Barntown is really really good

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Also, Kinship in Waukee is a newer brewery without a kitchen. It’s right off the bike trail that will take you by 515 and Confluence if you’re into riding.
Honestly have not had a beer from Kinship that wasn't good! Really awesome to have them close to me! They don't have a kitchen, but do bring in a food truck, which has good appetizers and really good "wood fired" style pizzas.

Reactions: MJ29

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Honestly have not had a beer from Kinship that wasn't good! Really awesome to have them close to me! They don't have a kitchen, but do bring in a food truck, which has good appetizers and really good "wood fired" style pizzas.

I'm looking forward to checking out Kinship after I pop out this baby and maybe when the weather is nice enough to enjoy their patio. I keep reading/hearing good things.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
There’s not much that PR brews that isn’t really good, at least that I’ve had. Love their PAs and stouts. Next time I’m up there I’ll look for the Pils and hopefully the taproom will be able to reopen soon.

I ran into the taproom manager a week and a half ago or so (having a beer at Dixie's), and he was thinking sometime in early April, IIRC.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Have you guys tried out Gezellig in Newton yet? Fantastic selection. They did a roggenbier that was absolutely fantastic. Hidden gem in Central Iowa.

Would love to, but just never have a reason to get that way. Much like Marto.

They did a collab with Singlespeed that was really good.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

Only been to Kinship once right after they opened so they didn’t have a lot on tap yet but I remember really liking their kolsch.

Can confirm the pizza and wings from the food truck they had was good

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I understand why they do it. I would do the same if I was that good at making them and they got that kind of response.

I'm just saying I don't care for them, and feel that a lot of cutting edge breweries aren't putting the time or focus onto styles that interest me more. Barntown's amber, golden ale, and wit aren't the kind of beers that interest me. High quality lagers, foeder sours, things like that. I realize that slushee foofoo beers move the needle these days and that you're going to see a lot of them. Just lamenting the trend, I guess.

You need to check out Lua Brewery in downtown DM on High St. The founder is the former brewer at Big Grove. They're making the best beer in the metro currently in my opinion, including some stellar Dunkels, Pilsners, Bocks, Hefe's and other old world styles. Of course, the hazy IPAs, fruited sours, and massive adjunct-laden stouts are on point as well.

Reactions: Cyjacks

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Pulpit Rock makes the best pastry sours I’ve ever tasted- they’re phenomenal, but hey if you’d rather drink piss than go ahead.

Anyone wanting good quality traditional beers should be going to Confluence.

Agree. I love my hazy IPA's and enjoy a nice dessert stout once in a while, but it's so nice to be able to turn to Confluence to scratch that itch for traditional styles that dont taste like desserts.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You need to check out Lua Brewery in downtown DM on High St. The founder is the former brewer at Big Grove. They're making the best beer in the metro currently in my opinion, including some stellar Dunkels, Pilsners, Bocks, Hefe's and other old world styles. Of course, the hazy IPAs, fruited sours, and massive adjunct-laden stouts are on point as well.

Lua is great. I was there about a month before COVID.

I knew the head brewer when he was at Forager in Rochester. He’s a good dude and an exceptional brewer.

Reactions: cycloneworld

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well I'll throw in a good word for River Hops in Ft. Dodge. Brewmaster/owner is a great guy and I haven't had a beer there that wasn't good. I'm not much of an IPA guy, but his are smooth. Really enjoy his lagers, Irish red, and porters, makes a excellent peanut butter stout and a oxbow orange that is probably my favorite beer there.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Dimensional and Lua are both excellent. Dimensional is a great tap room, and that whole neighborhood of Dubuque is cool, and has a major "up and coming" vibe to it. I like 7 Hills (other end of downtown) as well. They have good food.
I really like the food at 7 Hills too. You would probabaly like Textile Brewing in Dyersville. They have a more traditional philosophy and they nail those styles.

Reactions: Al_4_State

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Love Barntown. Their food is vastly underrated. Their French onion burger melt is one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had. Their brunch is great too.

Their beers are a bit gimmicky but they are a great change of pace than everything else out there. Their smoothie beers are very different but good.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Have you guys tried out Gezellig in Newton yet? Fantastic selection. They did a roggenbier that was absolutely fantastic. Hidden gem in Central Iowa.
You used to be at the Cellar right? Great place.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
There were some mentions of a good brown beer. I had a Big Rack brown or porter the other week at Bait Shop that wasnt too bad.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Ok, Nancy, enjoy your cupcake beer. You might want to wash it down with some cranberry juice, I hear it's good for you when you are having your period.
misogyny looks good on you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron