Bad Bad Bad News... 6 Big 12 Teams Potentially to Pac Ten

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
I have no idea what to think. After reading all these posts and threads and then reading other blogs I am more confused then every. IMO I think we will be OK. I don't give two rat ***** where Iowa State goes I will still root for them no matter where they end up.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I don't believe for a second that UT and A&M would split up and never play each other in any sports. There's too much politicking/money involved when those schools compete. Though, I do get the feeling that A&M is the one that is clutching their relationship with UT more than the other way around; UT is quickly evolving into an alpha-god that won't have any shame in leaving its brothers behind.

ISUser

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2009
Topeka, KS
I'll start to believe it when I see it on on a major sports site. I'm more inclined to believe kg's theory of a 20 team Big 12 before this guy's theory.

At least I know kg is right every once in a while.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Maybe the Mountain West is positioning itself for this to happen. Takes non-BCS football power Boise State, then it looks to grab the Big 12 schools that do not go to the Big 10, Pac 10 or SEC. Once that happens it will become a BCS eligible conference that replaces the former Big 12.

Actually for ISU this would not be the worst scenario to be perfectly honest.

This doesn't sound too terribly bad.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Who is left out?

I'm assuming that you would get to 20 by Nebby and Mizzou going to the Big 10, then the remaining 10 Big 12 teams merge with the 10 Pac 10 Teams for the Big Pac 20 or whatever you want to call it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I know the guys who run OrangeBloods and they would not have run this story unless they were absolutely sure of its legitimacy. This is NOT fluff journalism..

Actually, journalism without acknolwedged sources pretty much is fluff journalism. So it's fluff journalism.

At this point, the stuff I've thrown around in this thread is just as substantial in terms of journalistic value, and it's not published anywhere until I make it up and throw it up on the Interweb.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
The author spent years with the main Dallas newspaper as a key member of their sports division. He is a respected journalist. Now, having said that, most of these things have been in the jumping the gun category. But earlier this week the Cal chancellor said the Pac 10 was on the verge of revolutionizing college athletics.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Maybe the Mountain West is positioning itself for this to happen. Takes non-BCS football power Boise State, then it looks to grab the Big 12 schools that do not go to the Big 10, Pac 10 or SEC. Once that happens it will become a BCS eligible conference that replaces the former Big 12.

Actually for ISU this would not be the worst scenario to be perfectly honest.

Then again color me surprised if Stanford and or Cal ever vote to allowing OU, Texas Tech or OSU to join the Pac 10.
Been saying it for months, everyone gives me crap, but in the next 3 years Utah will be a conference opponent not an out of conference opponent.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So A&M holds our faith? Bill Byrne, ex NE AD? This must be a TV plot.

Why does not Big 12 go make a land grab on four to six more schools: Arkansas, Iowa, Illinois, ASU, Minnesota? Let's invite them Friday.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
Just because they're inviting teams doesn't mean the teams have to accept.

So basically all the talk of the Big XII/Pac 10 Network was smoke and mirrors?

I just want all this **** to be over with.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I can see ISU, KU, KSU, Baylor, Houston joining up, joining up with MWC..maybe adding a Memphis...not bad

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
So A&M holds our faith? Bill Byrne, ex NE AD? This must be a TV plot.

Why does not Big 12 go make a land grab on four to six more schools: Arkansas, Iowa, Illinois, ASU, Minnesota? Let's invite them Friday.

What in god's name makes you think any Big 10 school would leave the Big 10?

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
So if I start a thread saying the Big XII is getting 30 more schools from around the nation does that mean its going to happen?

...looks like I'm going to be gone for a while writing the first post for this new thread then.

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
My sources, close to the situation, are telling me that new conference (the Pac 16) would be broken up into 2 groups, characters and critters.

Characters:
USC
UCLA
ASU
Stanford - tree as mascot
TT
OU
OSU
Texas AM

Critters:
AZ
CAL
Oregon
OSU
Wash
Wash St
Texas
Colorado

==>This explains why the Pac 16 would take a school like TT over Baylor (a Critter). Not sure where a potential Cyclone would figure into this. Cy is more like a critter, but a Cyclone would qualify as a Character. We'll have to wait and see how all this unfolds.

Reactions: bobbomo

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron