendera thread defendimg him... But that was an amateur coaching move, and prohm makes alof them.

The “I watch a lot of basketball so I must know more than the coach” mentality on this site is getting really old. Just because something appeared to be wrong to you, a “HUGE BBALL FAN” doesn’t mean that’s the reality of the situation.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Hold up, so let me get this straight: You hated the timeout because it used up a timeout they could have needed to inbound the ball, but you wanted them to cross half court and call a timeout and make the inbounds more difficult by virtue of the inbounder being stuck? And have no timeout when they struggled to get it inbounds?

The easiest place to inbound the ball from is the baseline with the ability to move. The problems were Harris didn't catch it clean and Johnson threw it in from a poor angle (they're taught to anticipate the break and run with it to make the passing lane easier to hit). Inbounding from the side, especially with the length WVU can throw at you, is a LOT more difficult.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I understand the ice id you're up one, or have another timeout. But to do this with the last timeout when you also don't yet knew the situation (tied or down one) then you save it... Especially when weve had issues with inbounding.

I yelled this to my wife when it happened... You don't have to be a genius to have seen what would happen there.
When did we have trouble inbounding? I can only recall 1 time the entire game prior to that and that was under our own basket not after a WV score. I am not counting the XF half court pass that was taken away as that was a freshman mistake forgetting everyone on the floor is very athletic, hopefully that will not happen to him again.

Last edited:
Reactions: aauummm

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
It was a stupid decision to burn the timeout there. If fans can clearly see that we struggle with throwing the ball in, why, against WVU of all teams, do you not pocket that TO for the throw in? Steve doesn't work well in the details of the game. Simple as that.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
When did we have trouble inbounding? I can only recall 1 time the entire game prior to that and that was under our own basket not after a WV score. I am not counting the XF half court pass that was taken away as that was a freshman mistake forgetting everyone on the floor is very athletic, hopefully that will not happen to him again.
Several times that took 4 seconds plus.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Hold up, so let me get this straight: You hated the timeout because it used up a timeout they could have needed to inbound the ball, but you wanted them to cross half court and call a timeout and make the inbounds more difficult by virtue of the inbounder being stuck? And have no timeout when they struggled to get it inbounds?

The easiest place to inbound the ball from is the baseline with the ability to move. The problems were Harris didn't catch it clean and Johnson threw it in from a poor angle (they're taught to anticipate the break and run with it to make the passing lane easier to hit). Inbounding from the side, especially with the length WVU can throw at you, is a LOT more difficult.

No... Statistics show otherwise in percentage of turnovers from each. Also, you have a much wider angle (baseline VS full court) to inbound the ball, so harder to defend all angles of the inbound. U can spread out more than you can in baseline.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
This is just looking for something to ***** about. Not only was it an attempt to ice a shooter on a critical free throw it allowed the team to set up the play as the plan was the same whether he made it or not. Take the last shot to win the game.

The fact they couldn't get inbounds sucks I agree but it's hard to put that on Prohm.

Tonight reminded me of Hoiberg's first season. Not knowing how to close a team out. This is a huge improvement over the previous three.

I have to disagree. ISU is terrible at getting the ball in play from out-of-bounds and has been for many years under Prohm. I have said many times that he should look at the out-of-bound plays run by Hoiberg. Seems like we scored on about 75% of the plays, especially after a time out, and I don't remember the team having any issues just getting the ball inbounds.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Hey we can’t shoot the basketball in to the hoop very well but it’s the inbounding the basketball that’s stopping us from being good at basketball!

Reactions: Macloney

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Hey we can’t shoot the basketball in to the hoop very well but it’s the inbounding the basketball that’s stopping us from being good at basketball!

The complete absence of rebounding doesn't have anything to do with it either.

It has all been inbounding, timing of timeouts and not being in ref's ears enough.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Lots of coaches call a timeout there. The problem is the continued inability to get the ball inbounds all over the court and not to even do the basic things we’ve all learned - inbounder runs the baseline, guys getting the ball run to the ball to take away the D angle. This is not a strategy issue, which can go either way, this is an issue of basic fundamentals, which is much more concerning, and, unfortunately, par for the course. Need a new coach, it’s just when that’ll happen.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I have to disagree. ISU is terrible at getting the ball in play from out-of-bounds and has been for many years under Prohm. I have said many times that he should look at the out-of-bound plays run by Hoiberg. Seems like we scored on about 75% of the plays, especially after a time out, and I don't remember the team having any issues just getting the ball inbounds.
So you're saying calling the timeout after the second free throw makes a difference? No, I'm not buying it. 20 turnovers lost the game not one. I don't believe in moral victories, however last night was the first time in quite awhile I'm actually looking forward to their next game.

Reactions: Macloney

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron