Audi Crooks commits to Iowa State

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This is great news. She's a wonderful young lady and teammate. She is exactly what ISU needs as far as a lane presence.

I was initially a little skeptical of the ranking but I'm coming around. Saw some nice interviews with her and she comes off as a very likeable young lady. Hope we don't do our usual "be seen and not heard" approach with her as I think she has the personality that maybe needs to be let out.

Reactions: Junejax

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
This announcement put a big smile on my face this morning. Now I’m hoping to see her develop through hard work and the attentions of the Cyclone coaching staff. Lots of potential here. If Zingaro continues to develop we will actually have some depth for several years.
Agreed in total - you can’t teach size, and these two have it! Now they need to use it effectively - exciting times for ISU women’s hoops keep getting better! A commitment from Kennedy Brown might be more than I could handle! Let’s go State!

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
A question I have that I'm requesting doesn't get sarcastic or negative replies but an honest answer (if you know): Was this some what of a surprise decision? Or were there hints of her choosing us all along? Thinking I stumbled upon articles that tied her to UI through family. Realize that isn't a be-all, end-all. Just curious is all.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
A question I have that I'm requesting doesn't get sarcastic or negative replies but an honest answer (if you know): Was this some what of a surprise decision? Or were there hints of her choosing us all along? Thinking I stumbled upon articles that tied her to UI through family. Realize that isn't a be-all, end-all. Just curious is all.

From what I understand is that it has been kind of an either way type thing. Sometimes State fans thought she was going to Iowa and sometimes to Iowa State. Kind of a coin toss. I know one thing, I know her and I know Jada G that is going to Iowa. I would rather have Crooks than Jada. Jada is super lazy and has a poor attitude when she plays against higher level competition. She gets down on herself and totally becomes ineffective. I don't know Audi as well. Just have seen her a few times. I have seen Jada play countless tournaments across the midwest. She is the classic case of dominate inferior competition and get dominated by better.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Until yesterday I think it was anyone's guess between ISU and Iowa. Wouldn't say a pick of either would have been a surprise.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Agreed in total - you can’t teach size, and these two have it! Now they need to use it effectively - exciting times for ISU women’s hoops keep getting better! A commitment from Kennedy Brown might be more than I could handle! Let’s go State!
It also marks somewhat of a transition from what ISU basketball was to what women's basketball in general has become. The physical nature of the game demands a strong post that can take up space and give the team both a rebounding edge along with a in-out game that dovetails nicely with our outside shooters. It was the one weakness that the team has lacked when you compare it to the Texas...South Carolina...even teams like Kansas State and Iowa. In fact, it advances a step beyond Iowa in that it primarily is a 1-2 team with Clark outside and Czizano inside. ISU will have an inside presence to go with multiple outside shooters. It will be fun to see how ISU develops this...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I can see her getting some NIL cash from the local Audi dealership.

Well, if she wanted to cash in on Audi's Audi she picked the wrong school since Iowa City actually has an Audi dealer. ;)

Might have lead to confusion on whether it's "Aw-dee" or "Ow-dee". Audi auto says it's Ow-dee which is generally how the given name is pronounced.

Leaves the door open for me to pull the old "I'm a better fan of Crooks since I drive an Audi!". :D

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Might have lead to confusion on whether it's "Aw-dee" or "Ow-dee". Audi auto says it's Ow-dee which is generally how the given name is pronounced.
Audi Crooks is pronounced Aw-dee, which is how many people pronounce the car (but as you said, the car company says it's "Ow-dee"). I've been pronouncing her name Ow-dee in my head, so I need to retrain myself.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I was initially a little skeptical of the ranking but I'm coming around. Saw some nice interviews with her and she comes off as a very likeable young lady. Hope we don't do our usual "be seen and not heard" approach with her as I think she has the personality that maybe needs to be let out.
This is a really nice four-minute interview:

I should also point out that she hits a three at the 2:50 mark in this video. I don't know if I've seen her attempt a shot outside of 8 feet in the games I've seen, but the ability is there. It's just clear that her role in high school is low post and nothing else.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
So women DO think that size matters??
dammit!
not-listening.gif

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I should also point out that she hits a three at the 2:50 mark in this video.
I looked up her three-point stats:
19-20: 0-0
20-21: 0-2
21-22: 5-10
I'm guessing she has the green light to shoot it now, but just doesn't find herself in that situation often.

Her overall FG% has been over 70% all three seasons. That's really impressive.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I had no idea but following recruiting isn't my thing

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
She is a great player and seems like a wonderful person. I enjoyed watching her high school team on TV last year. She was a dominant player. What a great pick-up for Cyclone Nation!

Welcome to ISU, Audi!

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I can understand questioning where she fits in with our scheme as she's a much different player than we've had in the past. But her combination of size, strength, footwork and shooting touch is unique to the point you bring her in and figure out a way to make it work with her. Great addition.

Reactions: CY74

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Of course. I do think if you are the unicorn post that actually plays like a post in AAU, though, you are going to have an advantage. Obviously she's playing top talent, but everybody pretty much plays like a PG or wing, and the gameplanning things that can give a post headaches are pretty tough to try to implement in an AAU format. As an example, my daughter played with a girl that is now a solid DII player. Rotation player on a good D2 team as a Fr. but she would dominate a lot of future D1 players in AAU because she was one of the only traditional post players that was super physical and lived on the block.

Now, she plays on CY Select, which I remember my daughter playing against them, and they were pick you up full court, push pace all the time. I'm not sure if all their teams are like that, but she's going to run the floor better than people think.

The only time she seemed to have any problems with the pace was last year against N-F when they were playing like 14-15 girls, and subbing them in 4 and 5 at a time to press and run on EVERYTHING, while Crooks was playing pretty much every minute.

Also in regards to competition I think Garrigan played Valley either this year or last and I think it was like a 2 point loss. I might have dreamt that though.

Last year they lost to Valley IIRC. Bottom line is Crooks has some unique size and skills. She is a high character young lady as well. Very good student. At the very least Audi will be a good teammate who will contribute and be coachable. And she has great hands and good touch. Audi is an intriguing prospect.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC