Beer of the Week

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
For some reason I thought they were making Corona in the states now...

Modelo is distributor of Corona and they may be doing both. The stats are that Corona is the biggest import, whether some is bottled here or not.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Re: CycloneFanatic Beer of the Week

I like erdinger, that is tasty. The beer I was wanting to try is Widmer.

Widmer is good - definitely worth trying at least. If I have the choice between Widmer and some other similar beers, I'll usually go elsewhere, but you won't be upset that you bought beer from them... It's been almost 2 years since I had my last Widmer.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Budvar, can't find it here but it is the origination of Budweiser. It's a czech beer that's a 'major' beer in the Czech. But I digress, AH is my major brabd of choice here, so it's a no brainer. I drank a lot of Stella Artois overseas too, now it's finally hitting our area. But the best beer of all time is a Guinness product called Kilkenny's. You can't get it here, but it's a Red Irish stout similar in look to Guinnes but it tastes like mother's milk. God I love it!

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Budvar, can't find it here but it is the origination of Budweiser. It's a czech beer that's a 'major' beer in the Czech.

I've found it here in the Twin Cities at Trader Joe's.

I also had a train layover in Ceske Budweis, which is where it originated. IIRC, the Czechs are none too happy that their "Budweiser" was stolen by us Yankees.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
No doubt, I didn't mention to them my fondness of the knock off. Doubt they'd understood me if I did. I make note of it to make a stop next time I'm up that way, thanks for the info.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Because I'm more of a foriegn beer advocate I'll go with Paulaner Hefe Weizen as a recomendation, first tried it well in Germany and while not my favorite beer overall I know I've seen it in a resturant or two and in Hyvee on occasion.

isufox

Apr 19, 2006
Aurora, OH
I thought Friday would be best too. I would like to get a list of suggested candidates from those who are interested.

Here are the ground rules:

1) No beers from major domestic breweries. That means no beers that are widely marketed by the big two of Anheuser-Busch or MillerCoors.

Off limits are beers like Killian's (Coors), Rolling Rock(AB), Blue Moon(Coors) and Leinenkugels(Miller), Pabst(Miller). These are common beers and really aren't eye openers.

Domestic beers that are fair game? Beers from minor regional breweries like Schell, Iron City, Spoetzl and our own Olde Main Brewing Company in Ames, IA.

2) Beers must be locally available at liquor or grocery stores. We're not going to put a Westvleteren as a candidate for Beer of th Week. If we can't find it on the shelves, it's not going to make the cut. We will always post where I purchased it, and how much it cost.

3) No two consecutive beer types. We will try to always have contrasting beers types, locations and flavors from one week to the next. So you will never have a lager-to-lager, or stout-to-stout during BOTW.

Broodwich, you may want to consider that if you choose a beer on Friday that the stores may not have enough of your suggested BOTW in stock. May I suggest you choose a beer earlier in the week and contact your local stores to let them know that they may have a few more people buying this particular beer due to your BOTW and that way it will give them time to buy additional stock before everyone comes in. This will give everyone has a chance to try the beer before the week is up.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
Broodwich, you may want to consider that if you choose a beer on Friday that the stores may not have enough of your suggested BOTW in stock. May I suggest you choose a beer earlier in the week and contact your local stores to let them know that they may have a few more people buying this particular beer due to your BOTW and that way it will give them time to buy additional stock before everyone comes in. This will give everyone has a chance to try the beer before the week is up.

While I would like to flatter myself and think that this is going to make a huge run on beer, I think I'll wait and see how this goes before calling stores. I want this to be easy for everyone, I don't need a second job. I'll talk with some of the others and release the first suggested beer on Thursdays, meaning tomorrow.

Check back tomorrow AM to get get kicked off.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't drink, but how about some Spotted Cow or Fat Squirrel by New Glarus Brewing Company? Like I said, I don't drink, but the names make me laugh when I see one of their delivery trucks in town.

LINK

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I don't drink, but how about some Spotted Cow or Fat Squirrel by New Glarus Brewing Company? Like I said, I don't drink, but the names make me laugh when I see one of their delivery trucks in town.

LINK

Spotted Cow is excellent.

iceclone

Nov 26, 2006

LINK

Unfortunately you can't get them outside of the Madison area (and possibly elsewhere in that part of Wisconsin), so we would need you to make a pretty long beer run for us.

I usually get a case or two of Spotted Cow whenever I'm there.

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
Whenever I go to Chicago I try to drink the stuff I just can't get here. Duvel is good. Moling's is probably my favorite. Budvar is really good too. Now that I think of it, one could almost start a thread on here as to where to get good beer around here.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Unfortunately you can't get them outside of the Madison area (and possibly elsewhere in that part of Wisconsin), so we would need you to make a pretty long beer run for us.

I usually get a case or two of Spotted Cow whenever I'm there.

Wasn't aware of that.
Let me go find a black Trans Am and a CB radio, and I'll see about that beer run. (cue Smokey and the Bandit theme song)

Last edited:

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Whenever I come across a show on the History channel or any other channel that has alcohol in it, I usually watch it.

Did you know that before the Great Depression America was known for having the best beers? Then during the depression (and Prohibition) they had to water down and get more out of the raw ingredients. It's disappointing in a way. If things had gone differently maybe the Germans would be coming to America for our Beerfests.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Whenever I come across a show on the History channel or any other channel that has alcohol in it, I usually watch it.

Did you know that before the Great Depression America was known for having the best beers? Then during the depression (and Prohibition) they had to water down and get more out of the raw ingredients. It's disappointing in a way. If things had gone differently maybe the Germans would be coming to America for our Beerfests.

I'm still doubtful that they'd be coming over here, part of their beer celebrations is the tradition and when most Brewers over here didnt get their start until the 1800's its not near as storied as some of those in Europe.

I also second the motion to make the selection earlier in the week as to allow people to plan ahead, I'm guessing not everyone on here checks CF every day